PDA

View Full Version : Lost Isle Preview

Petoe
06-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Hi, people of AGN. ;)
Since not all of you visit other ZC forums, I'll post this here too:

----------

Here's a brief update on the status of Lost Isle - a quest in the making. As always, I know the lack of demo will frustrate some people, but I'm sure this small newsflash is better than nothing for those who are waiting for LI.

This is a link to the Lost Isle thread at the ZC Spring Expo 2006: http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19804
(Yeah, that was over a year ago, the quest is oh so late...)

Now in addition to that expo thread, let me tell a few new things about LI and then show some new screenshots:
-The quest is almost finished (in a few weeks) and after that it is time to start the final testing stages. Unfortunately I have no clue how long the testing will take because Wolfie and I will not release the quest before it is a bugfree and enjoyable game. But I'm almost certain it will be released during July unless something goes horribly wrong.
-For what version of ZC will Lost Isle be released?
Well, since there is no sign of ZC 2.5 and Lost Isle wouldn't work on it anyways, we decided to take the most stable build there is (build 254) and ask the developers to fix some bugs so that the b254 could play LI perfectly. Well, DN did us that big favor and therefore LI will be released for b254c (or whatever the official name of our LI specific ZC build will be).
We will release that LI specific ZC build with Lost Isle, and that same build will play DFW's newest quest Origin as well.

Lost Isle Facts:
-------------------
-A duo quest created by DarkFlameWolf (Hidden Duality, Isle of the Winds) and Peteo (Dr. Wily's Revenge)
-Will be released for a specific ZC 2.11 build that will play both Lost Isle and DFW's upcoming Origin perfectly
-The quest takes place on a huge deserted island, though the island is not completely dead yet...
-Lost Isle has a bit of a Metroid-ish feel since Link is all alone in a hostile and haunting environment
-Only 5 main dungeons, but all the optional levels and adventures expand the quest a lot if you dare to accept the extra challenges
-Lots of shortcuts so that backtracking and traveling doesn't become a borefest
-New ways of solving dungeons and puzzles
-New kinds of gameplay mechanics and tricks (LI is taking advantage of some of the newest ZC features)
-The limited amount of Shields and Potions will give players some serious thinking and planning to do
-Custom bosses and custom enemies
-Custom Subscreen
-Some new graphics (enhanced Pure and Minish Cap graphics + Lots of original custom tiles and sprites)
-A thorough and massive Readme file (by Wolfie) will be included with the Lost Isle .zip file

Lost Isle screenshots:
---------------------------

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Finnishflesh/01.gif
The title screen of Lost Isle. Press down to start playin'.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Finnishflesh/02.gif
Wake up, Link. You have a new adventure ahead of ya.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Finnishflesh/subsc.gif
Subscreen of Lost Isle. Lots of planning went into this one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Finnishflesh/03.gif
Jumping down. I personally like these shortcuts alot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Finnishflesh/04.gif
Getting a major item gives you a text box and a nice fanfare.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Finnishflesh/05.jpg
Some hot lava cave action.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Finnishflesh/06.gif
"Go away, bush!" Link slashing away in a dungeon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Finnishflesh/07.gif
Now this is an interesting looking place...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Finnishflesh/08.jpg
Morir es vivir, morir es vivir...?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Finnishflesh/09.gif
Talking to a friendly(?) undead fellow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Finnishflesh/11.jpg
Under the graveyard, there's this dark uncomfortable dungeon...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Finnishflesh/12.gif
What? Finally a custom boss screenshot?

If you have any comments or questions, fire away. Again, I don't know the exact release date, and the reason I posted this thread is I just want to prepare you guys for the upcoming LI release. But all other kinds of questions are welcome.

- Pete

ShadowTiger
06-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Heheh, how many testers do you want to take? :blah: I'd gladly sign on. (I believe you and C are intimately familiar with my overexplanative visual testing method.)

I'm not going to say anything like "OMG THESE SCREENSHOTS LOOK AMAZING!!!" and start licking your shoes. You already know all these things (Both of them. :( ) and I would just be wasting your time. It's more DFW & Peteo action.

_L_
06-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Subscreen of Lost Isle. Lots of planning went into this one.That looks so nifty that my eyes are watering.

Getting a major item gives you a text box and a nice fanfare.I presume this uses those MSGSTRV codes which were recently introduced?

(That reminds me: maybe I need to code it up so that Link holds the item up for as long as the message string is onscreen.)

ShadowTiger
06-17-2007, 10:49 AM
I presume this uses those MSGSTRV codes which were recently introduced?254c isn't that recent. :shrug: Besides, like Freedom, they tend to use Graphics to do what they need to do. Peteo did it in MMDWR, Radien did it in DoR, and more.

(That reminds me: maybe I need to code it up so that Link holds the item up for as long as the message string is onscreen.)Would be nice. :blah:

_L_
06-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Ah, but of course.

(You mean there really is a quest called "Dance of Remembrance"? I should have suspected.)

ShadowTiger
06-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Aye! And it's quite brilliant (http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?showforum=78).

(Also read: How to steal Peteo's thunder.) Sorry. XD

Petoe
06-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Lol, no problemo.

And yeah, ST is right about that message box... it is made with graphics, no code involved. But Lost Isle is using a few scripts so at least it is taking some advantage of that spectacular feature...

Joe123
06-17-2007, 02:42 PM
The screenshots look nice, and obviously I'm excited about the quest - but surely you could have picked a screenshot without bad grammar in it?... 'You got Ocarina'? Maybe I'm just being akward, but I think that having good spelling and grammar helps to make a quest better - I just played HoD and it was amazing, but the spelling was one of the few things that made it seem not quite as good.

The_Amaster
06-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Sweet. After many months/years of vauge referances and mentions, the day soon approaches. Can't wait, can't wait! :kawaii:

Petoe
06-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Well Joe, I can assure you that the grammar and spelling in Lost Isle is not bad at all. darkFlameWolf and most of our testers are very fluent English speakers and they have gone through all the text in this quest many times. :)

And what's wrong with "You got Ocarina!"? You got Link's Sword, you got Wooden Boomerang... I see nothing wrong with it. You got an ocarina? You got the Ocarina? O_o

Joe123
06-17-2007, 07:05 PM
Ah ok, sorry.

'You got Ocarina' is just wrong though. I think it's because it doesn't have an article. 'You got Link's Sword' is fine because it's a proper noun, but 'You got Boomerang' also isn't a proper noun, therefore it and Ocarina both need an article.
I think. Don't quote me on that though ¬_¬

WindStrike
06-17-2007, 09:10 PM
-The limited amount of Shields and Potions will give players some serious thinking and planning to do
That's the only thing on there that I'm concerned with, considering how hard IotW and HD were (since I can't get 192 183 to work, I can't do anything in your mega man quest Petoe, so I didn't play that one much). Ah well - extra challenge to the ridiculously awesome looking quest.

Speaking of which, you haven't quite hinted on the difficulty of the quest... unless you're going to go by the testers' responses. And by difficulty, I'm referring more typically to the main portion rather than the side quest stuff.

One more thing: Is there any chance you might release some of those sweet custom tiles? Most particularly the cave tiles - been dying to have something better than the LttP ones... and my recoloring of the MC ones, although nice, aren't quite flexible enough.

... differential between "Pure" and "Custom" graphics seems almost too much... I dunno... not saying it's a problem, but it's as if Lost Isle is two different quests (then again, when made by two different people...). Tis cool either way.

DarkFlameWolf
06-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Yes, the graphical styles AND design methods of each of the developers, I think, only adds, not detracts from the quest itself. The quest itself feels like a whole world rather than seperate, individual areas.

As for grammer: YOU GOT RAFT! XD

As for difficulty: It starts off relatively easy with a few minor tricky spots. For the most part, it eases the player into the quest, but the more you explore, the trickier the areas become and the more you will have to rely on the items you acquire to survive. (This is especially true with your bow and arrows) And Bait will have a more prominent strategic role in the quest, esp. since many of the enemies are attracted to it. The quest, imo, doesn't start getting rough until around level 3, spikes hard in level 4 and doesn't let up from there. Didn't feel a need to use a single potion until around level 4. As for the magic shields, I kinda needed a new one after every level. Those Grasps are evil.
Trust me when I tell you, only a perservering player will finally see the climatic end and beat the quest. Its taken me about 12+ hours so far to beat the game and I know what the heck to do!

Petoe
06-17-2007, 11:16 PM
WindStrike,

I know my previous quest Dr. Wily's revenge was very tough, but there's no need to worry about Lost Isle being as insanely tough. Lost Isle is actually a quite easy quest up to Level 3 or 4, but then it starts to get challenging. You need some perseverance and skill to complete the game, but to me games like Wily's Revenge and Hero of Drems feel more tough, so the difficulty of Lost Isle shouldn't be too much to handle. :)

And what comes to tiles, I definitely have a plan to release the cool cave and dungeon tiles of Lost Isle. I really don't like the basic Pure dungeon tiles at all.

Pineconn
06-17-2007, 11:31 PM
I know my previous quest Dr. Wily's revenge was very tough, but there's no need to worry about Lost Isle being as insanely tough.

Good. :) Because I can confirm of the difficulty of DWR (and IotW and Hidden Duality).

Is it me, or does it look like there are hidden words at the top of the subscreen, reading "Lost Isle" and "By Wolfie"? I'm just that observant. :p And I agree, the subscreen looks very professional. Much better than Minish Cap's.

And, of course, all of the screenshots look excellent. You may remember that I've been following this quest since the first thread that started it all, and coming from two excellent quest makers, I can wholeheartedly guarantee that this will be a very fine quest.

If only the QDB were up! :D

Petoe
06-18-2007, 09:09 AM
If only the QDB were up! :D

Amen to that!

Oh and you are probably the first one to interpret the secret message on the subscreen correctly. Congrats for that, lol. :)

Aegix Drakan
06-18-2007, 09:26 AM
0_0

That's all I can say to this.

just plain 0_0.

I'm grabbing this as soon as I can. It looks awesome.

ShadowTiger
06-18-2007, 10:29 AM
The Subscreens do indeed look excellent, but does Link's positional marker really have to be black? :shrug:

I mean, .. does it?

Petoe
06-18-2007, 11:24 AM
The Subscreens do indeed look excellent, but does Link's positional marker really have to be black? :shrug:

I mean, .. does it?

Well... ummmmm... yeah, it has to be. The Link marker must be the same color as the subscreen background so that when there is no map, you cannot see Link's position. *shrugs*

C-Dawg
06-18-2007, 01:16 PM

I mean, .. does it?

As opposed to a more appropriate color for Link, like, say, fuschia?

WindStrike
06-18-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm not saying the difficulty will be a problem neccessarily for me, seeing as I did beat HoD and IotW (... I uhh... deleted my HD profile before I hit Level 9; I played HD Extreme and hit Level 7 before completely giving out). Just wondering on the general scale...

And what comes to tiles, I definitely have a plan to release the cool cave and dungeon tiles of Lost Isle. I really don't like the basic Pure dungeon tiles at all.
Thank the heavens - that'll make cave building much easier on my part, judging by how awesome it looks. And it'll probably ease me a little more on the dungeon building - same thoughts with the pure dungeons.

... although I did see the "hidden words" before then, I just never noted it, so for the record, Mr. Pineconn takes the interpretation award.

As opposed to a more appropriate color for Link, like, say, fuschia?
Fuschia as an appropriate color for Link? I dunno... that just seems... odd. I understand the reasoning for black, but that can be misleading on the position. Ah well - I'm sure everyone can figure it out when they actually play the quest.

If only the QDB were up!
I can't even access the main site anymore.

DarkFlameWolf
06-18-2007, 05:03 PM
if you can get up to level 7 of HD Xtreme, then you should have no problems with Lost Isle.

C-Dawg
06-18-2007, 06:05 PM
Fuschia as an appropriate color for Link? I dunno... that just seems... odd. I understand the reasoning for black, but that can be misleading on the position. Ah well - I'm sure everyone can figure it out when they actually play the quest.

It's sarcasm, junior.

Pineconn
06-18-2007, 09:25 PM
... although I did see the "hidden words" before then, I just never noted it, so for the record, Mr. Pineconn takes the interpretation award.

Sorry! :p

(I didn't post everything I wanted to say about LI, I just didn't want to overload my message.)

I couldn't help but notice that the "more" icon is in the very top-left of the screen. Is this intended? I would think that it would be centered on the bottom of the text box, à la mostly all the Zelda games. (Or, perhaps if your message boxes appear in different places, then it would be impossible to keep a definite place on the box for the icon...)

I also couldn't help but notice that there is no Rupee counter... Will Rupees not make an appearance?

_L_
06-19-2007, 02:20 AM
'You got Ocarina' is just wrong though. I think it's because it doesn't have an article. 'You got Link's Sword' is fine because it's a proper noun, but 'You got Boomerang' also isn't a proper noun, therefore it and Ocarina both need an article.
I think. Don't quote me on that though ¬_¬

The simplest compromise, I suppose, is to slip in a colon after the word 'got'. "You got: Ocarina" perchance?

Petoe
06-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Agh, how can anyone seriously have a pet peeve with "You got Ocarina". >_<

The simplest compromise, I suppose, is to slip in a colon after the word 'got'. "You got: Ocarina" perchance?

Thanks, _L_. Not a bad idea at all. Have to think about it.

DarkFlameWolf
06-19-2007, 11:06 AM
I'd do it, its only two dots on each graphic. :P

C-Dawg
06-19-2007, 08:34 PM
You Got Orcarina
You Got Orcarina
You Got Orcarina
You Got Orcarina
You Got Orcarina

DarkFlameWolf
06-19-2007, 08:45 PM
naw, my personal favorite is: YOU GOT RAFT!

Petoe
06-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Well you two are havin' some fun, eh?

But whatever, you can make fun of my item boxes as much as you want, I don't care. :p

4matsy
06-20-2007, 09:51 PM
eh, you're doin' it all wrong...if you REALLY want some stylish Engrish, use "OCARINA GET!" or some derivative. :p

WindStrike
06-21-2007, 07:39 PM
Or...
"Item up! Gain Ocarina!"
... lame rip-off of leveling up apparently.

The current way is fine to me - the dots, in my opinion, would just look silly.

Completely non-related note unless it's actually in LI, nice avatar Hypercrash. That actually in 2.5? O_o

... YOU GOT BOMBS! Put dots in that. :p
YOU GOT FIRE! Burnination for the win!

DarkFlameWolf
06-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Wow, I can see Lost Isle will live in infamy for no other reason than for the finnish engrish.

DarkFlameWolf
06-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Good news! Petoe is just finishing up the last major area of the quest and all that's left is about 5 or so mini-areas and the entire quest will basically be complete. (minus final extensive testing!) So a month or so more at the most folks! (if testing goes well and when we get the final LI Beta from Dark Nation)

SpacemanDan
06-26-2007, 11:09 AM
It seems the grammer issue has carried over from PZC to here now, huh? Meh, the Zelda games have never been all that good with grammer. :P
But away from grammer, those screenies are lookin' shnazzy! :p
I'm not all yoo worried about dificulty. (I died over 100 times in IotW, so I'm not one to easily give up. :D)
Looking forward to this!

jerome
07-06-2007, 05:33 PM
if you can get up to level 7 of HD Xtreme, then you should have no problems with Lost Isle.

Hidden Duality:Extreme Edition -0-gamed
http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/8241/zelda005rb6.png (http://imageshack.us)

I think I might be able to handle it. The new dungeon screens is what I like the best so far!

DarkFlameWolf
07-06-2007, 08:03 PM
yes, but how many restarts did you have to do? XD

Petoe
07-07-2007, 03:19 AM
Wow Jerome, that's an accomplishment! O_O

Anyways, a newsfalsh for people who don't view other ZC forums: Lost Isle is one mini dungeon away from completion. If everything goes according to plan, the quest will be released in a few weeks time. ^_^

WindStrike
07-07-2007, 02:25 PM
I hope by "few" weeks you mean closer to a couple weeks , because if it goes any longer, I'll have to play it in the little off time that I get between the days of Band Camp... bugger. And half of that break time = getting ready, eating, showering, brushing teeth, and bed... and when the length goes 12 hours from 9, then I'll have absolutely no time whatsoever until the weekend. :(

Ah well, even so, ye need not rush on one person's part.

Pineconn
07-11-2007, 05:28 PM
So a month or so more at the most folks!

Yeah yeah yeah, I've been down this road before, like going through all the delays for Twilight Princess. This means that it'll be 3 months till the release. :p

DarkFlameWolf
07-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Well final testing has been raging for 2 days now. It is crazy, bug reports like locusts! But they are steadily being fixed and the quest itself is finished. We're just waiting for the testers to finish tearing it apart. Fix everything, then ask them to go through one more time! XD (hopefully)

Pineconn
07-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Sounds great!! Looks like you two beat me. My quest is nearing completion, but I still have a bit of the end boss to do. I succumb defeat [in a nonexistent battle!]!

DarkDeath
07-11-2007, 10:31 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
don't give up lol just hurry
up the boss. Oh and good
work on Lost Isle guys!

jerome
07-13-2007, 04:59 PM
yes, but how many restarts did you have to do? XD

Not that many as I thought I would. I didn't keep an actual count but all of the jars in the levels helped a lot since I have a lot of patience/freetime (which makes me wonder if there's a way to get rid of RETRY or have ZC keep count and maybe # of saves). Any restarts I remember were from the beginning of the quest, not really the middle/end. It's still a rough quest to get through, but I played it again after OUCH's Armageddon Forever Quest and then doing the original with only 3 hearts, no shield in 1-5 & 7 and no deaths until 6,8,9, no potions, and no rings up to lvl 9. The first time I played your HDXD quest I died 116 times. The second time through I remembered where all/most of the goodies were and all those hidden warps or hidden floor bombs spots that you seem to like to hide that I died trying to find. I had a little more practice dodging things since the first time I tried.

Wow Jerome, that's an accomplishment! O_O

Anyways, a newsfalsh for people who don't view other ZC forums: Lost Isle is one mini dungeon away from completion. If everything goes according t o plan, the quest will be released in a few weeks time. ^_^

Thanks-
Please don't think i'm knocking the quest either anybody, it looks GREAT! Heck, I'll probably be one of the first ones asking you guys where lvl 1 is! Just like everyone else here, I can't wait for it to be ready!

Pineconn
07-13-2007, 07:18 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
don't give up lol just hurry
up the boss. Oh and good
work on Lost Isle guys!

Umm... I'm not quitting, I'm just saying that they'll be finishing before me. ;)

DarkFlameWolf
07-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Update: Testing is shortly wrapping up. We're waiting on one last final update from Petoe, waiting on the remaining testers to wrap up their run-throughs and waiting on Petoe to actually start a new game and finish LI from beginning to end himself before we call it finished. :P So REALLY not long now! XD

Petoe
07-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Yeah, I'm hoping Lost Isle can be released around this weekend, but that is not a promise. We will do our best to release LI asap, but I don't wanna put any extra pressure on our testers nor on myself.

Joe123
07-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Aww shame, I'm going to Spain on saturday. I'll just have to wait till I get back then.

WindStrike
07-18-2007, 02:38 PM
... where's level 1? (JK)

Anyhoo, rechecked time of Marching Band and it's actually starting on the 29th, not the 22nd, so yippee!

So... I hope I won't have to do a ridiculous amount of backtracking in this quest, because I personally find backtracking... annoying.

The_Amaster
07-18-2007, 02:54 PM
*waits with bated breath*

Thsi is probably the most anticipated quest I've ever seen. After eyars of rumors, it's finally going to be released!

Petoe
07-18-2007, 03:25 PM
WindStrike, your worries are unfounded. Even though the island is big and the later levels are huge, the quest is full of different kinds of shortcuts. The player only has to activate these shrotcuts to take advantage of them later to avoid boring backtracking and travle. ;)

Amaster, seems like it, yeah. I mean Wolfie and I have tried to keep low profile and we have only stated facts about quest, not any nonsense hype like "LI will be the best thing ever, are you ready!?!". But seems like everyone is expecting LI to be a jaw dropping experience, which I hope it will be, but I'm sure there will be people who will dislike the quest. For example, the gloomy and sad atmosphere of the quest alone can turn off many players, so we'll see how the quest will be received. I can hardly wait to read people's comments after working my butt off for this quest about 2 years.

C-Dawg
07-18-2007, 04:33 PM
This quest is something of a milestone. The older members of the forum probably remember that I've always been skeptical that any group quest can ever be completed. As far as I know, this will be the very first collaborative effort resulting in a polished quest ... ever! Hopefully you guys will explain your coordination so others can try to replicate your success.

Since you and DFW both enjoy re-releasing different versions of your quests, and since I know your reputation for quality, I hope you go back and release a version using scripting to smooth over the wrinkles inherent in the old-school special effects. And scripted custom bosses, the fountain of all that is wonderful about the new ZC.

Shoelace
07-18-2007, 07:16 PM
I really can't wait to get my hands on this game as DFW knows. But I week or two is not that long of a wait. So I am happy. I know this game had a lot of heart and sweat put into it, so I know it won't disappoint.

Amaster, seems like it, yeah. I mean Wolfie and I have tried to keep low profile and we have only stated facts about quest, not any nonsense hype like "LI will be the best thing ever, are you ready!?!".

For some reason, that looked like a shoot at me and my game. My makerting campian had a slogan: "Are you ready?" Though, I never said my game was the best thing ever, but that seemed to be very simliar... /me crys.

C-Dawg
07-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Geez. No offense intended, but ... Aloha, Sir Whines-alot. I don't think these folks were "digging" anyone, they're just talking about their quest because they're excited about it, and want others to be, but they're leery of coming off as full of themselves. Perfectly natural, if sort of awkward.

Freedom
07-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Yea, I don't think Petoe was diggin' at ya shoe.

Shoelace
07-18-2007, 11:50 PM
I know, I was just kidding. I thought it was funny, consience though. XD

DarkFlameWolf
07-19-2007, 07:05 AM
Although....your avatar may give off the impression that you may be full of yourself Shoe, but I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt! ^_^

Petoe
07-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Ehm, my post wasn't really directed at anyone. I just took a random example. ;)

And C-Dawg, this may be the first succesful group/duo quest/collaborative (whatever you wanna call it) quest, but there were many times when our design ideas clashed and both of us were ready to quit every now and then. But somehow we managed to come this far, and since the quest is finished, nothing can't stop it fom being released anymore, so yeah... we have a finished and polished group quest here!
I really don't recommend group questing to anyone though, it was such a painful experience. Wolfie and I are such different kinds of questmakers with such different design philosophies that it isn't funny. I was like "we need lots of custom bosses, scripts and new items and tricks" and she was like "no no no, Lost Isle is more of a traditional kind of Zelda quest with only few items and one custom boss max!". Well, we fought over these kind of issues constantly, but fortunately we managed to make many compromises and the end result is something that we both can be satisfied and proud of.

And what comes to releasing a "Lost Isle Director's Cut" with tons of new scripts and improvements... well even though I think LI is perfectly fine the way it is and it is kind of hard to figure out a way to get tons of scriptable stuff in, the idea sounds very interesting. But on the other hand both me and DFW have had enough of releasing all these DC and Revamp versions of our quests, so we made an agreement that when Lost Isle is finished, that shall be it. No DC versions or anything.

Gleeok
07-19-2007, 09:13 AM
It's almost official: The hype for this quest is growing too large to contain for two forum sites. So how's the bugtesting coming along Peteo, and any chance in getting to play this thing sometime this year...JK.

(which makes me wonder if there's a way to get rid of RETRY or have ZC keep count and maybe # of saves).
Completely off topic: This reminds me! I had an idea for a quest to preempt cheating by setting NO start/continue points anywhere in a quest!!! And the starting overworld location contained permanent flags thats once triggered, they proceeded to block off the only path, making it so you had to start over if you ever died! ..I'm evil...I know...Now with 2.5 I can add save rooms though. The only problem is no one would ever wan't to play it, including me. hehe. ;) Not that i'm saying anyone's cheating though. jq2, and 3rd i believe I had a retry in. But hey, that still counts :D
-One quest I would like to play though, is LOST ISLE! ...no pressure... ;P

DarkFlameWolf
07-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Well, we constantly tell people to keep the hype in check, otherwise it'll drown out the quest. We want people to be surprised with it and have fun. But despite our best interventions, the hype continues to grow. We'd rather it kinda kept low, but its not something we can really help. Esp. if you put these facts together:

DarkFlameWolf - creator of Hidden Duality, Isle of the Winds + many others
and
Petoe - creator of Mega man: Dr. Wily's Revenge
Working together on a single quest.

That alone kinda blasts the expectations up insanely. Not something we'd like to have starting up a new quest, but regardless, I hope people see through the hype and enjoy it for what it is: A very well done quest that is not only free to play, but fun as well.

oceansoul22
07-19-2007, 11:07 PM
I would honestly like to think though having two solid questmakers work together and having both of them contribute to a project would give a more solid final product. There's just a lot more discussion involved in order to finalize the ideas of the project. I think this'll be the best quest out there, especially with custom bosses and other random custom stuff.

Probably the best quest since Dreams of Yesterday because this will present tons of originality that DOY did when it first came out. I'm sorta excited to see how the quest plays. Congrats for you two completing this

SpacemanDan
07-20-2007, 11:30 AM
I certainly have been anticipating this one, but don't get me wrong, I don't my expectations over the roof. (I guess it's a good thing I only made it to level 3 in MMDWR before all my saves got wiped... THAT made me mad!! ...or I just may have expected more. :P j/k)
Good to see it's finally going to be released, regardless of the troubles you two may of had.

EDIT: Nice pic of the island, DFW.

Petoe
07-21-2007, 11:48 AM
After all the troubles, the release will feel 10 times better than a normal quest release, Blaman. :D

I just finished my 100&#37; run through Lost Isle:
Play Time - 15 hours
Death Count - 40 times

15 hours is quite long, expecially for a guy like me who knows the quest thoroughly. So it is safe to expect that a new player to the quest can easily spend 20 hours playing LI.

C-Dawg
07-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Not released yet, huh? I thought you were finishing the testing this weekend.

DarkFlameWolf
07-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Release date: July 23rd, 2007

Gleeok
07-22-2007, 12:55 PM
People will also need the player, that might be the hold up.

Release date: July 23rd, 2007

Ooh, a release date.
*note to self: don't just release a quest, have a release date also.*

Petoe
07-22-2007, 12:57 PM
I will post a link to the player soon so that you AGNers can download it in advance as well.

And yeah, Lost Isle will be released tomorrow morning American time. ;)

Pineconn
07-22-2007, 02:24 PM
God dang it! One more day! You know how to make a man both excited and anxious with anticipation at the same time!! :p

And wow, that LI drawing is excellent, Wolfie.

Petoe
07-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Everyone can download the LI specific ZC build here:
http://www.sephiroth.ws/ZC/Lost-Isle-Build.zip

With that out of the way, only the release of LI remains ahead... ;)
Hoo boy, can't wait for tomorrow...

Pineconn
07-22-2007, 02:34 PM
You can't wait for tomorrow? :tongue:

Thanks for the ZC build, though. No great quest can be played without a great quest player.

Petoe
07-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Yeah, you heard me, can't wait! I've been working on this quest with the lovely but sometimes so nerve wrecking DFW for 2 years so I can't wait to release this baby! XD

And the player isn't bugfree, but it is made specifically for Lost Isle so aftre heavy testing I can promise it plays Lost Isle perfectly excluding some small enemy behaviour weirdness.

WindStrike
07-22-2007, 02:55 PM
I can't WAIT for tomorrow! ... because I'm not waiting. I'm doing stuff until then. :) But yeah, I'll probably be up by 6:30 EST, look at the SSBB update, and then refresh madness PureZC or AGN, which isn't waiting. It's refreshing- *SHOT!*

Petoe
07-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Well 6:30 EST is a bit too early, but somehwere around 10:00 EST is more likely. ;)

Pineconn
07-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Isn't it EDT? Ah, whatever.

That reminds me, I forgot to check on the latest SSBB stuff for a week.

DarkFlameWolf
07-22-2007, 03:53 PM
well, it may be a monday, but at least people will have a treat when they come home.:D

Pineconn
07-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Not me, after I complete the Lakebed Temple (for the 7th time, mind you), I'm going straight to the intrawebs tomorrow morning! Good ol' summer vacation.

Shoelace
07-22-2007, 05:17 PM
O_O. Yay, Monday and Tuesday are my days off. JOY!

Luigi
07-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Y'know, all the people playing LI won't be able to bug-test the alpha builds for a while... ;)

Petoe
07-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Y'know, all the people playing LI won't be able to bug-test the alpha builds for a while... ;)

Well I guess that becomes my job then. ;)

DarkFlameWolf
07-23-2007, 07:18 AM
Welp, closing this down since its served its job well as a 'hype' machine. A new, separate topic can be made later by someone to be the official 'help' thread. No use having 4 pages of useless hype in a thread that is supposed to help people on the quest, so thus, this thread's job has been completed and will be closed. Only a matter of hours now before final release.