PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to 2.11?

Russ
07-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Gosh, I've been cotemplating this subject for about three months now. I have been thinking about upgrading the quest I am working on to one of the alpha builds of ZC. I have heard many great things about them. But I have also heard about many bugs in them. What bugs do I risk by switching my quest to build 254? Or should I just wait untill 2.5 is released? Is 2.5 supossed to be released this year? Please give me some advice.

erm2003
07-05-2007, 11:24 PM
Well, only you can make that decision. How far are you into the quest? If you are just starting, then it may be helpful to move up and play with the new features to see if you want to use them. If you are pretty far along with your quest and you have the rest of it planned out, then why upgrade if you aren't going to use the features?

Either way you go, your new quest will be playable in 2.5 either as a 2.10 quest or a quest build in the newest version. Weigh all the options and pick what is best for you, but remember... the builds are not designed for quest building even though they have been fairly stable. If you decide to use the builds, make backup copies of your quest so that if something goes wrong, you don't have to start from the beginning.

SpykStorm
07-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Is 2.5 supossed to be released this year? Please give me some advice.
It should be released soon since their only fixing bugs until release.

Rakshiba
08-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Can I get a link to where I can download 2.11 please.

Russ
08-01-2007, 01:08 AM
http://shardstorm.com.

Build 254 is the stablest and lest likely to crash. It is the only one really fit for quest building.

AmazingAmpharos
08-01-2007, 01:17 AM
I am not sure I agree. A lot of the very recent ones are pretty fit for quest building. I haven't seen anything game ruining about b500, for instance.

Rakshiba
08-01-2007, 02:13 AM
I'm confused. It deletes everything I do as soon as I leave the quest editor?

Do I need to remove 2.10 for 2.11 to function properly?

Petoe
08-01-2007, 05:07 AM
Agh! Do NOT use build 254! It is pretty good and stable, but it is not compatible with the newer builds and the upcoming ZC 2.5!

Gleeok
08-01-2007, 05:37 AM
Agh! Do NOT use build 254! It is pretty good and stable, but it is not compatible with the newer builds and the upcoming ZC 2.5!

Well said.

My advice: Wait till 510 or whatever it's gonna be called due to some minor but critical changes.

ShadowTiger
08-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Remember, there's no such thing as a "Truly stable" build. I'm sure that a lot of bugs that you find can be discovered by merely using the program on your own unique computer! I found some bugs on some computers that weren't on other computers I'd used when using the exact same version from the exact same zip file from the exact same source.

Also, some bugs aren't really all that bad. They're bugs, yes, and need to be stomped out, but they're anything but gamestopping. :shrug: If there was a pushblock that wouldn't move, THAT would be a gamestopping bug! If there was an animation problem, that'd be an annoying bug. But if the worst bug that's found in the version you're using is that the Boomerang sound stops when it hits another boomerang or whatever, ... are you going to avoid that version because of that, when everything else works beautifully? It's like Seinfeld all over again.

Then let's also remember that in fixing bugs, (Which is a modification to ZC's source code, (Which is how adding these bug-ridden features is accomplished.) not some magical wand that's waved over the base files.) can also introduce more bugs. Everything and Anything that you do can cause dramatic changes in ways that you can't quite see until it happens.

So yes, the builds are becoming more and more stable as time passes. More and more progress is being made towards that "perfect" 2.5. You may as well use the latest builds to build your quest and report any bugs you find along the way, so the next version you upgrade to will be that much less buggy.

Also, saying "Build 254 was relatively stable!" is as relative a measure as any of the builds' stabilities. Technically, it's far buggier than Build 500 is. :p You just don't notice the bugs as much. That's what makes these Builds so buggy, when they can be. That you notice the bugs.

Rakshiba
08-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Is having build500 a A bad Idea?

The reason I want a beta so bad is that I'm taking a break from ordinary quest building.

And Why when I try to start the actual game up it say "Can not find saved game file"

ShadowTiger
08-01-2007, 11:47 AM
You can copy and paste the .sav file into your new Beta folder fairly easily. :shrug: I believe that all versions start out, from the unzipping, looking in the same folder as the unzipped files ended up in, so put it there. Indeed, it's generally a good idea to keep everything in the same folder, though starting a new folder for each individual beta.

Rakshiba
08-01-2007, 11:57 AM
For some reason copying the file titled "zc.sav" in to the folder for the beta doesn't solve the problem?