PDA

View Full Version : Going bald?

Brasel
06-09-2007, 09:55 PM
I looked at some pictures from me from about a year ago and noticed that my hairline was a bit fuller than it is now. So I'm going bald. Not that I really care, honestly, I shave my head quite often and I've got a good shaped head for it. I have a buddy back home who is already using Rogain. I try to tell him to embrace the baldness, but he won't. He says its okay for me because I'm already married. So, are you scared to go bald?

Pineconn
06-09-2007, 11:05 PM
I'll NEVER go bald! Wahahaha!

No, but seriously, there are virtually zero alleles of baldness running in my family, so I have virtually zero chance of becoming bald. Unless I would happen to be scalped by a crazy tribe of Native Americans that are members of the AIM, then yes, I would be afraid.

XMuppetSB
06-09-2007, 11:07 PM
No, not really. Because I seriously doubt I'll go bald. However, some of the people on my Mom's side have gone bald, but I believe my traits are from my Dad's side. His side of my family doesn't go bald. At least I don't think they do. :shrug:

*b*
06-09-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm scared of going bald, yeah. But if lineage has anything to do with it, I don't have to worry about it. Both sides of my family have, for the most part, had no baldness. So hopefully I'll only go bald when I'm too senile to care

Gleeok
06-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Aahh! Don't even say that! I'm kind of...well, attached to my hair ya know. So I votes yes.

Originally posted by Pineconn
Unless I would happen to be scalped by a crazy tribe of Native Americans that are members of the AIM, then yes, I would be afraid.

Thats weird... I've been having this very dream every night for the last 5 years?

Yoshiman
06-10-2007, 12:35 AM
I'm hoping I take after my mom's side of the family rather than my dad's side. My mother's father still has a full head of hair, whereas my dad and his father both need sunscreen on the tops of their heads. I get most of my physical traits from my mother's side, so here's hoping it applies for hair.

I'd rather not go bald. >_> but on the plus side, you wouldn't have to comb your hair in the morning. :p

mikeron
06-10-2007, 08:44 PM
No, not really. Because I seriously doubt I'll go bald. However, some of the people on my Mom's side have gone bald, but I believe my traits are from my Dad's side. His side of my family doesn't go bald. At least I don't think they do. :shrug:

Supposedly, male pattern baldness is inherited from one's mother's father. So it's probably carried on the X chromosome, which you got from your mother.

On baldness in general: I think it's fine if you can lean more toward Jean-Luc Picard than George Costanza.

moocow
06-10-2007, 09:13 PM
I'd like to think that I won't go bald... I don't think I'd look good with my scalp showing. I'm scared of going bald, definitely. But it's not something I dwell on. The only bald person in my family (both sides) is my Uncle Bill... My mom's hair is kind of thin, but definitely not balding.

My dad is 53 and he's just now starting to get silver hair, lol. Full, thick head of hair... I have the same, so does Bladen.

Unforunately, I'll probably be completely silver/grey by the time I'm 45. My mom is almost there. Seriously, if she didn't color her hair, it'd be almost completely silver and she's 42... Yikes.

Pineconn
06-10-2007, 11:21 PM

Yeah, due to the nature of mitosis and chromosomal replication, you won't get every trait from your dad. Just a little biology fallacy there, that's all.

EDIT:

Unforunately, I'll probably be completely silver/grey by the time I'm 45. My mom is almost there. Seriously, if she didn't color her hair, it'd be almost completely silver and she's 42... Yikes.

Yeah, that's another hair issue to worry about. My dad has salt-and-pepper hair (much more salt than pepper :p), and he's 52. Which likely means I'll have a snowy head in my 50's, which I'm not looking forward to. But at least I'll have hair.

mrz84
06-13-2007, 01:19 PM
Baldness runs on both sides of my family and I already show some signs of balding. By age 30, Dragon Omega (my bro and fellow spreader of insanity) predicts that I'll be bald. Which is funny sicne he has a full head of hair that goes to his shoulders. :sweat: