PDA

View Full Version : Secret Of Evermore

War Lord
05-23-2007, 03:28 AM
I picked this game up about a week ago. I didn't play it when I was younger, I missed out on the SNES RPG era. What an awesome game.

It is easy, but fuck, that doesn't matter. There was never a dull moment. Story was always moving, new areas, new weapons, spells, and even new dogs. I'm waiting on the good ending now (waiting a half an hour or so at the end?) and I think I could start playing through again right away.

I love the battle system, with the weapons each able to level up. The spell system was also neat and I'm glad you have to acquire ingredients to use them.

Anyone else play this awesome game? Surely a lot of you have.

I have Mario RPG on the way, so as soon as it gets here, it's next.

DarkDragoonX
05-23-2007, 04:31 AM
Nevermind... well, that was strange. More after an edit.

EDIT: Well, I just encountered a strange forum (or perhaps firefox?) bug. No matter, it's resolved now.

Anyway, like I was going to say originally, Secret of Evermore is quite a good game, despite how many people knock it for being a "Secret of Mana rip-off." It's certainyl worth playing.

Also, you mention having "missed out on the SNES RPG era. Have you played Mario RPG in the past (emulated or otherwise)? If not, you're in for a treat.

War Lord
05-23-2007, 04:44 AM
I missed out totally. I cannot play any games seriously via emulation.

The only SNES RPG I played entirely through was Chrono Trigger. However it was on a friend's New Game + with all level 99 characters. The only thing I remember is blowing through it. Nothing as far as story or anything (10 years ago?).

I do remember also playing through a little bit of Earthbound and enjoying it greatly. So I suppose I did play those 2 a little bit, but remember nothing from either now.

I cannot wait to get the Mario RPG, from what I hear, it is truly an amazing game.

The SNES to me, is the definitive system for RPGs thus far, it seems anyway.

DarkDragoonX
05-23-2007, 05:53 AM
Oh yes, Mario RPG is jsut fantastic... it's not quite as "Mario-ized" as the Paper Mario series, and is slightly more traditional, but timed attacks and defense make their debut appearance here (you can jump on an enemy up to 100 consecutive times witht he right timing), along with a good story, tons of secrets, great visuals... it's one of the best RPGs on the system, to be honest. Earthbound is even better, though! And Chrono Trigger is, well, just flat-out spectacular.

The Genesis had a few top-notch RPGs (Shining in the Darkness, Phantasy Star 2 and 4), but nowhere NEAR the flood of great RPGs the SNES had. Lufia and Lufia 2, Paladin's Quest... if Nintendo keeps putting out great RPG titles on their virtual console, you'll be happily entertained for a very long time.

vegeta1215
05-23-2007, 07:02 AM
I played Secret of Evermore a little bit. I liked it cause it was interesting and played just like Secret of Mana. I think I got stuck early on though. iirc I needed to make the Levitate spell and couldn't find some ingredients needed. I'll probably try it again in the future.

But yeah, the Mario RPGs are great. The SNES one, all the Paper Marios, and Mario & Luigi. All great games, all of which offer something different.

Gleeok
05-23-2007, 07:35 AM
The christmas before last I was at my mom's house and found my old SNES
in a box in the garage where it had been for the previous 9 years, and it still works great! Since then I have been reliving some great games I had completely forgotten about. LOZ lttp, FF 4 and 6, secret of mana, wizardry heart of the maelstrom, Super metroid, etc...
and i'm still going through them about 1 every couple of months. There are tons of great games for this system. I would pick Snes over the gamecube anyday. right now i am currently playing lufia 2, but the next in line would definately have to be chrono trigger, followed by earthbound or secret of evermore, which I don't remember anything about either. It's like i'm playing these for the first time again.
Heh. Isn't it funny that we've got Xbox, ps2, 360, ps3, gamecube, wii, high powered graphics cards, MMORPG's, and we're playing a fucking super nintendo entertainment system! ;P
Well, theres my 2 cents. Just thought i'd share some of it with you.
ahhh...memories
-N

Glenn the Great
05-23-2007, 11:08 AM
I played and beat Secret of Evermore back when the game was new. It's a wonderful game. Definitely one of those underrated classics.

Mario RPG is another of my favorite SNES games ever. The game is just amazing, and is one of the last times we see Mario and friends in a respectable light.

The SNES is definitely where all the best RPGs ever made are. It's great that you're going back and experiencing all of these for the first time. What I'd give to be able to do that.

After Mario RPG, I'd highly recommend playing through Chrono Trigger next.

Also, Final Fantasy 6/3 and 4/2 will be well worth your time.

Dechipher
05-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Secret of Evermore was awesome. I played through it with a game genie first, so I've seen parts of the game that I haven't actually played up to yet.

However, Mario RPG is my favorite game of all time. It feels differently than any other game I've ever played, and the music and characters are what really make it amazing.

Beldaran
05-23-2007, 12:09 PM
You might really like Terranigma. It's sort of a hybrid between Zelda and Secret of Mana/Evermore.

Glenn the Great
05-23-2007, 12:48 PM
You might really like Terranigma. It's sort of a hybrid between Zelda and Secret of Mana/Evermore.

Yeah, Terranigma (also known as Illusion of Time) is another SNES gem. Not a lot of people have known about it until more recent times since it was released in Europe but not in America. It's the spiritual sequel to Illusion of Gaia. It has a dark and moving story rarely seen in games anymore.

The Gaia trilogy is great as far as the SNES Action RPG genre goes. Besides Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma, it includes Soul Blazer. Soul Blazer is another amazing game. It's one of the oldest games for the SNES, and has very dated graphics, but it's easily one of the most fun and addicting games for the SNES. It's also known for it's intriguing mysterious story that absorbs you quickly and makes you want to keep playing. Soul Blazer's story really sparks the imagination as you try to piece together what happened before the game started taking place, in a very similar manner to Terranigma.

MrCow
05-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Yea play the gaia series. SoE was amazing, CT is one of the best games ever. I never got into rpgs quite like i did on the snes. The Lufia series, 1 and 2, are fun along with the Breath of Fire Series, 1 and 2 again. Both have good story lines and good game play. Act Raiser one was a fun game though I'm not sure its an rpg. Brainlord was decent and a thinking game. Earthbound was truly an amazing game also. Lagoon, I think it was, was good for its time too, but I'm not sure thats the right name for the game I'm thinking of. OH and Robotrek was a neat game, it was a unique and fun game, you get to build your own robots to fight battles with. if you wanna know anything more about any of those games I'd be happy to give details.

Cloral
05-23-2007, 02:12 PM
I think I got stuck early on though. iirc I needed to make the Levitate spell and couldn't find some ingredients needed. I'll probably try it again in the future.

Levitate needed Mud Peppers, which were in chests up on the volcano I think. Either way, you couldn't buy them. There only existed enough of them to move the rocks you needed to move. So if you were going to the ingredient dealers looking for them, that would explain why you couldn't find any.

War Lord
05-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Wrong, There was a shop keeper that sold them later in the game. However they weren't just in chests. At one point in the game during the volcano assault, there was a lizard, and a gray lizard on one screen. Once you defeated the gray one you would receive a mud pepper. You could go off screen and do this however many times you'd like. It was also a great place to level and get cash I guess but I didn't do so at that point. I just got a few mud peppers and moved on.

Basically I want to check out RPGs I remember my friend having, so in no particular order I'll be playing all of these:

Mario RPG
Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
Illusion of Gaia
Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy 3
Final Fantasy 2
Breath Of Fire II

Of course I'd like to play others like BOF and Brain Lord, it will just take time to get there.

Beldaran
05-23-2007, 04:25 PM
About seven years ago I watched my best friend beat Brainlord. I kept laughing because I thought it was funny that he bought $2000 new computer and spent the first twenty some-odd hours with it playing Brainlord all day.

*memories* :)

DarkDragoonX
05-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Are you using an actual SNES to play these games? I would heartily reccomend adding Lufia and Lufia 2 to your list of Games That Must Be Played.

War Lord
05-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Yeah.
Check the link in my signature to see pics of my gaming setup.
There's no way I could ever play these via emulation.

mrz84
05-23-2007, 08:30 PM
I've played many a great RPG on the snes, both in it's hay-day and via emulation. I must admit, playing the actual game is both more fun and easier than using a keyboard (can't find/affrd a controller thingy for the pc)

The list I've played and how I rate them on a scale of 1-10 (10 being best):
Chrono Trigger-10
Earthbound-10
Mario RPG-10
Lufia-9
Lufia 2-10
Secret of Mana-8
Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 3)-10
Illusion of Gaia-6 (I'll admit, I never had the chance to play it all the way)
Secret of Evermore-10
Secret of the Stars-6
Ogre Battle-10 (Techniclly a strategy RPG)
Tactics Ogre-10 (the snes rom, not the psx us release)
Dragon Quest 5-9 (rom with english patch)
Dragon Quest 6-10 (again, Rom with English patch)
Magic Knight Rayearth (rom with English patch)
Ranma 1/2 RPG-8 (rom with a patch that freezes after the final boss)
Tenchi Muyo RPG-8 (you know the drill. Rom with English patch)
Breath of Fire-9
Breath of Fire 2-10
Tales of Phantasia-10 (rom with an English Patch)
Robotek-9
Final Fantasy 2/4-9
Final Fantasy 3/6-10 (my 2nd fav FF game)
Final Fantasy 5-9
Sailor Moon RPG-8 (you're reading that right. A rom with English Patch)

and that's all I remember off the top of my head. I've played others, but couldn't find a patch for them. Anyways, I can recommend most of, if not all of these at least a try. :kitty:

Kairyu
05-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Secret of Evermore ruled. It's the game Secret of Mana wanted to be when it got completed. There was so much stuff hidden in it...

Gleeok
05-24-2007, 12:39 AM
I've played many a great RPG on the snes, both in it's hay-day and via emulation. I must admit, playing the actual game is both more fun and easier than using a keyboard (can't find/affrd a controller thingy for the pc)

I picked up one at target for $10, and one with dual analog( just for smash tv!) for 20. it's worth it.

Glenn the Great
05-24-2007, 02:06 AM
Yeah, I play my Emu games with a Gravis Gamepad Pro. I want to find a better gamepad though. I don't like how the D-Pad is designed on mine. It's too circular, making it very easy to accidently hit a diagonal when you just want to hit a cardinal direction, making situations like climbing ladders in Mario 2 very frustrating. Otherwise it's wonderful, and is just like using a real SNES controller, as it even has shoulder buttons.

As for Illusion of Gaia, while a good game, I feel it is the weakest of the Gaia Trilogy. If you are going to play that, play Terranigma too.

MrCow
05-24-2007, 02:43 AM
I liked each of them in different ways. Illusion of Gaia is a favorite of mine, even though the vampires are my absolute hated boss of that game, it still was quite fun. The other games gave a little more freedom then IoG did.

mikeron
05-24-2007, 07:44 AM
I'm also going to have to throw in a good word for Lufia, Illusion of Gaia, and Breath of Fire. The sky garden in IoG is sort of a religious experience.

Riveting grammar note: I used to prefer not to place that final comma before the "and" in the list sytax shown above, but once I learned to program, I haven't been able to leave it out. Guess how many times I've been laid this month.

Glenn the Great
05-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Riveting grammar note: I used to prefer not to place that final comma before the "and" in the list sytax shown above, but once I learned to program, I haven't been able to leave it out. Guess how many times I've been laid this month.

Grammar is very important to me, but I've developed a few personal modifications to it. Like you, I always add the comma after 'and'. Also, I don't include punctuation inside of parenthesis (like this).

Cloral
05-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Tangent: even though many people will tell you otherwise, you are supposed to put the comma before the final item in a list. The reason is simple: you could have an item in the list that in itself contains an 'and', and so the comma prevents ambiguity. Consider the following list: For breakfast, I like cereal, bacon and eggs and pancakes. So which do I like? Bacon and eggs, or eggs and pancakes? With a comma it is clear: For breakfast, I like cereal, bacon and eggs, and pancakes.

On topic (kinda): Terranigma was the best of the 'Gaia' series when it came to fighting. You had plenty of moves at your disposal and the action as a whole felt a lot better than in Gaia (which feels slow by comparison). Though it did have some issues with balance in a couple areas, most notably with the boss of the castle in Spain. The big downside to me with Terranigma was the relative lack of interesting characters. This made the storyline drag a bit in my opinion.

Brasel
05-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Yeah.
Check the link in my signature to see pics of my gaming setup.
There's no way I could ever play these via emulation.

I used to have quite an impressive NES and SNES collection, but to buy newer games I had to trade a lot of older games in and I regret it these days. If I started my collection back up, I'm sure my wife would kill me...we have furniture and a new car to buy. I hate growing up. Just saying that I'm jealous of your collection.

Glenn the Great
05-24-2007, 03:18 PM
The big downside to me with Terranigma was the relative lack of interesting characters. This made the storyline drag a bit in my opinion.

Yeah. You're literally the only human on the planet for a lot of the game, and it was hard to have characters who remain central to the plot long enough to get character development since you're supposed to be in a world of transition. Meilin was a very well developed character, however.

War Lord
05-24-2007, 05:12 PM
I used to have quite an impressive NES and SNES collection, but to buy newer games I had to trade a lot of older games in and I regret it these days. If I started my collection back up, I'm sure my wife would kill me...we have furniture and a new car to buy. I hate growing up. Just saying that I'm jealous of your collection.

I'm glad we've got furniture and such out of the way. I've always had a monthly budget allotted for gaming though. I've done it since I was a kid and I don't see it stopping soon. It's actually been worse as an adult with disposable income.

Sam Atoms
05-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Yeah. You're literally the only human on the planet for a lot of the game, and it was hard to have characters who remain central to the plot long enough to get character development since you're supposed to be in a world of transition. Meilin was a very well developed character, however.

And that's a problem? What's wrong with spending time with Amaryllis and the plants?

mikeron
05-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Tangent: even though many people will tell you otherwise, you are supposed to put the comma before the final item in a list. The reason is simple: you could have an item in the list that in itself contains an 'and', and so the comma prevents ambiguity. Consider the following list: For breakfast, I like cereal, bacon and eggs and pancakes. So which do I like? Bacon and eggs, or eggs and pancakes? With a comma it is clear: For breakfast, I like cereal, bacon and eggs, and pancakes.My understanding is that there are two styles of list construction: English and American (though that may be bullshit). Supposedly, the English style omits the final comma, while the American style includes it. However, the English style has probably been deprecated for quite a while.

Cloral
05-26-2007, 12:48 AM
All I know for sure is that my English teacher in high school told us that you're supposed to include it. And seeing how he is an English teacher, I'm going to assume that he's a reliable authority on the matter.