For example:

http://www.forrestkyle.com/photos/fake.jpg

Those must be some crazy pikemen!

ShadowTiger
05-30-2007, 11:09 PM
First and foremost, why is the filename "fake.jpg"? O.o'

{DSG}DarkRaven
05-30-2007, 11:11 PM
I think the fact that the picture's filename is "fake.jpg" accounts for all of your concerns. But then again, I've never played Civ, so...

EDIT: Drat, not only did you catch that too, but you beat me to posting it, ST.

phattonez
05-30-2007, 11:15 PM
If it's anything like Civ III, then it's possible. But it would never happen 3 times in a row.

deathbyhokie
05-30-2007, 11:22 PM
I call shenanigans. Your city got taken.

On the other hand, I have had archers take out attack choppers in Civ IV before.

Beldaran
05-30-2007, 11:24 PM
It's called "fake.jpg" because I thought the combat was fake, as in unrealistic.

That is a legitimate screenshot. My city was not captured. My stealth bomber unit was attacked by a pikeman and got destroyed.

I guess you don't have to believe it, but that's what happened.

Daarkseid
05-30-2007, 11:38 PM
EDIT:

How was your Stealth Bomber attacked by a pikeman? Seriously, they cannot occupy anything but a citysquare, and your Bombers would've been destroyed automatically if that city had no other defenders.

Beldaran
05-30-2007, 11:51 PM
EDIT:

How was your Stealth Bomber attacked by a pikeman? Seriously, they cannot occupy anything but a citysquare, and your Bombers would've been destroyed automatically if that city had no other defenders.

I unfairly spawned the bomber with the world editor. I guess that explains the oddity.

AlexMax
06-01-2007, 02:50 AM
Advanced units having their shit ruined by stone-age units is an age-old Civilization problem.

Daarkseid
06-01-2007, 04:34 AM
Advanced units having their shit ruined by stone-age units is an age-old Civilization problem.

Its a very freak occurance in CivIV. Beldaran's example doesn't actually occur in normal play and air units as they function can only be realistically destroyed by being intercepted during air missions. If they're attacked while stationary, its as though an undefended airfield is seized before its pilots could get to their planes.

The only units that can intercept planes during air missions are destroyers, SAM infantry, other fighters patrolling the skies, and Mechanized Infantry.

{DSG}DarkRaven
06-01-2007, 12:44 PM
I unfairly spawned the bomber with the world editor. I guess that explains the oddity.

So, what you're saying is, basically, that you screwed with the game's mechanics, and that you're surprised that things went all wonky? Good one, Bel.

Beldaran
06-01-2007, 01:25 PM
So, what you're saying is, basically, that you screwed with the game's mechanics, and that you're surprised that things went all wonky? Good one, Bel.

I didn't know I was screwing with the mechanics. You can spawn ground units with no reprocussions. I didn't know air units had to be in a base/city/etc. So it's not like I knew something was wrong.

From my perspective, it just looked like a pikeman took down a stealth bomber.

mrz84
06-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Funny none the less. Next thing you know a samurai will take down a nuke. :kitty: