PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero II - Anyone Playing?

ShadowTiger
05-22-2007, 07:16 PM
I am immensely pleased to report that Guitar Hero II is one of the most addicting games I've played all year. (And I'm hooked on World Of Warcraft. :naughty: ) Assuming you have the actual guitar controller, of course. There's this one particular song I can't stop playing. "Less Talk More Rokk" by Freezepop. There's also that crazy song, "Six," (Forgot who made it.) that everyone challenges everyone else to, even in easy mode, and just gets raped by it over and over again. I've got like, .. a 98% and a 94% on it on easy and medium, respectively, where everyone else gets ten points lower. (People who actually OWN the game.) I'm glad I have Stepmania to thank for that skill boost.

Yeah, seriously, if you have a PS2 or an XBox360, I highly suggest checking it out.

EDIT: Here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=NLmYPe_jLqg) is a video of someone pwning Less Talk More Rokk on Expert with 100%. Shows the basic gameplay and such.

Beldaran
05-22-2007, 08:37 PM
Since I actually play guitar, I have no need for this game. :)

Playing Guitar Hero is to playing guitar what masturbation is to sex. Of course, playing real guitar requires years of practice so it's not exactly convenient.

ShadowTiger
05-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Same thing with DDR to actual dancing. Guitar Hero nor DDR cannot compare to the real thing.

It is, however, a video game that allows you to spend money on a cheap simulator of the actual experience, with less than half of the potential for experiencing the full ... well ... experience.

In other words, it's fun. Whatever. :blah:

vegeta1215
05-22-2007, 09:24 PM
I played Guitar Hero a few times in Wal-Mart - I was suprised to see Monkey Wrench by the Foo Fighters on the list, so I figured I'd give that one a try since I can actually play it on the guitar.

I guess I need some practice though, because I think the song is easier to play on a REAL guitar than it is in the game. :shrug: It was still fun though. It will be neat to see what they do with the game when Guitar Hero 3 comes out on Wii. (I think they announced that a little while ago). Maybe you will be able to set the WiiMote in the guitar body, and motions etc will play an even bigger role in bonus points.

Grasshopper
05-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Since I actually play guitar, I have no need for this game. :)

Playing Guitar Hero is to playing guitar what masturbation is to sex. Of course, playing real guitar requires years of practice so it's not exactly convenient.
And, you don't need practice to make a baby. :D

I don't play guitar, but I love this game. And its a cheap and easy alternative to the real thing. I probably never will play the real thing and don't care too. This will eventually get boring, but its fun right now, so what the heck.

From what I hear, some songs are easier on the PS2, while others are actually easier on a real guitar. I have both games and play them in short bursts. I can hop on a flight path from Area 52 to Shattrath city, and go play a couple songs before I land. :)

I think its fun, but I'm not that great at it. I can only do a handful of songs on hard, and even then, the hammer ons and pull offs kill me. And since I have my game on now, I think I'll go try Six and see whats so hard about it. Never played that song.

Edit: I got 86% on Medium first time. :shrug:

War Lord
05-23-2007, 03:32 AM
I play it here and there on the 360. I picked it up with an extra guitar when it came out. Wish I had jumped on the bandwagon sooner and got it for PS2. Would have been worth it either way.

Great fun when you don't want to play a "normal" game or just want to rock out.
Nothing like turning the surround sound all the way up and blowing through a few tracks.

I made it through easy with 3 buttons no problem. You throw in that 4th button on medium though and it's all downhill for me.
I just need to practice.

DarkDragoonX
05-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Not a fan of "rhythm games" (nor rock music, really, so this game is rather out of my field of interest on both fronts) myself. Nonetheless, from all the positive comments I've been seeing, it seems to be a spectacular game. Despite my general lack of interest in both the music and the gameplay type, I'm half tempted to give it a try.

Gleeok
05-23-2007, 08:02 AM
This is ridiculous. If your that into this game why don't you just play a real guitar. Check it out, it's a Jason Becker hack.(someone has way too much free time on their hands.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRYl4ns88KM

Nicholas Steel
05-23-2007, 08:26 AM
i heard some of the songs are just covers of the original.

Grasshopper
05-23-2007, 10:53 AM
This is ridiculous. If your that into this game why don't you just play a real guitar. Check it out, it's a Jason Becker hack.(someone has way too much free time on their hands.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRYl4ns88KM

I'd say a lot of the people who hack Guitar Hero 2 with their own songs probably do play a real guitar.

War Lord
05-23-2007, 03:14 PM
They're all cover songs. They are well done cover songs however.

I don't play a real guitar though, because I'm a gamer. I prefer to play games. If I spent enough time to get good at playing guitar, I wouldn't have time to play games anymore.

Beldaran
05-23-2007, 04:23 PM

I don't play a real guitar though, because I'm a gamer. I prefer to play games. If I spent enough time to get good at playing guitar, I wouldn't have time to play games anymore.

Yep. Which is why

a) I tend to suck at games

b) Don't own many games

c) Never make any progress in WoW

But oh well, you make sacrifices for what you like to do I guess. :)

Nicholas Steel
05-23-2007, 06:38 PM

haha, so your sure there ALL cover songs? xD my bro's friends of which one who owns the game think that only some are cover songs ;P

i must admit that yes if they all are cover songs that some are pretty damn well made.

SpacemanDan
05-23-2007, 07:12 PM
I've always wanted to try this one, but I have a GameCube, not a PS2, nor and XBox360, so I can't play it, unless someone I know gets it. :p Certainly seems like alot of fun, since I've always enjoyed rythym games.

Graabnar
05-24-2007, 08:58 PM
haha, so your sure there ALL cover songs? xD my bro's friends of which one who owns the game think that only some are cover songs ;P

i must admit that yes if they all are cover songs that some are pretty damn well made.

Well, the bonus songs are all original, but every single song (except for John the Fisherman) on Career is a cover. I think that most of them are good covers, all except one, Hangar 18. The singer sounds like a retard, but its still cool to see Megadeth.

One thing I dont get, is why they havent put any Metallica in there yet. :( It may be the crazy-ness of ALL the solos.
I have the perfect songs from them to put in there...

Creeping Death
Jump in the Fire (oh yea I can play this)
The Four Horsemen
Hit the Lights (basically like Jordan, all mainly solos)
Fade to Black
The Call of Ktulu (sick song)

rock_nog
05-25-2007, 04:43 PM
I heard someone somewhere, in response to the "Why don't you learn to play a real guitar?" question, say "Well, why don't you go and really jack cars and kill prostitutes, instead of playing GTA?" It's a game, it's just for fun.

Anyway, I freakin' LOVE Guitar Hero. I got a PS2 for the sole purpose of being able to play. And now I find out they're coming out with Guitar Hero for the Wii. *shrug* Oh well, it's still fun as hell, and I can't wait for the 80's edition coming out this summer.

By the way, why is everyone so obsessed with Guitar Hero for the Wii? I mean, I can't really see what the Wii could do for Guitar Hero that other systems couldn't. Well, aside from the fact that the controller will automatically be wireless if it has to plug into the Wiimote. And, I guess downloading new content, but the PS3 and 360 versions will presumably be able to do that, too. And it's nice for people who only own Nintendo systems, like I did until I played Guitar Hero II for the first time.