PDA

View Full Version : The Pompous Ass Words Web Site:

ShadowTiger
06-21-2007, 09:49 AM
http://www.pompousasswords.com/ (http://www.pompousasswords.com/) - A website that will show you which words shouldn't be used, lest you appear to be an ass.

That is the essential summation of the site. So, let's all appeal to the public and dumb down our vocabulary so nobody will feel left out of our epic conversations.

o_°

mrz84
06-21-2007, 10:19 AM
:sweat: So I have to avoid using all of those words just to not make others mad or whatever? I'd rather just poke them with a stick. Like so. :poke:

Yoshiman
06-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Haha, we had to learn about 80% of those words for vocabulary tests in high school. :laughing: They must have the same book series we used.

mrz84
06-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Haha, we had to learn about 80% of those words for vocabulary tests in high school. :laughing: They must have the same book series we used.

The only word I reconized from ANYWHERE in my life is the word seppuku becuase I've studied japanese culture/history since high school. :kitty:

mikeron
06-21-2007, 12:35 PM
These don't belong on the list:

hirsute
endemic
carapace
torpor
myrmidon
shambolic - this one is debatable
matriculate
pusillanimous
cogitate
quotidian
"fait accompli"
seppuku
tendentious
risible

That website reminds me of the club G.R.O.S.S. from Calvin and Hobbes.

The_Amaster
06-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Indeed, after perusing this site after my piscine dinner upon a salver, I did find it sopoforic and it induced in me a state of topor, a parlous situation, as my shambolic male sibling attempted to engage me in palaver, resulting in my animadversion, followed by the urge to micturate. His recondite rictus did not amuse me, and I took it as a casus belli. His risible defense against my pulchritudinously executed attack was more of a cavil than anything more serious.

I know Myrmidon thanks to Magic: The Gathering and the Myr. :D

Prrkitty
06-21-2007, 02:30 PM
hirsute = excessive hair growth...

So using that implies dumbness? <blah>

Pineconn
06-21-2007, 03:25 PM
That sucks, because I've used the word carapace before. So that means I have offended others?

mikeron
06-21-2007, 03:32 PM
That sucks, because I've used the word carapace before. So that means I have offended others?Yes, and Blizzard has offended millions.

Glenn the Great
06-21-2007, 08:35 PM
I use a lot of these words on a nearly everyday basis, and many of them come from video games. World of Warcraft in particular does wonders for one's vocabulary.

ShadowTiger
06-21-2007, 11:26 PM
I was the only one in my first grade class who knew what a Trebuchet, a Ballista(e), and Mameluk were. All thanks to gaming. :shrug:

Pineconn
06-22-2007, 09:41 PM
A trebuchet is a catapult... and that's all I know. You knew more sophisticated words back in elementary school that I do in high school. :p