PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 Beta Questions

LinkMaster500
06-19-2007, 10:51 AM
1. Where is the link to download the latest beta for the new ZC?

2. Are there any completed, unpassworded quests done using the 2.5 betas?

Luigi
06-19-2007, 11:57 AM
1) http://www.zelda.sjnetwork.net/alphabuilds/389-windows.zip

2) There's Neofirst (http://www.greyfire.org/~l/NeoFirst_L.qst), although it's not complete.

elise
06-19-2007, 12:03 PM
http://www.shardstorm.com/
there you can find all the alpha versions , there isn't a new beta

LinkMaster500
06-19-2007, 04:21 PM
What exactly are these "alpha versions?" Are they updates made to the new ZC before its ultimate public release (assuming that there are still bugs in it that have yet to be fixed)?

Majora
06-19-2007, 04:30 PM
In the world of Software, it goes like this:

Full Version > Beta > Alpha (Build)

Basically, and Alpha (also called "Builds") is a version that the developers have not tested, or tested very little, as opposed to a Beta, where it has been mostly tested. Serious quest building should be done at your own risk. Alphas are meant for bug testing only, meaning you CAN make a quest, but a quest that tries to test as many features as possible, and not be a quest that is your idea. The ONLY build thus far safe for Quest Building is 254. I should know, I've been using it for a good while now. They are released more frequently than Betas.

LinkMaster500
06-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Thank you. My concern is this. I've been using the previous version (2.10) to make my quest, and I've been reluctant to use any of the betas for 2.5 because of potential bugs that could mess my quest up. Plus I have quite a way to go before I finish.

I'm thinking that what I should do is to continue making the quest using 2.10 (to avoid bugs) and then once 2.5 is fully released, use that if the game is not yet finished (to take advantage of the new features). I'm just worried that if I finish it using 2.10 that some ZC users will be turned off because it won't have the new features. But what do you all think?

Obviously, one reason to use a build version would be just to learn the new features, how they work, and how to use them.

erm2003
06-19-2007, 05:11 PM
It depends on if you plan on using the extra features or not. You can always make a copy of your quest and play with it in the builds to see what else you want to do. If there isn't anything you plan on using that 2.5 will offer, remember that the new version should play 2.10 quests just fine so you won't run into any compatibility issues.

LinkMaster500
06-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Okay. I've read in the WARNING-READ.txt file that "Active development of quests on this build is not recommended." So it might not be a good idea to make a big, full-fledged quest with the builds just yet.

What I'm leaning towards is finishing the game using 2.10 since that's what I started with, and nothing turns a ZC user away from a quest more than one that has lots of bugs in it. Maybe I will make a backup copy for use with the 2.5 builds so I can learn how the new things work and how to use them.

One more question: Let's say that 2.5 is fully released, and my quest still isn't done. Will there be any problems if I just convert my quest to 2.5?

The_Amaster
06-19-2007, 06:00 PM
No, there shouldn't be. It's fully backwards compatable.

LinkMaster500
06-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Thank you once again. I'll just wait until the full release before using 2.5 for active quest making. Maybe I'll make a "sequel" to my existing quest that will have the new 2.5 features then.