PDA

View Full Version : Question about Overworlds...

LostInHyru1e
07-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Hello! I'm new around here.

The quest I am thinking about making involves the use of more overworld space then one DMap would allow me. Is it possible to designate TWO DMaps to serve as overworlds?

What I plan to do is have one Overworld serve as a Dark World and one serve as a Light World. They would connect at certain parts, but would mainly be two seperate overworlds.

If I designate two DMaps as Overworlds, will there be any ill-effects?

Thank you.

erm2003
07-11-2007, 03:52 PM
It's done all the time. You just have to set your warps up correctly.

LostInHyru1e
07-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Okay! Thank you!

I have another question, though. I also want to have 11 dungeons: 3 of which don't have Triforces as the end, and instead have items that are necessary to proceed.(Like the raft or the whistle) If I wanted to set the first 3 dungeons up to not have Triforces at the end, is there anything special I should know?

The_Amaster
07-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Well, you'll have to make special warps at the end, so that people don't have to go all the way back out, because you don't have a triforce to warp them. Other than that, you should be fine.

LostInHyru1e
07-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Thank you all for the answers!

I have another question: I see a lot of games that don't have traditional Zelda graphics OR B.S. Zelda graphics. How would I use graphics that were, say, ALttP?

The_Amaster
07-11-2007, 05:54 PM
PureZC (http://www.purezc.com) has a huge database of different tilesets that you can use. Depending on the file, you either open it as a quest, or use the Import->Tiles or Import-> Combos function.

Plissken
07-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Or if you want graphics from a game that's not on PureZC you can you the rom of that game and use the program ROMview in the newer alpha builds of ZC.

LostInHyru1e
07-11-2007, 07:18 PM
That site was absolutely awesome! Thank you!

I found a set with the Oracle games tileset, and I think I want to use that. But I have a question about it, if you wouldn't mind answering.

I see that it allows you to place people. In order for the people to talk, I assume you would need Text Boxes. Is there any way in Zelda Classic that I could make and assign a text box? Otherwise, I think that tileset would be fairly useless.

EDIT: I don't have a rom of any of the games. Where could I find one, and how could I strip the graphics into ZQuest?

erm2003
07-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Just another tip, level numbers 1-8 correspond to Triforce dungeons. Make sure you give a level number higher than that for your item dungeons. It doesn't indicate an order you have to complete them in, just corresponds to the piece.

The_Amaster
07-11-2007, 07:22 PM
The only way to assign text to them is a complex thing involving insta-warps and multiple screens. Most people just use them to look cool in towns and such, or place them inside buildings and assing strings to those screens.

LostInHyru1e
07-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Okay, so the item dungeons have to be lvls 10+? That's good to know. I probably would have screwed that one up.

And I can't do text boxes? That stinks. So all I can really do is strings, then.

All very good to know! Thank you all so much!

LinkMaster500
07-17-2007, 02:55 PM
To have people talk to Link, you do not need to insert a text box on the screen that displays the message. You can just have the message itself. The purpose of the text box would be to put some kind of border around the text strings to make them easier to read (similar to what we see in RPGs).

LostInHyru1e
07-17-2007, 09:54 PM
I would need to create an entire map for text boxes! And how would I warp Link to the screen to read the text box and then warp him back to stop the reading? And how would I have Link not show up walking on the text box?

The_Amaster
07-18-2007, 12:04 AM
1.) Yes you would.

2.) Make a tile warp right in front of the person. Unfortunetly, this means that the message will display if you just walk in front of them, instead of pressing A.

3.) On the second screen, place direct warps all around the area where he shows up, so when he walks away, the message "dissapears"

LostInHyru1e
07-18-2007, 12:16 AM
...But then, wouldn't Link be in the screen with the text? And that would mean that people inside houses couldn't be assigned text boxes, as when he was warped back you couldn't have it choose between in front of the person and at the door where he entered.

Text boxes seem flawed at this point. I think I'm just going to skip them all together.

Joe123
07-18-2007, 06:28 AM
Yes he would be in the screen with the text.
Why does that mean that people in houses can't have text boxes?
You just have to put them nearer to the bottom half of the screen so it doesn't warp you onto the string so when it's finished you can walk back onto a direct warp. And if you use a Direct Warp combo, it doesn't take Link to where the blue or green squares are, it takes him to the same place as where he warped from.