PDA

View Full Version : Just imported Seiken Densetsu 3...

vegeta1215
06-04-2007, 08:54 PM
...and I am looking forward to playing it on my SNES. I know about the physical region lockout, and I'm getting a SNES Game Genie to get around that issue. You importers out there, is that what you guys use, or do you do something different? (shy of owning a real Super Famicom system)

Of the options, this seemed like the easiest way to me.

Masamune
06-04-2007, 09:07 PM
There's a set of tabs on opposite sides of your cart slot. Remove those. :P

Cloral
06-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Yeah. Back then, region locking was as simple as a differently-shaped cart port. I took a screwdriver and a hammer and smashed the 4 blocks on the inside of the slot and was able to play Japanese games no problem (in particular, FF5). The one downside I found was that the eject button didn't have as much spring to it as it did before, but that's a small price to pay for region-free play.

And don't worry about screwing up. The blocks are very easy to see if you have a look inside the port, and they smash up real easy.

Flash Man
06-05-2007, 12:28 AM
I performed the same method of removing the block shaped lockout method on my Super Nintendo to play my imports.

MottZilla
06-05-2007, 12:57 AM
Originally I used a knife to cut the plastic tabs. Later SNES units apparently have metal tabs. N64 also has metal tabs that must be removed by opening the system. Also be aware there are 2 SNES regions, NTSC and PAL. Game cartridges have different lockout chips if they are NTSC or PAL. That's why PAL and Japanese carts are the same plastic shape and why ours are different yet have the same lockout chips.

The Game Genie is the best idea for playing non-chip imports on a SNES. When you remove the tabs your cartridge can wiggle more which will cause the game to reset if it's touched while playing and such. Also, it's not that expensive to get a SFC really. If you want one you could get one decently.

The real question is why? The game is in japanese... That's not fun to play a RPG in a language you can't read, unless you can infact read japanese. I advise you ask me where to buy a device, now that you legitimately own the game (har har), that lets you play the english translation of SD3 which is far more enjoyable. ;)

For playing actual import carts, like I said the game genie will not work for games enhanced by special chips like SuperFX, SA-1, SDD1, etc as the Game Genie doesn't pass through the 16 pins on the cartridge connector that special chips use. This would mean games like Super Mario RPG, Kirby Dreamland 3, Kirby SuperStar, Street Fighter Alpha 2, and Star Ocean won't work, there are many others though.

I love my Super Famicom, it kicks ass.

vegeta1215
06-05-2007, 06:43 AM
I knew about the tabs in the system, but I didn't want to attempt to physically remove them, and possibly damage the system. (also Mott's point about the game wiggling would bother me)

I've played SD3 in english on my computer, so I know the story and all. My thoughts were that I won't have to know Japanese to enjoy the game - beating up baddies is what Mana is about. You might say, how will I know where to go? Luckily, the world map tells you where to go in SD3. I thought that was kind of stupid before cause it made the game easier, but that will help me play it!

I am curious about how to play the translated english version, I may be PMing you later Mott. Also, you scared me a bit when you said certain games won't work with the Game Genie pass through. SD3 doesn't have the extra pins on the sides, so I think I'm okay.

Cloral
06-05-2007, 12:41 PM
When you remove the tabs your cartridge can wiggle more which will cause the game to reset if it's touched while playing and such.

Never had any problems with any games resetting on me, even with the modification.

Of all the games not released in the US that you might want to play in this way, SD3 is probably one of the most workable. The storyline really isn't all that important to it, and all the spells and items are shown as icons so you can tell what they are without reading anything.

Orion
06-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Just makes sure the system is in a place where it won't get bumped and you have enough slack on your cords so as not to pull it. That's the main problem I have with my newer SNES, if you bump it at all, it resets and deletes all of the data on the battery save.

vegeta1215
06-05-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm gonna get a new connector for my SNES shortly. I've actually been meaning to do it for a while now since sometimes when I put the games in and turn the system on I get just a black screen. I wish it were as simple as the replacing the NES connector, but you need security bits to open the casing.

MottZilla
06-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Vegeta, the SNES connector probably just needs cleaning and your carts too. Try finding a cleaning kit to clean the SNES cart slot. I had trouble awhile back with a cartridge of mine wrongfully being detected as smaller than it really was, but it cleared right up once I cleaned it.

vegeta1215
06-06-2007, 08:51 PM
I cleaned all my carts good (and boy were they dirty), and the connector itself the best I could not long ago. Even so, sometimes when I put a game in and make sure it's making good contact, I get a black screen.

vegeta1215
06-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Got my SNES Game Genie today, but it still won't work. There are tabs in the Game Genie that make sure the cart is securely fit into the device, and those tabs prevent the SFC game from fitting in.

I think I'm just going to remove them because I don't have as much of a problem doing that to the Game Genie as opposed to the actual system. Plus, I'm sure it's hard to find a real coverter nowadays. Lik-sang probably would've had one but they are out of business. If anyone knows of a site that might still sell some, let me know.

MottZilla
06-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Just sacrifice the Game Genie, they are cheap and easy to replace. I'd actually bought one awhile back thinking I might use it to play american chip enhanced games on my SFC, only to find the GG didn't pass the extra pins through and also didn't fit inside the slot. Oh well.

vegeta1215
06-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I think I'll do that. I just have to find a little saw to cut the plastic tabs out.

UPDATE: After working for a few minutes with a serated steak knife, I managed to cut the plastic tabs out, and everything works great! (unscrewing the Game Genie cart made this easy) It's so weird playing this game on the TV since I only previously played in on an emulator.