PDA

View Full Version : Password linking system

andrewmcd1
05-31-2007, 04:57 PM
had an Idea earlier, but there were no Developers in #Purezc, so I'm PM'ing you it.

would it be possible to have a quest rule that lets you link quests through passwords (like in OoA and OoS), letting you take items earned from quest 1 and taking them to quest 2 as if 2 was a continuation of 1?

At the moment it's not possible to transfer items between quests, what is possible is to make two quests in one quest file and have a quest select screen at the start, you could then use scripts to control which items you can take over between quests (or just let players play the second quest only after they've completed the first). I don't think it'll be easy to make items transferrable between different quest files.

As to passwords, you could have a room display a password string in one quest and have a scripted room in the next where you can enter a password and if it matches you get some items - that's already possible, just relies heavily on scripting.

So would anyone be able to make scripts that do any of the things that I or koopa described?

C-Dawg
05-31-2007, 05:25 PM
Well the second suggestion is simple. The "second quest" is just a continuation of the same quest file. What's hard about that?

DarkDragon
05-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Without arrays, a password system script could range from mostly straightforward to highly tedious, depending on how much you want it to be hardened against cheating.

Overall it is probably easiest to go with the 2-quests-in-1 suggestion.

andrewmcd1
06-01-2007, 05:00 AM
O.k, But would anyone be able to do the other idea (i.e transferring items between quests)?