PDA

View Full Version : look at that

Beldaran
06-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Consider the word "that", and its many uses. Then tell me if you think this sentence make sense:

"Is that that that that that man was talking about?"

Weird...

AtmaWeapon
06-11-2007, 07:40 PM
I'll see you your thats and raise you a:

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo)"

phattonez
06-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Consider the word "that", and its many uses. Then tell me if you think this sentence make sense:

"Is that that that that that man was talking about?"

Weird...
Not to me, if use use just one "that", then it goes "Is that man was talking about?" That doesn't make any sense to me.

Pineconn
06-11-2007, 10:45 PM
I get to about the 3rd or 4th "that" and get (made-up word alert) schizzled up. Is the 3rd "that" a demonstrative (?) pronoun?

And I knew about the buffalo sentence for a while, and I'll just say now that it makes complete sense.

And two for Tutu too! :D

Beldaran
06-12-2007, 02:46 AM
Not to me, if use use just one "that", then it goes "Is that man was talking about?" That doesn't make any sense to me.

Think about it this way:

Person 1: Is that the car that the man was talking about?
Person 2: Dude, don't say it. I don't want him to know what we're talking about.
Person 1: Oh, ok. Is that that that that that man was talking about?

Where that refers the car, and the "the"'s have been replaced with "that"'s.

Gleeok
06-12-2007, 02:53 AM
It makes sense to me when you make the third "that" a noun.

EDIT: how does Bel always seem to beat me to posting...I can't type that slow...

Lilith
06-13-2007, 10:41 PM
I hate the word that just for that reason (shit) it's really awkward to say and not a pretty word at all.