PDA

View Full Version : Sworless quest 0-gamed (plus a short review)

Gleeok
06-17-2007, 02:00 AM
Well, first things first...

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/94a855736f483fa7d89f347664c2a6344g.jpg

Nana nana na...:waggle:

Well now that that's out of the way here's my short review:

GRAPHICS- Well it's classic. Although there are some interesting uses of tiles on some of the screens, it's basically NES palletes in all of it's outdated glory, and even though I like the classic tileset...2 out of 1 million.

SOUND- Again basically NES stuff with some variations. 2/1 million.

GAMEPLAY- This is where the game really shines and sets itself apart from the horde of mediocre custom classic quests, and 1st quest remakes. Just as the name "Swordless quest" implies, you play through a typical Zelda game scenario without a sword. This leads to some pretty unique challenges within each level as you must rely only on the items you have aquired thus far. But the best part: This game actually gets more challenging as you progress deeper and deeper into it's swordless depths, even with the stardard Z1 enemies, you'll see that even they can put up a substantial fight for an unarmed link. Although this quest might be a bit too difficult for some people, that does not mean it should be considered "too hard" to play by any means, and if you should get eaten by a like-like without thinking ahead and having a bomb or two, well too bad. You shouldn't have gotten eaten in the first place. :p That'll teach you...But for the veteran player, this offers a good challenge and is one of the better classic quest idea's i've seen in a long time. It's a good thing you can get food delivered because I wasn't going to let something trivial like starvation get in the way of me playing through this game. I mean, you could of superglued my hands to the controller and I still wouldn't of realized it untill I had beaten the game. :) So 9 out of 10 er... I mean 1 million.

DESIGN- Complete with original overworld and dungeons, a handful of mini-dungeons, and one bonus dungeon. The overworld was actually quite nice, as it was pretty open and you could quickly get from point A to B very quickly, but there was enough terrain for lots of secrets. Also what is good about the level design is each levels growing complexity parallels the progressive difficulty ultimately leading to a completely out-of-control endgame. Also the overall overworld and dungeon scheme is good, everything seems like it fits together, and their are no notorious classic ugly screens. I would've liked to see more custom tiles, dubious traps, and original items in this quest, but like I said...it's classic. There was however a push block puzzle that had me scratching my head for about five minutes, which is very rare these days. Of coarse by today's standards, there's not much cutting edge level design by any means, but fun regardless. 6/1 million.

So you see it's hard to rate this as it's probably a hit or miss type thing with each individual, but I liked it so 7/10..i mean 1 million.

EDIT: Gaarg! I just read this damn thing and i made it sound too negative. It's really much better that I made it out to be with all that "classic tileset" nonsense. This was a blast to play and the levels used the tileset well. Wtf??? Usually i'm the one defending the classic. I mean, I like the classic tileset more than most quest designers out there, and i'm using a custom classic set for my latest monstrosity. -Bottom line: This quest is good!

-N

AmazingAmpharos
06-17-2007, 03:36 AM
I refuse to dignify the first part of this review with a response. Well, okay, let's see you beat the optional dungeon with that death count, and I hope for the sake of your integrity that you didn't die and then not save it.

Err... anyway... for those wondering, you can't have a sword until immediately before Ganon so there's no deception here. Really, at some point here, you should have explained how you have a sword in that screenshot; it's a very awkward thing to see at the beginning of a review for a quest named "Swordless" (I suck at making up names; I think Swordless is really the final name for this quest).

There were two big push block puzzles, and I have been led to believe that you only saw the one that was, in my opinion, the easier of the two. Of course, that's because the one you did was the very mandatory one whereas the other is optional.

In other words, you disliked the presentation but liked the substance, even if you would have liked to see a greater degree of ZC uniqueness as opposed to being so obvious about the Z1 roots? Was that an accurate way to sum up this review in one sentence?

I really don't know how to reply to a review of my own work. I think the areas I emphasized showed, and I'm satisfied with the product. Also, I still like the classic tileset, just so you know.

Gleeok
06-17-2007, 06:16 AM
I thought after the bit at the end it turned out alright.

EDIT: Gaarg! I just read this damn thing and i made it sound too negative. It's really much better that I made it out to be with all that "classic tileset" nonsense. This was a blast to play and the levels used the tileset well. Wtf??? Usually i'm the one defending the classic. I mean, I like the classic tileset more than most quest designers out there, and i'm using a custom classic set for my latest monstrosity. -Bottom line: This quest is good!

Well, this is a good review. (for me anyways) I did think I conveyed the impression that it's worth playing all the way through, and that it's alot of fun. OK, so I did cut it off a little short at the end, (It was supposed to be a short review) had I gone on it might have gone something like this;

Also what is good about the level design is each levels growing complexity parallels the progressive difficulty ultimately leading to a completely out-of-control endgame. Also the overall overworld and dungeon scheme is good, everything seems like it fits together, and their are no notorious classic ugly screens.

As for the first two, it's basically the default when you start a new project with ZQ. My reasoning for this is the amount of "custom" in a custom quest. Since this really wasn't changed, it's not going to wow anyone with the visuals.Keep in mind that that the other stuff is what you were able to do with it. Again i'll say it, I really like the classic tileset.

I refuse to dignify the first part of this review with a response. Well, okay, let's see you beat the optional dungeon with that death count, and I hope for the sake of your integrity that you didn't die and then not save it.
Quick ends?! If I bother with that i'll keep it to myself TYVM, and not impose it on others. I do have standards. However retry is legal and can't be argued.(which is what you were saying was not) Also I believe I got the letter after lv3, and the game didn't get ridiculous untill lv6. You do the math.
Also for the record, I have now died 6 times in the bonus level.

In other words, you disliked the presentation but liked the substance, even if you would have liked to see a greater degree of ZC uniqueness as opposed to being so obvious about the Z1 roots? Was that an accurate way to sum up this review in one sentence?

That couldn't be more wrong. I'm not exactally mr. sunshine you know. I can't make everything sound like rainbows and unicorns. I was merely stating some facts and impressions I got from playing it, without having to write really long paragraphs. I'm sorry you don't like my review, try reading it again and you'll see it basically says: Classic-original idea's-addicting-challenging-fun.

AmazingAmpharos
06-17-2007, 04:22 PM
I always considered Retry cheating for the purposes of claiming to have a 0 death count, but I guess we all have our own standards... I always hit save after I die no matter what because I want to see how much trouble I really had, and I consider an "honest" death count (as in a count of how many times I died under any circumstances) to be an interesting stat. Obviously, that little bit was not serious; how else do I respond to "Nana nana na"? Jest best retorts jest, IMO at least.

I didn't mean to be negative in any part of my response. I do not mean for misunderstandings. I'm confused how that sentence couldn't be more wrong since the negative part of the review was on the presentation type stuff (graphics and sound) and the positive part was on the stuff I would constitute as substance (gameplay, design). I would think reversing the order there would make it more wrong, or else I really am misunderstanding something big here. Well, okay, I do get the "I really do like classic but..." part as well. As I said (or tried to say), I don't think the review is inaccurate, and I'm satisfied with my game. I hope we're clear, and as I said, I really am not sure how I'm supposed to respond to a review of what I've done appropriately but at the same time feel compelled to respond since it is my own work. If anything comes across as awkward or inappropriate in the response, that's really the reason...

Gleeok
06-18-2007, 03:29 AM
how else do I respond to "Nana nana na"?
C'mon, be a good sport. That was a general statement, and not directed toward you. It's like manditory to add that. So it's tasteless and not winning the subtle of the year award. OK, here's some more...
-Read it and weep.
-Oops, I fell down and accidentely beat the game without dying.
-I didn't even play it, my baby sister beat the whole thing.
-The bosses were scary, so I closed my eyes and pressed random buttons.
Hey, some of those aren't bad...feel free to use em.

Alas, I gave up on the savage dungeon after 11 deaths, it's time to move on...

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/6f89c99ffe24a1ff76b4c60e8f2a1c254g.jpg http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/b17d504fb3a90a4ff352d26ebe8dc0d54g.jpg
The first ones as far as I could get with that getup, it's proven quite challenging...and I STILL have no idea where the master sword is...can you just tell me?

PS- I never said I used retry, just that I think it counts by a technicality. But due to the fact that I usually only save before quitting, Staring down something like a 3 level "retry" is not very appealing.

AmazingAmpharos
06-18-2007, 04:32 AM
Obviously, that little bit was not serious;

Meh, tone doesn't reflect well on the internet...

Anyway, about the Magic Sword (there is no Master Sword; that would be the level 4 sword which was not in Zelda 1), I suppose I should ask you where it could be. Just think of the following things you know to be true:

1. It's not in Savage Labyrinth
2. I wasn't lying when I said that you can only get a sword just before Ganon

Logic should lead you to it very quickly. I mean, process of elimination should get rid of nearly everywhere it's not. I suppose you wouldn't think to look where it is, but yeah, I think I've made it obvious by this point. If that sort of a hint doesn't give it to you, just open up the editor and track it down; it won't take long to find.

Also, it looks like you got the Red Ring; I hope you enjoyed that arc of Level 9 in which I hid it. Well, after Savage Labyrinth, I doubt that Patra room was nearly as interesting, but you did get to see the second push block puzzle at least.

Gleeok
06-18-2007, 07:01 AM
I thought the first push block puzzle was harder.:shrug: Also I would've put 10 patra in that one room :D also2 i made it sound like I use retry alot, that is not the case, it is extremely rare. triplealso, you don't have to worry about people 0gaming this, I am a complete lunatic and a specail case...just try this- http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97774 it's at the point where i have no finished quests because no one can test them (who would want to play them anyway?) also4, a 2cd quest would still be awesome ;) pentalso...i just wanted to type that.