PDA

View Full Version : Square's newest blunder.

Orion
05-21-2007, 10:41 PM
So I read this rather agonizing review of Squenix's latest butchering of the Mana franchise.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3159717

It sounds like the man directing the series at the moment is perfectly content with running it into the ground. Actually, it seems to be the direction of the company in general lately, what with the numerous Final Fantasy XIII amd VII cash cows, and remakes of remakes of 10 year old games.

Wake me up when they make a good game.

Graabnar
05-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Well, you might as well never wake up. They really dont care about game-play much anymore, they just want to con off a few sequels of great games to make some more cash. Its actually very maddening because Secret of Mana was a great game, and it always will be.

Dark Knight
05-22-2007, 12:34 AM
It seems Square, at least with Final Fantasy, is focusing more on cashing in on previous installements and only making the latest installement pretty. XII blew ass in terms of story but my, it sure was pretty looking. At least the fans that started playing at VII were happy. Not like an RPG needs a story anymore anyways. -_-

And...do we REALLY need yet another remake of Final Fantasy IV? How many times do they expect people to actually pay for this shit? Ugh, if Final Fantasy XIII doesn't have a good story, I'm threw with Square. I've wasted enough of my money on crap, I don't need anymore.

Seeing what they've done with the Mana franchise only adds to my frustration.

Mitsukara
05-22-2007, 01:27 AM
They need to quit screwing around making rerererereremakes of Final Fantasy games and start remaking Dragon Quest games. Let's review FF remakes vs DQ remakes/releases:

FF: NES/Famicom, WonderSwan Color (Japan only / J/O), PSX, Gameboy Advance, upcoming DS remake (I think, not sure about htat last part)
FFII: FC (J/O), WSC (J.O), PSX, GBA
FFIII: FC (J/O), WSC (J/O), DS
FFIV: SNES/Super Famicom, WSC (J/O), PSX, GBa, DS
FFV: SFC (J/O), PSX, GBA
FFVI: SNES/SFC, PSX, GBA
FFVII: PSX
FFVIII: PSX
FFIX: PSX
FFX: PS2
FFXI: PS2, Computer
FFXIII: PS2

Now let's see Dragon Quest:

DQ1: NES/FC, SFC (J/O), GBC
DQ2: NES/FC, SFC (J/O), GBC
DQ3: NES/FC, SFC (J/O), GBC
DQ4: NES/FC, PSX (J/o)
DQV: SFC (J/O), PS2 (J/O)
DQVI: SFC (J/O)
DQVII: PSX
DQVIII: PS2

So two of the eight (one fourth) games in the series have never been released in the US period, most have only had one remake; the ones that had two remakes, we got one of those remakes. The shitty, fugly GBC versions. DQVII NEEDS a rerelease because of rarity and problems with disc flaws making the game unplayable (there's a very widespread problem with DQVII discs where certain areas of the game don't load, and if that happened to be something you needed to do to progress, you're fucked), VI and V have never been released here, IV is only available for the NES... and that's not going into all the spinoffs, of which very few made it to the US. Dragon Quest Monsters, and since the modest success of DQVIII they're releasing stuff like Rocket Slime and Dragon Quest Monsters Joker here... but for the most part Dragon Quest is getting shafted. I mean, let's look at this from an american viewpoint:

Want to play 1-3? Well, you COULD try to get working NES copies, or download them illegally, but you can also get a remake with enhanced features and EVEN UGLIER (than the NES) graphics for your GBC/better. If you can find them.

Want to play 4? Pretty much have to play the NES version.

Want to play 5? You're only going to if you download it, or import it and learn Japanese.

Want to play 6? Unless you speak japanese, you're SOL, because it doesn't even have a real, complete fan translation; the best attempts still crapped out and never finished.

Want to play 7? Good luck. You'll probably need to do what I did and own (at least) two copies of the game. Well, okay, I bought one and borrowed the other, but still.

Want to play 8? Great, go to Wal Mart/etc. and pick it up for $20.

There's something wrong with that, and it angers me.

mrz84
05-22-2007, 09:01 AM
They need to quit screwing around making rerererereremakes of Final Fantasy games and start remaking Dragon Quest games. Let's review FF remakes vs DQ remakes/releases:

FF: NES/Famicom, WonderSwan Color (Japan only / J/O), PSX, Gameboy Advance, upcoming DS remake (I think, not sure about htat last part)
FFII: FC (J/O), WSC (J.O), PSX, GBA
FFIII: FC (J/O), WSC (J/O), DS
FFIV: SNES/Super Famicom, WSC (J/O), PSX, GBa, DS
FFV: SFC (J/O), PSX, GBA
FFVI: SNES/SFC, PSX, GBA
FFVII: PSX
FFVIII: PSX
FFIX: PSX
FFX: PS2
FFXI: PS2, Computer
FFXIII: PS2

Now let's see Dragon Quest:

DQ1: NES/FC, SFC (J/O), GBC
DQ2: NES/FC, SFC (J/O), GBC
DQ3: NES/FC, SFC (J/O), GBC
DQ4: NES/FC, PSX (J/o)
DQV: SFC (J/O), PS2 (J/O)
DQVI: SFC (J/O)
DQVII: PSX
DQVIII: PS2

So two of the eight (one fourth) games in the series have never been released in the US period, most have only had one remake; the ones that had two remakes, we got one of those remakes. The shitty, fugly GBC versions. DQVII NEEDS a rerelease because of rarity and problems with disc flaws making the game unplayable (there's a very widespread problem with DQVII discs where certain areas of the game don't load, and if that happened to be something you needed to do to progress, you're fucked), VI and V have never been released here, IV is only available for the NES... and that's not going into all the spinoffs, of which very few made it to the US. Dragon Quest Monsters, and since the modest success of DQVIII they're releasing stuff like Rocket Slime and Dragon Quest Monsters Joker here... but for the most part Dragon Quest is getting shafted. I mean, let's look at this from an american viewpoint:

Want to play 1-3? Well, you COULD try to get working NES copies, or download them illegally, but you can also get a remake with enhanced features and EVEN UGLIER (than the NES) graphics for your GBC/better. If you can find them.

Want to play 4? Pretty much have to play the NES version.

Want to play 5? You're only going to if you download it, or import it and learn Japanese.

Want to play 6? Unless you speak japanese, you're SOL, because it doesn't even have a real, complete fan translation; the best attempts still crapped out and never finished.

Want to play 7? Good luck. You'll probably need to do what I did and own (at least) two copies of the game. Well, okay, I bought one and borrowed the other, but still.

Want to play 8? Great, go to Wal Mart/etc. and pick it up for $20.

There's something wrong with that, and it angers me.

I must agree. Dragon Quest needs to remakes/rereleases. Especially the older games before 8. I've played all 4 of the first games and liked them. I've also found decent translations for 5 and 6. I want those games more than any Final Fantasy game right now. Except for maybe FF8. :kitty:

Gleeok
05-22-2007, 10:10 AM
I have to agree. I would love to see some Dragon Warrior remakes. But right now i'm hoping even more for a star ocean 3 ;P

Orion
05-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Let us not forget, Square is releasing FF1 for the PSP yet again.

Brasel
05-22-2007, 12:01 PM
It seems Square, at least with Final Fantasy, is focusing more on cashing in on previous installements and only making the latest installement pretty. XII blew ass in terms of story but my, it sure was pretty looking. At least the fans that started playing at VII were happy. Not like an RPG needs a story anymore anyways. -_-

And...do we REALLY need yet another remake of Final Fantasy IV? How many times do they expect people to actually pay for this shit? Ugh, if Final Fantasy XIII doesn't have a good story, I'm threw with Square. I've wasted enough of my money on crap, I don't need anymore.

Seeing what they've done with the Mana franchise only adds to my frustration.

I don't know what you're smoking, the story in FFXII was really good. Now, its not The Illiad, but none of the Final Fantasy's ever have been.

Cloral
05-22-2007, 12:28 PM
The truth of the matter with the FF remakes is if you look at the sales charts, you'll see that they're selling quite well. So as long as that continues, Square will keep making them. No reason for them to stop so long as they're making money.

Dark Knight
05-22-2007, 03:31 PM
I don't know what you're smoking, the story in FFXII was really good. Now, its not The Illiad, but none of the Final Fantasy's ever have been.

Well, blew ass might have been too strong, but still, it isn't up to par of many of the rest in the series. I felt no drive to learn more about the characters or the story, until the end. Sorry if this doesn't please you. It's only an opinion. You seem to have enjoyed the story far more than I did.

The gameplay did at least rock. I'm currently replaying it though. Maybe I'll like it more a second time around. *shrugs*

Jigglysaint
05-22-2007, 05:33 PM
There needs to be a Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy crossover where Edrick kicks the living crap out of Cloud, or somthing like that. Perhaps if they use Final Fantasy to sell Dragon Quest, that too could become a sell out series. In fact, why don't they just come out with a fighting game, where you are all sorts of square and enix characters just trying to kick the crap out of each other?

vegeta1215
05-22-2007, 07:14 PM
I read about Dawn of Mana a little while back, and it doesn't surprise me it got the score it did. Honestly, I've pretty much given up on Square ever making another great Mana game. Instead of churning out all these games and cashing in on the name, they should get their asses in gear and port Seiken Densetsu 3 to the GBA, DS, or Wii Virtual console. I will say Heroes of Mana looks neat though.

In terms of remakes/re-releases, anyone wanna make a bet on what year the FFVII remake for the PS3 is gonna come out?

Darth Marsden
05-23-2007, 05:20 AM
Jennifer: I too would like to see Dragon Quest games remade for a US/European market. I'd certainly be interested in them.

Dark Knight: I don't think there's been a particularly good FF story since FFIX. But then, that's just my opinion. ;)

Jigglysaint: Ha! (http://uk.psp.ign.com/objects/904/904962.html)

vegeta1215: 2009.

DarkDragoonX
05-23-2007, 05:57 AM
Let us not forget, Square is releasing FF1 for the PSP yet again.

This is actually forgivable if it's true to the original NES cart like the PS1 remake version instead of the watered-down shitfest that was the GBA remake. Then there will finally be a GOOD portable version of FF1.

Mitsukara
05-23-2007, 06:21 AM
Perhaps if they use Final Fantasy to sell Dragon Quest, that too could become a sell out series.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/94/Dragon_Quest_VIII_Journey_of_the_Cursed_King.jpeg/256px-Dragon_Quest_VIII_Journey_of_the_Cursed_King.jpeg
http://mitsukara.galxeth.net/FFXIIad.jpg

I'm surprised to see this many people agree with me though ^.^ I really love Dragon Quest. I don't hate Final Fantasy or anything, I really love some of them actually, but geez, two remakes of FFIV and two remakes of FF1 at the same time as other remakes, all of which had already been previously remade, is a little ridiculous. What other games have been remade this many times? The original primary Mario games maybe, but there were roughly 5 year (I think- haven't double checked this) periods inbetween the original releases, the first remakes, and the second remakes, which can't be said for Final Fantasy.

I can appreciate V and the long neglected III getting some attention (though those happen to be my favorite two games of what I've played of FF), but not one but TWO remakes of FFIV, and of FF1... how many remakes can they possibly need, especially since they were both released in the US and Europe the first time around? Couldn't they at least wait more than three years before trying to pump more money out of them again?

I don't really HATE to see these remakes insomuch as I hate to see this kind of focus going all into one series alone. Besides the neglected Dragon Quest series, think of how many classic things have never been remade; Zelda and Zelda II, Metroid (AFAIK), Kirby's Adventure. Rockman/Megaman 1-3 were remade, but only as an obscure, hard to obtain title- and only via SATTELITE in the US, making them temporary releases here- for the Genesis. That was so long ago it's not even funny. Sure, there's Megaman Powered Up, but where are Rockman 2 and 3? What about 4 5 and 6, which don't exist beyond the NES originals? Those games could be pretty cool with a remake and some tweaking (losing the megabuster charge in 5 and 6 should probably be removed, etc).

I like remakes. But what's the fun of remaking the same thing over and over in a relatively short time period? It's like FFIV is the new Star Wars original trilogy, they should just start attaching update version numbers to these things. "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, 1.24 beta", "Final Fantasy IV, 2.86".

DarkDragoonX
05-23-2007, 06:34 AM
I like remakes. But what's the fun of remaking the same thing over and over in a relatively short time period? It's like FFIV is the new Star Wars original trilogy, they should just start attaching update version numbers to these things. "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, 1.24 beta", "Final Fantasy IV, 2.86".

Indeed. The fact that a few of the games have been "remade" three or four times now is fairly absurd. Makes some new games for a change, you lazy bastards!

On the remake front, however, I'd really rather see Dragon Quest remakes more than anything. DQ3 is one of my favorite NES RPGs, and having a portable version of that would be great... hell, the US never got the fancy-pants SNES remakes of the first three games... those would be perfect to throw on a single cart/disc for the DS/PSP.

mrz84
05-23-2007, 10:26 AM
A FF/DQ fighting game would be cool. It could be the new Smash Bros, but with RPG characters. :kitty: I think that there are some good games that should be remade as well as the Dragon Quest series. The first Metroid has been remade (as Zero Mission). Metroid 2 would be sweet in a style like Zero Mission. Then there's the Zelda games. Remake Link's Awakening and maybe the Oracle games with LttP/Minish Cap style and you've got soem good stuff. Don't get me wrong, those are all good games, but to see remakes of them would be kinda cool. Admit it. :kitty:

Darth Marsden
05-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Since nobody appeared to pick up on it, there IS a Final Fantasy beat-em-up coming out. It's called Final Fantasy Dissidia, it's for the PSP and it's made me lose any respect for Square-Enix that I had left. Click the quoted link for more info.

Dark Knight
05-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Jennifer: I too would like to see Dragon Quest games remade for a US/European market. I'd certainly be interested in them.

Dark Knight: I don't think there's been a particularly good FF story since FFIX. But then, that's just my opinion. ;)

vegeta1215: 2009.

X's story wasn't bad, not the best but still pretty good.

mrz84
05-23-2007, 08:46 PM
*reads FF-All-star fighting game article* Sounds sweet. Now if only I had a PSP.....