PDA

View Full Version : army

Brasel
05-31-2007, 04:28 PM
I can run 5 miles.
I can do push ups and sit ups until my arms fall off.
I am one of the best at my job in the brigade.
I lead soldiers.

The army's weight control program says that I am over weight and over the allotted body fat percentage, yet people twice my size who can't run 1 mile are okay by the army's standards because they have thick necks. The army measures body fat percentage using a person's height, weight, abdominal and neck measurements. I can not deny that I have somewhat of a gut, and I always have had one. I weigh more than I should because my legs are more dense with muscle than the average person. I have a scrawny neck, so the body fat percentage is way higher than a really fat guy with a really fat or thick neck. I don't understand why it works this way, but it puts me in the overweight category when I can outrun any other person in the overweight category with extreme ease. Why does this really matter? I have to diet AGAIN. I've dieted so many times to just barely meet the army body fat percentage standard that I'm completely sick of it. I could lose my promotable status, and be flagged so I can't receive any favorable actions such as awards or leave.

moocow
05-31-2007, 04:34 PM
That's absolutely ridiculous! I'm so sorry Tony... :(

Prrkitty
05-31-2007, 04:42 PM
:( I'm so very sorry hon. All you can do is the best you can... and if that isn't good enough for the military then take your leave of them (don't feel bad about it) and get a civilian job.

Anymore our military is so full of hypocritical assholes. :( <hug>

I wish there was something we could do for you hon.

The_Amaster
05-31-2007, 04:43 PM
Dontcha love when commen sense ges lost in the buerocracy? That's gotta suck. Perhaps if you found a way to fatten up your neck....

War Lord
05-31-2007, 04:47 PM
Have them liposuction your ass, then fill your neck with it.

Brasel
05-31-2007, 04:53 PM
Have them liposuction your ass, then fill your neck with it.

Don't think that I haven't thought about it.;)

Darth Marsden
05-31-2007, 05:43 PM
fuck the army
Do we have time? :p

Sux about the weight thing. My sympathies. You wanna diet? Do a day-on-day-off food regimen. Or take the Special K challenge (http://www.kelloggs.co.uk/specialk/challenge.aspx). Or join Weightwatchers (http://www.weightwatchers.com/index.aspx). Or take the Atkins Nutritional Approach (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkins_Diet). Or swim across to the UK to punish me for taking the piss. Whatever's good.

DarkDragoonX
05-31-2007, 06:33 PM
It's annoying how common sense tends to be the first thing lost in any large organization. Try telling them to look behind the couch or something.

In all seriousness, though, that's some massively retarded shit. I hope things work out for you.

Brasel
05-31-2007, 06:54 PM
Meh. I went on a long run after posting this and I feel alot better. I've decided to go ahead and lose about 30 pounds just exercising like mad so I don't have to worry about the body fat percentage anymore. Who's with me? Gotta get down to 189. I'll look massively feeble in the 180s, but it'll be less of a hassle until I get out.

phattonez
05-31-2007, 07:25 PM
This reminds me so much of Catch-22. I think you and Joseph Heller would have a lot in common.

War Lord
05-31-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm on my way down to the 180's actually.
I've already dropped 50 lbs originally.
Then I've been off my regime the past 4 months and gained 12.
Back on though and doing good thus far.

Beldaran
05-31-2007, 07:56 PM
Just hit the gym like mad and turn it into muscle. Granted, fat weighs less than muscle, but if they see you looking like a two ton bag of ass whoop they are less likely to say anything about your conditioning.

Jigglysaint
05-31-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm on my way down to the 180's actually.
I've already dropped 50 lbs originally.
Then I've been off my regime the past 4 months and gained 12.
Back on though and doing good thus far.

Did you try the Subway diet? Okay that was a bad joke, but seriously, I hate it when people who are capable to perform whatever tasks, are shunned because they are overweight. I could be freaking Stephen Hawkings and people wouldn't care because I am obese.

It's ignorant shit hatered that Americans are, alas, famous for. Oh well, at least you arn't gay, Anthony, or else you'd have that to worry about too.

{DSG}DarkRaven
05-31-2007, 10:32 PM
I was watching Jeopardy yesterday, and during the part where they talk to the contestants, one of them was talking about how he lost a hundred pounds on a diet he invented himself. He called it the "Stop Eating So Much" diet. Trebek asked him how it worked, to which he replied "I look at how much I normally eat, and then I eat less."

I don't think that it's common sense that's lost here. I simply think that the army, like any large organization, must think about the good of the whole out of necessity. Regulations are put in place with the idea of meeting their specifications on the broadest level. Occasionally, there are problems like this, but changing the regulation would create potential for larger problems, even though it would solve this one.

mrz84
06-01-2007, 08:03 AM
I was 210 when I moved to where I currently am in 2004. I've gone down to the 180s since then due to eating right (most of the time) and sweating like hell whilst I work (don't have the time to exercise everyday because my job is so freakin' hectic most of the time) so I feel you pain. Especially since my youngest brother keeps calling me names like fatso and such. Meh. :kitty:

Flash Man
06-01-2007, 01:08 PM
I am at 172lbs, so I do not think I can afford to lose any more. I seem to only fluctuate +-6lbs anyways. I cannot ever lose or gain weight.

Glenn the Great
06-03-2007, 03:25 AM
As a lot of you probably remember, I became overweight for a few years. In high school I had a normal weight of about 130-140. Due to some bad reactions to medication, I skyrocketed to a maximum of 220. When the scale said 220, I realized I had to do something, and I starved myself back down to about 160. From that point, I started eating a lot healthier than I had been most of my life, and I eased down to about 125. I've gained about 10 pounds of muscle from running, and my weight fluctuates in the 130s now.

Being overweight sucks big time. I'm many, many times more agile and energetic now than I was then. Everyday tasks are so much harder when you're overweight.

DarkDragon
06-03-2007, 08:03 AM
Not to mention that attractive people tend to receive better service/are looked upon more favorably than obese people.

biggiy05
06-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Not to mention that attractive people tend to receive better service/are looked upon more favorably than obese people.

They are a helluva lot easier to lift onto a stretcher or carry down a flight of stairs too! Fuck I never wanna pick up "Fred" the dummy in EMS class again.

Edit: Forgot to ask. How is weight loss coming along? I have to gain the weight I lost from being in the hospital and on the meds and some extra preferably more muscle otherwise this bar could do some damage.

SUCCESSOR
06-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Become a vegetarian. Or slim down your meat/dairy consumption to under 4 servings a day. I've never met an overweight vegan.

Also an ounce of Apple Cider Vinegar in a tall glass of juice or water(or straight if you like the noBS route) with every meal can help speed metabolism and lower appetite(usu cause is taste so fucking awful).

cyberkitten
06-06-2007, 05:50 PM
the navy gets us by wrist measurement. i have a 5 1/2" wrist measurement. so at 125 lbs and 5'3, i'm obese. it's just not right. :(

biggiy05
06-06-2007, 08:36 PM
the navy gets us by wrist measurement. i have a 5 1/2" wrist measurement. so at 125 lbs and 5'3, i'm obese. it's just not right. :(

What the fuck?! They need to rethink this stuff.

Glenn the Great
06-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Also an ounce of Apple Cider Vinegar in a tall glass of juice or water(or straight if you like the noBS route) with every meal can help speed metabolism and lower appetite(usu cause is taste so fucking awful).

I dunno. The thought of apple cider vinegar is making my mouth water right now.

Brasel
06-06-2007, 09:56 PM

That is crap. I can't believe that wrist measurements are even relevant. I have really skinny wrists for a man my size. When I gain or lose weight they stay exactly the same. I don't know if thats different for females or not, but I still think its about the weirdest weight thing I've ever heard of.

Oh, and I can't get a coherent thought out very easily anymore. Don't mind me.

Glenn the Great
06-06-2007, 10:17 PM
That is crap. I can't believe that wrist measurements are even relevant. I have really skinny wrists for a man my size. When I gain or lose weight they stay exactly the same. I don't know if thats different for females or not, but I still think its about the weirdest weight thing I've ever heard of.

Oh, and I can't get a coherent thought out very easily anymore. Don't mind me.

Yeah, that's messed up. Measuring your wrist primarily determines whether you are ectomorphic, mesomorphic, or endomorphic. There are usually separate obesity scales for each of these, of which more and more weight is required for a person of larger build to be considered obese.

phattonez
06-06-2007, 11:07 PM
I've never heard of any of those things. So because my wrist bone juts out a lot more than it does on most people, would the army consider me fat? 6'1"/175 lbs.

Brasel
06-07-2007, 12:02 PM
I've never heard of any of those things. So because my wrist bone juts out a lot more than it does on most people, would the army consider me fat? 6'1"/175 lbs.

Not the army. The navy maybe, if you were a female. I'm pretty sure that the navy's male standards aren't judged by wrist measurements, but I could be wrong.

Graabnar
06-08-2007, 09:03 PM
I was just watching Disorderly Conduct on Spike, and almost every cop in it was obese...That doesnt make any sense at all. They make the army/navy standards insane, yet the police standards are pathetic.

I think they should even the standards out, and see who really needs to lose weight, or gain muscle.

The_Amaster
06-08-2007, 09:43 PM
I don't care what measurements they take, no-one can say I'm overweight at 5' 11" and 130 lbs. Except if I had a fat neck, maybe they would, which would suck.

biggiy05
06-08-2007, 09:52 PM
I don't care what measurements they take, no-one can say I'm overweight at 5' 11" and 130 lbs. Except if I had a fat neck, maybe they would, which would suck.

You're fat now go lose some weight.:D

Brasel
06-09-2007, 10:21 AM
I was just watching Disorderly Conduct on Spike, and almost every cop in it was obese...That doesnt make any sense at all. They make the army/navy standards insane, yet the police standards are pathetic.

I think they should even the standards out, and see who really needs to lose weight, or gain muscle.

Police are different because they aren't expected to fight to kill as much. Police aren't warriors, they are protectors and ticket writers.

Fabiano the Spy
06-09-2007, 01:37 PM
I can run 5 miles.
I can do push ups and sit ups until my arms fall off.
I am one of the best at my job in the brigade.
I lead soldiers.

The army's weight control program says that I am over weight and over the allotted body fat percentage, yet people twice my size who can't run 1 mile are okay by the army's standards because they have thick necks. The army measures body fat percentage using a person's height, weight, abdominal and neck measurements. I can not deny that I have somewhat of a gut, and I always have had one. I weigh more than I should because my legs are more dense with muscle than the average person. I have a scrawny neck, so the body fat percentage is way higher than a really fat guy with a really fat or thick neck. I don't understand why it works this way, but it puts me in the overweight category when I can outrun any other person in the overweight category with extreme ease. Why does this really matter? I have to diet AGAIN. I've dieted so many times to just barely meet the army body fat percentage standard that I'm completely sick of it. I could lose my promotable status, and be flagged so I can't receive any favorable actions such as awards or leave. Fuck the army. Fuck the god damned army to hell.
Anthony, man, that's BS. It sounds like the freaking system is fucked up totally. I feel for you...I can't say I know how you feel, but I seriously do feel pain for you =\