PDA

View Full Version : Good LCD monitor brand?

vegeta1215
06-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Hi all. I'm looking to buy an LCD monitor to replace my CRT monitor, and I was wondering if any of you could recommend a good brand? (or model if you happen to have one)

I really like Dell's Ultra Sharp monitors - my Dad just got the Ultra Sharp 20.1 inch widescreen monitor from Dell, and it is really nice. I would get the same, but it is too big for me. I'm leaning towards a 17 inch LCD, but I want one with a 4:3 aspect ratio instead of 5:4 which seems to be more common. (all of Dell's LCDs that aren't widescreen are 5:4, except for maybe the 15 inch one)

So, 17 inch LCD, 4:3 aspect ratio. If it supports full 16.7 million colors, that is a plus.

Brasel
06-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Whatever you do, don't buy a StarLogic. Mine is a piece of poo. It might be that I'm not using a DVI cable though. It looks washed out on VGA, and it came with a dead pixel, on top of the fact that you can see refresh lines or whatever. I really like having a gigantic screen though. 20.1 Widescreen is really neat when you're working on two screens at once, but I can understand if you want a smaller one. I had originally wanted a smaller one, but I got it for Christmas from my dad who usually thinks bigger is better.

We have Dell LCD's at work and they are really nice. I don't work on one personally, but I work with other people's computers enough to notice the quality.

Beldaran
06-21-2007, 07:20 PM
How come you don't want a huge shit eating monitor?

I have a Samsung LCD that was inexpensive and is reliable and good looking. I think I got it at Costco or something.

biggiy05
06-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Viewsonic is a nice brand.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116010

Sceptre 19". They are 50/50. It just depends on the monitor when you get it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824112177

AtmaWeapon
06-21-2007, 08:00 PM
The nerds I've seen have been masturbating to Dell ultrasharps for a while now so you can't go wrong with them.

From my observations, some HP flat panels look dead sexy in the store.

Samsung always seems to have something that is recommended and in a fairly decent price range, but I'm kind of scared of them since my Samsung CRT has a dead pixel. Yeah, there's a pixel stuck black on my CRT, imagine that.

Also if the price is really cheap and the brand name is something that makes you go "who are they" like, I don't know, StarLogic or Sceptre, it might not be such a good deal.

Gerudo
06-21-2007, 08:30 PM
i have a Sceptre 19" lcd. got it from sam's club auctions for ~250 about a year and a half ago. only had like 1 dead pixel, and it looks ten times better than this piece of garbage regular HP monitor i am forced to use.

AtmaWeapon
06-21-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm not talking about the low-end hp ones I'm talking about the ones that look all shiny and gorgeous like their upper-end laptop ones and oh man

DarkDragoonX
06-22-2007, 01:04 AM
Xerox makes one of the best LCD monitors I've ever seen. (http://www.xerox-displays.com/XA7series.html#HorizontalViewingAngle) THis thing is great. YOu can view it from the most extreme horizontal angles with ease, it has a great refresh rate. It's got perfect brightness... none of that washed-out fuzzy look you get with so many other LCD screens. You can even mount it on the wall. The screen is also protected by a glass cover, making it amazingly easy to clean.

This thing is seriously one of the best damn monitors out there. I highly reccomend it.

vegeta1215
06-22-2007, 07:42 PM
I pretty much know what I want in a monitor, but I'm concerned mainly about aspect ratios and resolutions.

I have a 17 inch LCD monitor at work, and it is set at 1024 x 768 (4:3) It's native resolution is 1280 x 1024 (5:4). 1024 x 768 makes everything a good size, but the streching (although very small - most people other than me would not notice it) bugs me. Changing it to 1280 x 1024 clears that issue up, but everything is way too small. I've heard that some monitors can do letterboxing, if you use a 4:3 resolution on a 5:4 monitor for instance. This pages talks a little about that: http://www.dansdata.com/danletters064.htm Not sure if that's a monitor feature or an OS feature though. X.Org has some letterbox option, but I have no idea what it does (I've never used it)

Any body know about these kinds of things? I'm really picky when it comes to buying things. I want the best for what I need, and I notice small aborations that 6% streching would cause etc.

AlexMax
06-25-2007, 03:26 AM
Seriously, if you think that shit is too small at 1280x1024 on a 17 inch LCD, just bite the bullet and get a 19 inch. Same native resolution, but bigger pixels means less eye strain. And I know that if you have an nvidia card, you can make Windows letterbox your display (and also have the graphics card do scaling instead of the monitor, which looks tons nicer and is sometimes faster), but I've never dealt with it in Linux.

And my Viewsonic VP930b has been amazing for me so far. It can even tilt on its side, though sometimes the tilt sensor gets mixed up and I'm left with a sideways OSD, but you can tilt the OSD manually if you like.

vegeta1215
06-25-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm sure you can do stuff like that in Linux, I've just never really needed to before.

I may just go ahead and get the Dell monitor my Dad got ( http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4688), cause I haven't been able to find any others I like, and I don't want to settle on a budget monitor. I think it won't won't be so bad if I set it on the corner of my desk and view it at an angle (my desk is small to look at it straight on without my eyes hurting) Or I'll just buy a new desk.

Mak-X
07-01-2007, 09:10 PM
I have a Dell 2001 FP. I'm actually thinking about getting a 19" CRT for the occassional PC game. The 16ms response rate my monitor has is too slow for me to enjoy games, and I dislike how everything must be scaled to its native resolution, 1600x1200. Other than that, it has nice viewing angels and the colors and black levels seem very good. I would have bought a smaller LCD monitor, 19 or 17", if I had known about response time and native resolutions.

vegeta1215
07-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Well, I wound up getting an LCD monitor this week, and I'm using it right now! It's a Samsung 906bw, which is a 19 inch widescreen. It has great color, 2000:1 contrast ratio (I know, crazy huh?), and 2 ms response time. I just hooked it up, so I'll post again after using it for a while.

Best Buy has it on sale this week for $220, so anyone else looking for a nice monitor should check it out.