PDA

View Full Version : Whistle & Custom Item Flags

idontknow
06-13-2007, 01:22 PM
My first suggestion is that for custom items, if it's under the "Whistle" Class, then one of the Miscellaneous attributes should be the sound effect number that plays when you use the item. This way, the default whistle can be the short whistle song but you can have other "Whistle" items that actually play other instruments (Perhaps an ocarina that plays the "Song of Time")

Secondly, since we can now have custom items, such as various levels of hammers, new swords, and so forth, there should also be a way to have flags that require you to strike them with custom items. Here's how I propose this be done.

In the tools->Flags menu, there should be 10 new flags (#98-#107) called Custom Item 1, Custom Item 2...Custom Item 10. Now, each of these custom item flags can also have a secret combo. So, in the data->secret combos menu, there should be a new tab called "Custom Items" and under this new tab it would have secret combos for Custom Item flags 1-10 (flag #98-#107).

Now, in order for a custom item to trigger these flags, you would go into the item editor. When you pick an item to edit, there should be a new tab called "Flags". Much like the 4 weapons under the "Action" tab, there would be 4 drop-down menus for Flag 1, Flag 2, Flag 3, & Flag 4. In other words, it allows you to assign up to 4 flags that the weapon can trigger.

Some examples:

The default flags for a wooden arrow would be: Flag 1-Wooden Arrow, Flag 2-None, Flag 3-None, Flag 4-None

Since the silver arrow triggers both silver arrow & wooden flags, the default flags for these would be: 1-Wooden Arrow, 2-Silver Arrow 3-None 4-None

Likewise, the golden arrow triggers all arrows up to & including golden arrows: 1-Wooden Arrows, 2-Silver Arrows, 3-Golden Arrows, 4-None

You could now make a "Fire Arrow": Flag 1-Wooden Arrow, Flag 2-Burn, Flag 3-None, Flag 4-None

You could have a custom Bomb that sets off it's own flag: Flag 1-Custom Item 1 flag. Now, for everyone Custom Item 1 flag (flag #98), it could be triggered by this custom bomb (like a mega bomb, or Ice Bomb, or something) And you'd need to select the appropriate secret combo as well.

Now, let's say you wanted to make a level 2 Wand required for your game. You would edit a new item so that it's in the Wand class, with a level of 2. Then you would go into the "Flags" tab and set it to one of the Misc Flags, giving it something it can trigger. You could also set a second flag so that it also triggers the original Wand flag, making this item a true upgrade, much like the silver & gold arrow examples.

Dan Furst
06-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Or, even better, instead of having only 10 customizable flags, have an "add flag" button, with a limit of, say, 255! (Realizes this is probably a post-2.5 deal.)

ShadowTiger
06-13-2007, 05:25 PM
A good idea, but the ZQuest GUI is rather difficult, from what I hear. ... Which makes my suggestion here rather difficult to digest, even from posting it myself..

In the tools->Flags menu, there should be 10 new flags (#98-#107) called Custom Item 1, Custom Item 2...Custom Item 10. Now, each of these custom item flags can also have a secret combo. So, in the data->secret combos menu, there should be a new tab called "Custom Items" and under this new tab it would have secret combos for Custom Item flags 1-10 (flag #98-#107).

Now, in order for a custom item to trigger these flags, you would go into the item editor. When you pick an item to edit, there should be a new tab called "Flags". Much like the 4 weapons under the "Action" tab, there would be 4 drop-down menus for Flag 1, Flag 2, Flag 3, & Flag 4. In other words, it allows you to assign up to 4 flags that the weapon can trigger.I was actually kinda thinking it'd be a screen flag kinda thing. Perhaps even a Ctrl+Click dialog, though I hear that's difficult. On the fourth page of the Screen Flags page, (Which doesn't actually contain any flags at the moment, but whatever. :blah: ) and there would be a button there, or would perhaps just have a neat row or column along the bottom or side (Whatever. It'll be played by ear, I'd reckon.) that would display the icons, or the button that would say "Custom Flags." Each Custom Flag could bring up the item list, and you can choose one. Thus, it wouldn't be per item, but it'd be per screen. MUCH more flexible. You could have a sparkling diamond combo that responds to your L16 Hammer (whatever. ) and on another screen the same combo could respond to your L1 Sword, or your L16 Hammer could respond to that combo on one screen and not to that combo on another. It'd get confusing, yes, but that's one of the joys of ZC: Flexibility and Customizability.

Additionally, in terms of the whistles, since here's what we have so far,

Whistles
Power: 2 = the whirlwind approaches from the direction you're facing.
Wpn1: Whirlwind spriteI was thinking that we could add another, perhaps a flag, which determines whether this particular item would call a whirlwind or not. All other Dmap and screen conditions apply, but this would simply determine whether if, under those operable conditions, if they're met, a whirlwind would be summoned or not. So if you bought a regular, perfectly normal Ocarina without any magical powers, this Flag would be unchecked. It's checked by default though, as per Classic TLOZ. Thus, It'd be "Spawn Whirlwind" and checked by default.