PDA

View Full Version : Meet Sylvia and Rusty

Beldaran
06-19-2007, 09:19 PM
I recently became a member of the ASPCA (http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer) after seeing one of their commercials on Animal Planet while watching the animal rescue show. As part of the packet I recieved, they sent pictures of two animals that will benefit from my contribution. Since I can't have an actual pet in my apartment, these are like my long distance pets. :)

Meet Rusty and Sylvia:

http://www.forrestkyle.com/photos/rusty.jpg

http://www.forrestkyle.com/photos/sylvia.jpg

It only costs $18 a month, and it helps give the ASPCA more resources to fight animal cruelty and abuse. You also get a free t-shirt and a subscription to the ASPCA newsletter.

mrz84
06-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Sylvia look so cute! :kitty: Rusty's ok, too.

Pineconn
06-19-2007, 09:48 PM
It's pets like those that really make you want to get one. It's pets like this one (http://www.planetblackandwhite.com/features/mailbag/nasty.jpg) that makes you want to hide under your bed for a few hours, tops.

Dechipher
06-19-2007, 10:16 PM
It's pets like those that really make you want to get one. It's pets like this one (http://www.planetblackandwhite.com/features/mailbag/nasty.jpg) that makes you want to hide under your bed for a few hours, tops.

That's so sad...

SUCCESSOR
06-19-2007, 11:14 PM
I wonder if those are the prettiest pets they could scrounge up. Those pets don't look like they need help. More likely they need auditions for some pet health commercial.

Beldaran
06-19-2007, 11:16 PM
The pictures are undoubtedly taken after they've recieved help.

Lilith
06-19-2007, 11:52 PM
for a skeptic you're pretty easy, son

Beldaran
06-20-2007, 12:02 AM

What? I think the ASPCA is legitimate. If you're referring to Rusty and Sylvia, I'm not so dense as to believe that my money directly saved them and that's why I got pictures of them. I'm sure those are just file photos. But still, the organization does save animals.

Prrkitty
06-20-2007, 01:22 AM
Very cute animals. :) I watch a lot of the Animal Planet channel and like a lot of what the ASPCA represents. :)

AtmaWeapon
06-20-2007, 01:33 AM
Rusty looks pretty cool but you should ask them if you could help another cat. I don't know something about the look on her face makes me think she's the kind of cat that there's a reason no one takes her in. We've got one just like it back at home and after shots and constant pampering with wet food and treats he decided he liked it at a neighbor's house better and won't even let you pet him unless you've bribed him with lots of stuff. He used to be affectionate and he was my favorite too :(

I know you aren't actually caring for the pets but just sayin, see if you can trade her for something that needs help more like a kitten or a goldfish or something :)

Also why is every dog that looks like that named Rusty?

The_Amaster
06-20-2007, 11:43 AM
It's nice to know that another person out there is helping fight against animal cruelty. And they do look pretty darn cute.

Pineconn
06-20-2007, 01:05 PM
To actually comment on the topic, I'm glad you've decided to help the ASPCA. Never heard of 'em, but I'm sure they do some good to pets.

But please remember to help control the pet population. Have your pets spayed or neutered. Goodbye everybody!

Darth Marsden
06-20-2007, 01:13 PM
I've never been much of a dog person, but the pair of them look nice. Glad you decided to help out animals in need, one more thing to get you into heaven (wink wink nudge nudge)

Glitch
06-20-2007, 03:53 PM

ahaha QFT

Beldaran
06-20-2007, 04:10 PM
If by "QFT" you mean "completely fucking incorrect" then yes, I agree with you Glitch.

The_Amaster
06-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Never heard of 'em,

You've never heard of the ASPCA? They're only like the biggest Animal Rights organization out there.

Glitch
06-21-2007, 10:31 AM
If by "QFT" you mean "completely fucking incorrect" then yes, I agree with you Glitch.

You apparantly have no idea how non-profit businesses work. Out of that $18 a month you're sending them I bet less than $1 of it is actually being used towards the cause you are trying to support.

If you really want to help sick and abused animals go adopt one from your local animal shelter or make a donation to them directly. I can guarantee you that the money will be much better used will benefit the animals themselves much much more.

Beldaran
06-21-2007, 11:14 AM
If you really want to help sick and abused animals go adopt one from your local animal shelter or make a donation to them directly. I can guarantee you that the money will be much better used will benefit the animals themselves much much more.

If you really want to participate in threads go and read all the posts. I said I live in an apartment and can't have pets.

Also, you are incorrect in your analasys. You argue I should go adopt a pet. From whom? Where I live, and in many other places, the animal adoption clinics are funded by the ASPCA. So if I want to adopt a pet, there has to be an organization that rescues pets, rehabilitates them, and puts them up for adoption. That's what the ASPCA does.

Not only do they help rescue and rehabilitate animals, but they lobby for anti-cruelty legislation, and help put together legal cases against the abusers so they can be prosecuted and jailed.

So yes, I know that a very small percentage of my $18 is buying catfood, but it is helping to fund a large organization that does a lot a good.

Also, you should demonstrate some evidence that 1/18th of all money donated to the ASPCA is completely wasted on nothing, otherwise your statistic is probably something you made up.

Darth Marsden
06-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Ok. Beldaran basically gives $18 a month to a charity, right? A charity that helps animals, but a charity nonetheless. That's always a good thing. That's an extra $200 a year to aid a good cause. Now they can spend that $200 however they want - cat food, medicine, shelters and so forth - but whatever they spend it on, the end result is the protection and care of helpless animals.

End of.

vegeta1215
06-21-2007, 06:16 PM
That's a really nice thing your doing Belderan. We have a golden retriver ourselves. They are great dogs.

AtmaWeapon
06-21-2007, 07:56 PM
You apparantly have no idea how non-profit businesses work. Out of that $18 a month you're sending them I bet less than $1 of it is actually being used towards the cause you are trying to support.Yeah because it's totally possible to run a national organization with hundreds of branches and spend none of your donations on establishing infrastructure and soliciting for donations.

Since I can't have an actual pet in my apartmentYour tl;dr is showing. I mean yeah he could just make a donation to the animal shelter but what makes that non-profit organization have so much less potential for corruption than the ASPCA?

biggiy05
06-22-2007, 06:06 PM
I'm a big animal person, all the animals but the two of the geckos in my family were adopted or taken in because we found them running loose with no owner. I'm involved with finding animals homes and even help transport them to the next house from time to time. Fuck snakes though...never taking one of those in my car to Cleveland again.

The ASPCA is huge and that $18 may not all go to helping said cat or dog but when you add the $18 from EVERY member in the organization it goes a long way. Not to mention there are how many celebrities that make million dollar donations, Bob Barker is a perfect example.

They also advertise on tv, run a website, send mail and newsletters. That also takes money which is where some of that $18 comes in along with the bigger donations. Like Atma said they also have branches all over the nation. That costs money too.

Donating to them is no different than going to your local animal shelter and giving money. Hell some shelters need to be shut down because they aren't properly maintained.

He donated money to a good cause. I donate every time I go to PetSmart and give to shelters around here sometimes.

By the way Glitch. you're cat is a freak. My kitten could kick his ass.