PDA

View Full Version : See you in New Mexico!

Pineconn
06-21-2007, 01:33 AM
(Not really.)

Well, I figured now is the time to post this. This upcoming Saturday (the 23rd) I'm boarding a plane to fly to New Mexico. Why?

I'm going on a two week backpacking trip in the Rocky Mountains. The name of this trip is Philmont, in case any of you have heard of that. My crew will be hiking ~65 miles, with ~40 pound backpacks, over a freaking mountain. Some days we'll be climbing 2000 feet, others we'll be going up and down and up and down and up and down.... et cetera. Naturally, none of the days are very flat. Bleh.

I've been preparing for this trip. Already I've lost about 16 pounds within 1 and a half months (I should've started sooner), and most people lose an average of 17 pounds while on the actual trip (so I'll be nice 'n' thin when I get back on July 7 :p).

Before the trip, however, we'll be doing a little sightseeing in the beautiful, bustling city of... Albuquerque, some whitewater rafting along the Rio Grande (perfect!), and probably a little shopping... woo-hoo. But at least we'll be staying in a hotel for a night before the actual trip. :D

I'm pretty much set for the trip, though. All I really need in a notepad so I can write a quick log every night (which I'll likely post here), and maybe a camera to take some pictures (which I'll also likely post here). For having paid a little over a thousand bucks, I'm hoping I'll get a lot out of this trip and not just be reeeaaaalllllly tired during the whole thing. I'll be sure to be online tomorrow... for the last time in two weeks.

erm2003
06-21-2007, 06:09 AM
Philmont is an awesome experience. I went in the summer before my sophomore year in high school. You are going to want to take pictures while you are on the trail. Make sure you bring some extra film or an extra camera or you may run out. I am guessing you are taking the northern route heading up toward Baldy and then back down to the Tooth? I will definitely be looking forward to seeing some of your pictures!

Pineconn
06-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Um... I'm not too sure of the route we're taking, but when I find the sheet that has all that, I'll post it. The only thing that I've actually fully studied is the elevation chart. :p

The only thing I'm really worried about is if I will ever have the doubt of "I don't think I can make it" come across my mind. If I ever do get that train of thought, I'm kinda screwed.

erm2003
06-21-2007, 03:35 PM
I am sure you will be fine. If I remember correctly, the first day is a shorter hike to get you started. Once you get through the second day you will see that it's not bad at all and you will have a great time. There is a lot to do and see on the trail and at each camp along the way. You'll love it!

Cloral
06-21-2007, 04:13 PM
I went to Philmont too. Great place.
Do you know what events you are going to be doing? We did a trip that focused a lot on shooting, so we got to do black powder rifles, 30-06 rifles (military grade firepower), and clay pigeon shooting with shotguns. Other events we did included homesteading, rock climbing, blacksmithing, and tomahawk throwing.
Oh, and be sure to watch out for the Pemmican bars. :)

erm2003
06-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Oh, and be sure to watch out for the Pemmican bars. :)

With 27 essential amino acids!

Pineconn
06-22-2007, 06:42 PM
My last day! :(

I finally found the info on the trip. According to the book, we're traveling through Old Abreu, Crags, Lost Cabin, Beaubien, Beaubien (again, I suppose?), Black Mountain, Red Hills, Cyphers Mine, Cimarroncito, and Tooth Ridge. This is my expedition's blurb:

Fly fishing persons will love this itinerary as several rivers run through this trek. Tour Waite Phillips' famous Rayado Lodge at Fish Camp on your way to a two-day layover at one of Philmont's premiere western lore camps, Beaubien, where horse rides, boot branding, and a chuck wagon dinner awaits your crew. Hike along the South Fork of the Urraca to Black Mountain and experience blacksmithing, post civil war settlers, and black powder rifle shooting. Even more program is available at Goron Cyphers Mine where you can pan for gold and be on your way to Cimarroncito's rock climbing camp. On your last day, your crew will hike over the Temple Tooth of Time.

It sounds pretty similar to your trek, Cloral. No mention of Pemmican bars, though... hehe.

Thanks for all your input about Philmont. It sounds great, and now I'm not as unsure of the experience as I was.

erm2003
06-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Good luck and have fun Pineconn. I will be looking forward to hearing from you when you are back!

Cloral
06-22-2007, 08:30 PM
I don't have my old itinerary anymore, but looking on the web for places that offered the events we did, I think our trek was:

Abreu(Homesteading, cantina)
Urraca Camp(Ropes Course, ghost stories)
Miner's Park(rockclimbing)
Black Mountain(blacksmithing, black powder rifle)
Comanche(trail camp)
Thunder Ridge(trail camp)
Sawmill(30.06 rifles)
Harlan(shotgun shooting)
Clarks Fork(chuckwagan dinner)
Shaefers Pass(trail camp)

Going back and putting this list together made me remember all the things we did on that trip and how much fun it was. You'll definately have a good time on your trip.

You should enjoy Black Mountain. It was one of my favorite spots. It was situated in a nice valley, and the guys who ran the programs at that camp when we were there were a lot of fun.

Pineconn
07-08-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm back. :) I'll be sure to make a new thread of everything that I did, along with pictures (as long as my film didn't get screwed up when passing through airport security crap).

erm2003
07-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Awesome! Welcome back! I can't wait to hear about your adventure. :)

Pineconn
07-11-2007, 03:56 PM
My pics are currently being developed, and I'm unsure if they'll come out. Regardless, since I kept a journal, I'll type that up and be sure to post it. Ah, how nice it is to eat... food! :eat: