PDA

View Full Version : What's The Worst Thing You've Ever Seen?

{DSG}DarkRaven
06-13-2007, 01:37 PM
I've been reading a thread over on the Something Awful forums for the past few days about the worst things people have ever seen. Car wrecks, plane crashes, dog attacks, war stories, domestic abuse, things like that. Perhaps I'm just a morbid person, but I've been hooked. And after a while, I began to wonder what sort of terrible, traumatic events people on AGN have witnessed.

Obviously, this is a heavy subject, and some of what you may read might turn your stomach a little. You've been forewarned.

---------------

I'll be the first to admit that I've never seen or experienced anything truly terrible. No brutal violence, no pedestrian vs. auto's, etc. But for a little over a year, I worked at a senior care facility. Everybody there was varying levels of crazy (especially the staff), and most of the residents didn't get around very much. Some were wheelchair bound, and this lead to one of the worst non-life threatening things I can imagine: bedsores.

If you don't know, a bedsore is basically an infection that occurs when your skin begins to break down. This happens for a variety of reasons, but mostly because when you get older, your skin is more fragile and doesn't regenerate as fast. They're also called pressure sores, and it's why hospital patients and the elderly need to be turned in their beds. As you might expect, they're common on your rear end, thighs, and shoulders.

When I first started, we had a woman named Bernice (who I can legally talk about now because she's been dead over a year; no disrespect intended). Bernice was chairbound and very stiff. We had to stick a pillow between her legs at night, because she'd clamp them together like alligator jaws. Staff rumored that she had been abused in the past, if you follow.

Anyway, towards the end of her life, Bernice developed a bedsore on her thigh that was so large, I probably could have fit my fist in it. We had her on a device called a VAC, which stands for Vacuum Assisted Closure. It basically seals off the wound and slowly sucks out all the pus and seeping goo. This means that the staff didn't have to be constantly changing gauze and risking further contamination. Studies have shown that it's way better than the gauze packing method anyway.

The pus and goo, though, it all went into this lovely clear cartidge that needed to be replaced every so often. After a while, it sort of took on a life of it's own inside there, and began to look like a bleeding orange crystal deposit. Once the wound began to heal up significantly, though, we could no longer use the VAC, which meant it was back to gauze stuffing and whatnot.

The smell was almost unbearable. It was a foul odor so pungeant that it almost stunk up the entire wing of the house. If I could remember it better, I might reconsider going into the medical career field.

One story is enough for now.

mrz84
06-13-2007, 01:53 PM
My most traumatic experience was when I went to my mother's room and my future step-father was half dressed, though he was turned away. Ug. I think I will never get over it. The ugliness... I can't go on...

Darth Marsden
06-13-2007, 03:25 PM
The look on my sister's face when she caught me jacking off.

moocow
06-13-2007, 03:57 PM
The look on my dad's face the day Bladen found my vibrator and ran into the living room with it... while it was on.

It's at my boyfriend's house now.

Let's see...

Oh, here we go.

In the hospital... My midwife tells me at 7:30pm that she's going to have me start pushing at 8pm... I did fine up til this point. I stayed fairly calm all through the contractions until they rolled in the cart full of shiny metal medical untensils. THAT was scary.

Next.

Right after I gave birth to Bladen, the doctor and nurses rushed out of my room do to an emergency with the woman giving birth in the next room. They left me laying there on the table with my feet still in the stirrups, a puddle of blood and other fluids beneath my ass and the placenta laying in a metal bowl NEXT TO MY BED.

Due to the drugs, I couldn't move. My curtain was partially opened leaving me exposed to the 8 people who were in the room admiring my baby. My mom finally closed my curtain, leaving me alone with the placenta. I swear to God the thing BREATHED. But, of course, that could have been the drugs I was on.

Yeah, that was probably the worst for me.

The worst for my dad: The doctor left my curtain open when he came in to stitch me up... Dad glanced in when he walked by... I bet he puked.

deathbyhokie
06-13-2007, 04:29 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069089/

I still have nightmares.

biggiy05
06-13-2007, 05:50 PM
When I was volunteering at the fire station until I left for surgery there were two car crashes I went to.

The first was around 1am. There was a one car crash on an older back road. The guy went head on into a tree with his truck. Wasn't wearing a seatbelt and was partially ejected through the windshield only to have a branch go through his head. I had to meet with a state psychologist a few days later in the chief's office to make sure I was "stable" because it was my first death.

Second was a lady and her son driving home from a concert on mink road. There was a drunk driver and he hit them, their car rolled and the boy was killed instantly. Mom was freaking out because she said her daughter was under the car. Turns out her daughter was at home...only person underneath was her son. Not a pleasant site.

The asshole drunk got charged and I do believe he gets out in a few years.

I'm going back in the fall to start running on the squad so this should be fun....

ShadowTiger
06-13-2007, 06:31 PM
The worst things I've ever seen consist primarily of somethingawful.com and rotten.com and stileproject.com. Do not click. Do not ask.

Archibaldo
06-13-2007, 06:42 PM
I went to see my neighbour to ask if I could borrow his PS2, his roomate said he was in his room so I went and knocked on his door. I thought he said come in. I guess he didn't because I opened the door and there was his girlfriend straddling him. I quickly apologize, shut the door and left his apartment. Turns out, he didn't say "come in" he said "what is it?"

But in my defense who has sex with their door unlocked in the middle of the afternoon?

The_Amaster
06-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Tough one. Has to be the time that my sister(age 6 at the time) got her finger severed in our back door. I'm not kidding when I say that I felt light headed and almost passed out. Thank god they were able to sew it back on, and no-one accidently brought a carrot in place of a finger (And if anyone get that referance, they get a cookie)

Dark Knight
06-13-2007, 06:57 PM
http://www.september11news.com/

Was 4 or 5 blocks away heading towards the towers when the first plane hit. I saw it all. That was about when my fun in New York ended. =/

Majora
06-13-2007, 07:05 PM
The look on my sister's face when she caught me jacking off.

XD multiplied by ROFL

Let's see... worst thing ever..... nothing really. I have been desensitized to everything. I'll edit this post if I think of oen.

Glenn the Great
06-13-2007, 07:05 PM
The worst things I've seen have been on the TV or the Internet, and I don't want to count them, since they certainly wouldn't have the same effect as seeing it in real life with your own eyes.

As far as actual things where I'm actually there IRL, I guess the worst I've seen would be my dad gutting a fish. Funny though, it bothered me back then, but thinking back on it now, the memory is making me hungry.

MANDRAG GANON
06-13-2007, 09:58 PM
When I was a kid I saw one of my friends laying in the street a minute or so after he'd been hit by a truck and was killed.

I've seen lots of friends being viciously beaten and have been myself, moreso myself. I dunno how manytimes i've been ganged upon and strangled till i passed out.

Tons of things i've witnessed online and on TV, The internet is a terrible place lemme tell you.

This movie was pretty disturbing. Probably the most recent thing that can be classed as traumatizing, I managed to get through it without much of a problem.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102522/

I'm hideously Desensitized lol. One of the only things that bothers me or makes me squeamish is an old movie called Un chien andalou directed by Saldavor Dali where a guy takes a switch blade razor, holds a girls eye open and slices it in half horizontally... I know how it was done, it's fake but I just can't handle it XD
For anyone interested I found it on youtube heh Eye Cut (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gYya2aFotc)

Lilith
06-13-2007, 10:39 PM
pictures of people online who actually DIE of constipation are one of the few things freak me the FUCK out. omg, can you imagine. I'm chuggin' fiber

Masamune
06-13-2007, 11:45 PM
I was at my friend's house one night, and one of his brother's friends put on a video called "Faces of Death". And it just consisted of videos of suicides, executions, gruesome accidents, and similar situations. I remember watching some of it just putting my face into the shoulder of the person next to me.

Beldaran
06-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Probably the new creationist museum in Kentucky. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_Museum)

Dechipher
06-14-2007, 01:25 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078935/

The scene where they cut off his dick.