PDA

View Full Version : Conditional flags

andrewmcd1
05-28-2007, 04:41 AM
Would it be possible to make it so that when one trigger is hit, only some of the secrets are triggered?

Example: X = Boomerang Trigger Y=Gate tiles O=Open gate -=Wall tiles

-----------------------------
- X Y Y
- Y Y
- Y Y
- X Y Y

*The top Boomerang trigger is... Triggered*
- X Y O
- Y O
- Y O
- X Y O
So only the second gate opens.

*The bottom trigger is triggered*

- X O O
- O O
- O O
- X O O

So, as you see, each trigger operates one seperate gate. Now, on a small scale, this is possibly possible in ZC, but what if you wished to change a large area at the trip of a trigger (without the use of a warp) while there is another trigger/secret to be activated on the same screen?

The_Amaster
05-28-2007, 11:03 AM
You read my mind. I swear I was thinking about this last night. For actual implementation, I was thinking new flags: 'Triggered by Boomerang", "Triggered by Sword", etc. These flags are assigned to SC 16-32 via Tiered Secrets, and only activate when the appropriate Secret Combo (Boomerang, Swords, etc.) is activated.

ShadowTiger
05-28-2007, 04:44 PM
G'haa. X x. Eventually, we'll need like, six to twelve individual layers for flags alone so we can apply all these new confangled Individual-Triggering flags.

There's a lot of freedom to be had with such things, but actual implementation on the quest designer's side is going to get a tad tricky, not to mention on the developers' side.

DarkDragon
05-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Like BH4, I think that another layer of flags would be quite messy... especially since this behavior can already be modeled using scripts.

andrewmcd1
05-29-2007, 06:31 AM
Yes, But not everyone has the time to learn scripting, and even if they ask someone to do it, there's no guarantee they'll actually do it. It would be easier for non-scripters for these to be available.

But If someone wants to (and CAN) script it, then Please tell us.

C-Dawg
05-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Yes, But not everyone has the time to learn scripting

People, scripting is not difficult. It's really, really not difficult. And you can do all sorts of things without scripting. Suggestions for the devs that can be easily scripted just distract them from working on things that cannot be.

Plus, do you REALLY want to massively complicate the easier side of Zelda Classic?

Russ
05-30-2007, 11:09 PM
People, scripting is not difficult. It's really, really not difficult.

Believe it or not, some people do find it hard. And you can't exactly walk in to Barnes and Noble and purchase "ZScripting for Dummies". If it is so easy, than why don't you just make a tutorial or something and stop nagging people because they don't know how to script?

C-Dawg
05-31-2007, 08:09 PM
Believe it or not, some people do find it hard. And you can't exactly walk in to Barnes and Noble and purchase "ZScripting for Dummies". If it is so easy, than why don't you just make a tutorial or something and stop nagging people because they don't know how to script?

There are several excellent tutorials here and at PureZC. People don't care to read them.

Questions
05-31-2007, 09:55 PM
People, scripting is not difficult. It's really, really not difficult. And you can do all sorts of things without scripting. Suggestions for the devs that can be easily scripted just distract them from working on things that cannot be.

Plus, do you REALLY want to massively complicate the easier side of Zelda Classic?

lol. :rolleyes:

Whether or not scripting is difficult depends entirely on the person. Some people can learn it quick as pie, however there are a larger group that will never figure it out. So don't give anyone that "scripting is easy" crap. You don't know how easy it'll be for them.