PDA

View Full Version : Please fix things when they break, especially if they're sharp

Mitsukara
06-09-2007, 05:54 PM
But at the very least, DON'T halfass it.

We have this crappy old freezer, right? The kind that collects frost so there's ice all over the shelves/food. Old thing, used to be my grandparents.

Well, last night, the handle snapped in my hand. No reason I could tell, no warning, just pow. It was metal. Luckily I was just lightly stabbed a little and didn't even bleed.

Apparently my mother thought it was a good idea to just bend it back into place and leave it alone. She says she meant to put tape and forgot.

I forgot about it, too. I was thinking about what to eat, decided to look in the freezer- which looked normal- and it didn't even cross my mind. Now I have a huge bloody gash in my right index finger.

DON'T HALFASS THINGS. I know this was partly my fault, but god, what a great idea- let's bend it back into place so it looks good and go off and leave it? It's the same kind of lack of effort that's at fault for our several-year-long and still going cockroach infestation; they've barely bothered to look into treatments, and what they did buy they just stuck in the pantry somewhere and forgot about. Bullshit.

[/rant]

So, I got a bandaid on it and hopefully the bleeding's stopped by now, and I'm going to put some hydrogen peroxide on it. Anyone else have some advice for avoiding infection?

Majora
06-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Burn something that could potentially poke a hole in your defences.

Darth Marsden
06-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Get an aerosol can and a lighter. Cockroach problem solved. ;)

Sorry to hear about your hand. Hope it heals quick.

Pineconn
06-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Oooooowwww!! I hate hearing stories of blood and pain, 'cuz I always get all tingly and... AUGH!

*stops himself from falling over*

But I hope your finger gets better real quick. When I was, oh, 5 years old, we had this couch in our living room that had these sharp metal springs poking out of the fabric in the front. So I decided to jump onto the couch one day. And I never did that again, considering I had a stream of deep violet-red blood running down my right leg. I still have the scar (an inch-long, ⅛-inch wide flab of skin) on my knee to prove it.

But at least the next week or so we went to Laz-E-Boy to buy a new couch. ;)

Glenn the Great
06-10-2007, 02:56 PM
I have a multilayered solution for cuts.

I wash it off with antibacterial soap and warm water.

Then comes the hydrogen peroxide.

Once it has mostly dried, I use liquid bandaids.

If the cut is especially deep, you could wrap it up additionally with gauze, that has perhaps been sort of soaked in hydrogen peroxide.

Doing all of those steps, and making sure not to aggravate the cut during everyday activity, will get it on the fast track to recovery.

biggiy05
06-10-2007, 07:47 PM

If the cut is especially deep, you could wrap it up additionally with gauze, that has perhaps been sort of soaked in hydrogen peroxide.

Doing all of those steps, and making sure not to aggravate the cut during everyday activity, will get it on the fast track to recovery.

Everything he said or a normal bandage. The partially soaked gauze isn't such a good idea though.

moocow
06-10-2007, 09:19 PM

Don't over do it with the peroxide. While it's a good idea to clean the cut with it immediately after the injury occurs, it's usually not a good idea to put something soaked in it over said cut. Too much peroxide will just dry it out and make it super sore, possibly worse.

Just do all of the above, and keep a bandage of some sort over it most of the time, especially when you'll be touching stuff that could be germy and dirty.

Pineconn
06-10-2007, 11:18 PM
especially when you'll be touching stuff that could be germy and dirty.

When I read this, I substituted "stuff" with "yourself" by accident. :D

Prrkitty
06-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Peroxide can damage healthy tissue. So be careful how much you use or how often you use it. Antibiotic ointment/cream is better for an open wound. Bandage it to help keep it clean and change bandage once a day or as often as it gets dirty.

If the wound is REALLY deep - go to doctor and get stitches.

Mitsukara
06-13-2007, 01:55 PM
I kinda wound up just using neosporin and cleaning and keeping a bandaid on it most of the time. I'll continue to keep an eye on it, though. Thanks for your advice. I reaaaaaally hope it doesn't get infected ><

mrz84
06-13-2007, 02:09 PM
The last thing you want it to do is to scar. Unless you don't care if you have scars, then by all means, let it do so.

I used to have a fridge like that actually until a few years ago. It was a pain keeping the ice at bay until we got a new one. :kitty:

Prrkitty
06-13-2007, 03:40 PM
It probably won't get infected as long as you don't put your hand... specifically that finger... into places where bacteria/fungus/etc is growing. :)

Just keep the bandage clean... antibiotic ointment/cream on it and take care of it. It all should be fine. :)