PDA

View Full Version : whoa.... build 461 ~ 10.7 megs

Freedom
07-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Gone are the days of the 2 meg ZC
Feel sorry for you dial up guys and gals.

Seems ZC is growing some nads ;)

DarkDragon
07-09-2007, 11:25 PM
It seems quest sizes have exploded recently - I'm pretty sure at least one of custom SFX or custom scripts are to blame. In either case, if I get to the bottom of the bloat I'll see if anything can be done - in addition to taking up a lot of space, big quests load slowly.

Freedom
07-09-2007, 11:36 PM
2.5 megs of it is 2 extra 1st quests. ;)

NICE JOB GUYS on that classic tileset makeover.
NICE organization!

DarkDragon
07-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Thank BigJoe for that; he and I believe several other PureZCers submitted them to me.

pkmnfrk
07-09-2007, 11:59 PM
I bet you guys could get away with only distributing the *changed* files. I.e., 99% of the time only ZQuest and ZeldaW.

DarkDragon
07-10-2007, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I was thinking of writing a script to do that, but then figured that the current system would be overall simpler. If deltas were published instead, at best a tester who hasn't been keeping up with the builds will need to hunt through a bunch of builds looking for changed files; at worst he'll miss one and then complain about mysterious errors.

bigjoe
07-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Thank BigJoe for that; he and I believe several other PureZCers submitted them to me.

You are more than welcome to cut NewDefault back down to what it was in Zelda Classic version 1.90(Yes, thats a decimal point), and instead let the current "New Default" be submitted somewhere as a custom tileset.

he and I believe several other PureZCers

I just had to laugh at that one.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm not trying to start a fight. I just sort of resent the esteem to which you hold 'PureZCers'

pkmnfrk
07-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of writing a script to do that, but then figured that the current system would be overall simpler. If deltas were published instead, at best a tester who hasn't been keeping up with the builds will need to hunt through a bunch of builds looking for changed files; at worst he'll miss one and then complain about mysterious errors.

Or, depending on how much server space you (or whoever's actually hosting the builds) have, you could make two distributions...

(or, you could give me access to the repository, and I would only have to download source changes ;))

DarkDragon
07-11-2007, 09:02 PM
You are more than welcome to cut NewDefault back down to what it was in Zelda Classic version 1.90(Yes, thats a decimal point), and instead let the current "New Default" be submitted somewhere as a custom tileset.
I'd rather not; new quest authors opening up 2.5 should not have to hunt down on their own a tileset/subscreen that doesn't contain many confusing omissions.

I just had to laugh at that one.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm not trying to start a fight. I just sort of resent the esteem to which you hold 'PureZCers'
Please do make clear who is responsible; you deserve the credit and I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about ;)

Dark Nation
07-12-2007, 06:56 AM
I trimmed NewDefault down a bit before committing by having it save without the sounds. To make it any smaller, it would have to be compacted, which would mess up the combo layout. Though, I suppose that the executables could be compressed with upx.

ShadowTiger
07-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Perhaps let the Depository have a permanent and constantly updated "Support Files" archive, while all the files that are actually changing are included in each update, while all others which aren't are not? The warning text could also thus include links to the Update page as well as the link to the support archive with the remaining base files. Then it would tell people how to "install" the files, i.e., in which order to replace files in, in case people are confused by the process.

Freedom
07-12-2007, 12:20 PM
When those 2 extra proposed quests get pulled back out that will help, and then the proposed quest that gets turned into first quest will mean 1st quest is pulled out, for more savings, and if you really wanted to maybe Romview could be offered separately for an additional savings of 600+ Kb since players wouldn't probably be interested in that file.
Face it, ZC is just growing up. ;)

zcAmazing
07-12-2007, 01:58 PM
I noticed that there are MIDIs loaded in the specs and something recorded in dMap 1 in this updated new default tileset.

Luigi
07-12-2007, 02:22 PM
I noticed that there are MIDIs loaded in the specs and something recorded in dMap 1 in this updated new default tileset.

That and header, message string, shop types and info types, all of which aren't needed (although it's probably a bug).

Pineconn
07-13-2007, 11:42 AM
NICE JOB GUYS on that classic tileset makeover.
NICE organization!

I agree, the new organization is very nice. But shouldn't the overworld water tiles be organized so that they could be used with relational dungeon carving? Just a small suggestion. But otherwise, the organization is much better.

Revfan9
07-13-2007, 07:19 PM
*raises hand as the sick bastard who fucked up the combos*

Yeah. That was me. My bad. I don't entirely know how Dungeon Carving Mode works, so I didn't include it.

Also, if I still used ZC, my dial-up would be crying right now... 10 megs a build...

Pineconn
07-13-2007, 11:39 PM
And kudos to whomever created the new items for the classic tileset. They keep an excellent classic feel.

Yeah, I have no idea how to set up dungeon carving either, which would be a total nightmare for n00bs to make. I tried, and it was a disaster.

Nicholas Steel
07-14-2007, 01:26 AM
just compress the exe files with upx and youll save like 2 or 3mb in size. (even if the package is zipped up)

zcAmazing
07-14-2007, 01:37 AM
It loads quicker now.

There is still 1 MIDI intact in the specs. Number 252, the Final Fatasy 3 boss music. (music for the fight with Ganon)