PDA

View Full Version : So...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

phattonez
10-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Did I get 5000? How appropriate (maybe).

Shazza Dani
10-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Hooray, new page.

Pineconn
10-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Just to let you guys know, I'm going to post this thread's 5000th post.

You guys suck. :p

phattonez
10-09-2008, 10:09 PM
For everyone? Is there a post per page count that isn't a factor of 5000?

Majora
10-09-2008, 10:09 PM
A history grad student, Marta,
mis-clicked as she browsed on Encarta.
Instead of King Midas,
there appeared Leonidas --
"Phrygia? Madame, THIS IS SPARTA!"

YOU BLOW

Aegix Drakan
10-09-2008, 10:12 PM
My question is, who goes around throwing trashcans into lakes, honestly?

FLASHBACK TO MEGAMAN STARFORCE 2 NPC CHATTER.

NPC1: *is in a shopping malll* I can't believe it! I keep losing EVERYTHING! I broke a mop, a vacuum, a frying pan, and my refrigerator!

Mega: How can someone lose a whole fridge?!?

---LATER, IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY ---

NPC2: *is on the edge of a lake* I keep a collection of these objects I found in the lake, so that I cna return them to whoever lost them. so far, I found a mop, a vacuum, a frying pan, and a refrigerator!

Mega: Who the heck could lose a whole refrigerator?

Me: ...HOW THE HELL CAN SOMEONE NOT ONLY LOSE A FRIDGE, BUT LOSE IT IN ANOTHER FREAKING COUNTRY, IN A LAKE?!?!?!? @_@

rock_nog
10-09-2008, 10:13 PM
I find the lack of David Bowie disturbing.

erm2003
10-09-2008, 10:14 PM
One year and almost 5 months later, So... hits it's 5000th post. Niiiiiiiiiice.

Let's keep it going everyone!

Shazza Dani
10-09-2008, 10:16 PM
I find the lack of David Bowie disturbing.

AS DO I‼

http://seattlest.com/attachments/seattle_michael2/Jareth.jpg

The_Amaster
10-09-2008, 10:17 PM
...oookay, that was kinda freaky.
I was looking for a book I lost, and as I was getting frustrated, I actually felt the mental processes spring into action that said "press ctrl-t, type 'www.google.com', search 'Howl's Moving Castle'".

My pinkie and index fingers twitched.

Shazza Dani
10-09-2008, 10:18 PM
...oookay, that was kinda freaky.
I was looking for a book I lost, and as I was getting frustrated, I actually felt the mental processes spring into action that said "press ctrl-t, type 'www.google.com', search 'Howl's Moving Castle'".

My pinkie and index fingers twitched.

Sometimes when I'm out walking and I'm not sure where I am, I try to look at the map on my HUD. o_O

phattonez
10-09-2008, 10:19 PM
You think that's freaky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhSYbRiYwTY&feature=related

Shazza Dani
10-09-2008, 10:31 PM
What happened? This thread just died.

phattonez
10-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Everyone wanted 5000. It passed, and so did the activity.

Shazza Dani
10-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Fine, fine. I'm getting offline now anyway. Going to work on ZQuest! O:>

And I'm going to watch Signs‼ Hooray for Joaquin Phoenix. O:>>

Majora
10-09-2008, 10:58 PM
http://img01.picoodle.com/img/img01/3/10/9/f_StarFoxbySpm_a194a8c.jpg

Pryme8
10-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Spirited Away is anouther good one@!

BlissUnknown
10-10-2008, 12:24 AM
I'm new to this forum. After a long day of classes/meetings, I used Google to search for interesting forums that at least occasionally have active users who aren't repelled by intellectual conversations every now and then. And this seems like an awesome one so far! :)

Icey
10-10-2008, 12:50 AM
You guys suck. :p

phattonez called it 11 hours before you and also stuck around to do it. He deserves it more :p

(he's also posted like 9 bajillion times in this thread)

BlissUnknown
10-10-2008, 12:54 AM
http://a819.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/80/l_a647861b64c96165032d16eb66dcdd1a.jpg

That is insanely creepy.:eek:

Icey
10-10-2008, 01:02 AM
Stop posting that guy...

Shazza Dani
10-10-2008, 01:06 AM
Stop posting that guy...

http://a991.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/124/l_afe8c4ee3f26048e11fe286e934572ae.jpg

BlissUnknown
10-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Some people can just be so twisted... :shakeno:

phattonez
10-10-2008, 01:25 AM
BlissUnknown, where do you live in LA?

BlissUnknown
10-10-2008, 01:33 AM
Shall I give that info out over the internet so that people like this http://a991.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/124/l_afe8c4ee3f26048e11fe286e934572ae.jpg may knock on my door in the middle of the night? :tongue:

Icey
10-10-2008, 01:33 AM
Shall I give that info out over the internet so that people like this http://a991.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/124/l_afe8c4ee3f26048e11fe286e934572ae.jpg may knock on my door in the middle of the night? :tongue:

THANK YOU for making that a URL and not an IMG. Anyway, just giving a general area wouldn't hurt. LA is the most populated city in the country :)

BlissUnknown
10-10-2008, 01:37 AM
Westwood, and that's as specific as I'll go. :)

PS: Well, making it an IMG didn't even cross my mind. How would I go about doing that? (Not that I would...)

BlissUnknown tends to be inept at these things...

Shazza Dani
10-10-2008, 01:39 AM

If you could promise me those two would show up at my house, I'd post my full address right now. =]

Icey
10-10-2008, 01:41 AM
Westwood, and that's as specific as I'll go. :)

PS: Well, making it an IMG didn't even cross my mind. How would I go about doing that? (Not that I would...)

BlissUnknown tends to be inept at these things...

Oh, there is no way I would tell you that. Not until you forget all about that picture, anyway.

And yeah, it's not like I want you to be any more specific. I'm not giving out my street address, nor would I request that you give out yours :p

I will say I worked at CPK for like 6 months last year, I'm sure you know where that is; and, both phattonez and I go to UCLA.

BlissUnknown
10-10-2008, 01:42 AM
I know where CPK is, but I've never been.

UCLA?!:eek: What a small, small world...

Mighty_darknut... I have nothing to say to you. Lol.

Shazza Dani
10-10-2008, 01:42 AM
Damn all you people living in LA. I'm jealous.

Mighty_darknut... I have nothing to say to you. Lol.

I understand no one here shares my love for pretty boys. That makes me sad. D:

Icey
10-10-2008, 01:47 AM
Damn all you people living in LA. I'm jealous.

What's there to be jealous of? I've lived here my whole life, and yeah, there are some good things in LA, but I doubt I'll stay here for grad school. Looking into MIT and UChicago right now, actually ^^

Shazza Dani
10-10-2008, 01:59 AM
What's there to be jealous of? I've lived here my whole life, and yeah, there are some good things in LA, but I doubt I'll stay here for grad school. Looking into MIT and UChicago right now, actually ^^

•the climate - I can't stand winter in PA
•Corey Miller - Works in LA. I want him to tattoo me
•Wes Borland - My favourite artist in the world lives in LA
•it's California - fuck yeah!

Icey
10-10-2008, 02:02 AM
Oh, yeah. Yes, the weather is amazing. And I do love going to the beach every day during the summer. And there are a lot of beautiful people (I'm not one of them :p).

I guess after living here for 21 years, I take some of that for granted; plus I want a change of pace, after being here so long.

Beldaran
10-10-2008, 02:06 AM
•the climate - I can't stand winter in PA
•Corey Miller - Works in LA. I want him to tattoo me
•Wes Borland - My favourite artist in the world lives in LA
•it's California - fuck yeah!

You forgot some:

*The Traffic - 10 mile trip take 2 hours
*The Smog - California: Gas Mask not included
*The Crime - Lots o' that
*The Cost of Living - $1.3 mil for a house that would cost $300k anywhere else.

Shazza Dani
10-10-2008, 02:08 AM
Traffic wouldn't affect me. I'm a walk/bike type of person.

BlissUnknown
10-10-2008, 02:09 AM
You forgot some:

*The Traffic - 10 mile trip take 2 hours
*The Smog - California: Gas Mask not included
*The Crime - Lots o' that
*The Cost of Living - $1.3 mil for a house that would cost $300k anywhere else.

And:

*Humid mornings

Icey
10-10-2008, 02:11 AM
lol, a 10 mile trip does not take two hours. I have had a 15 mile trip take 90 minutes though (of course, you don't drive at certain times unless you really have to...). Yeah, traffic sucks, and it's a big part of why I'll move.

Smog is not as bad as it was 30 years ago, in most parts of California it's not even noticable. CA has some of the strictist pollution standards in the country now.

I've never had any actual contact with crime. It depends on where you live and hang out, I guess. Some places are much worse than others (e.g. east LA, some specific neighborhoods...).

And yeah, the cost of living is a HUGE reason I'm moving out. It's just disgusting. Of course, salaries are higher to make up for that, but it doesn't even come close to capturing the full difference.

One last aside... whether your favorite actor, artist, etc. lives in LA or California is not the best reason for wanting to move there. Like I said, I've lived in LA my whole life, and I've never met a famous person. It's not like they are all my neighbors or something :p (In reality, they live in big, gated mansions that us poor folk aren't allowed near).

----

Bliss posted after me - humidity is way worse in the midwest and south! I never even knew what humidity really meant until I visited Kansas. Holy shit, am I glad that kind of stuff doesn't happen here.

Shazza Dani
10-10-2008, 02:24 AM
One last aside... whether your favorite actor, artist, etc. lives in LA or California is not the best reason for wanting to move there. Like I said, I've lived in LA my whole life, and I've never met a famous person. It's not like they are all my neighbors or something :p (In reality, they live in big, gated mansions that us poor folk aren't allowed near).

I'm not sure where Wes lives exactly, but I know it's not a mansion. Still, it's not like I'd really expect to meet him if I went to LA. If I wanted to meet him, I'd go to one of his shows when his band starts touring again.

BlissUnknown
10-10-2008, 02:24 AM
I've never been to the midwest and south. :)
When I came to LA, the humidity really struck me because there was much less humidity where I used to live.

Thanks for the info.

Modus Ponens
10-10-2008, 03:49 AM
You think that's freaky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhSYbRiYwTY&feature=related

Thank you for that, phattonez. I love Space Oddity. And I hope it took them no more than six hours to make that video. It was just Bowie strumming intercut with some random oscilloscope readout and the occasional "weird" shot of the mixing board.

But man I love David Bowie. I got to see him live a few years ago when he played in Seattle. He's got the best Goddamn voice of any man I've heard.

phattonez
10-10-2008, 03:34 PM
I never would have expected 3 people from UCLA on this board. What are the odds?

As for traffic, it's really not that bad. I don't even have a car and I get around easily, which is great.
Pollution? Forget about it. Air is great during the year except for summer (and even that's nowhere near as bad as it used to be) and now the federal government is holding us back on trying to make our air cleaner.
The crime? This is the second safest large city in the US, only behind New York. How's that for crime?
The cost of living is high, but that's because of NIMBYs who think that increased density will bring more traffic. They're even fighting against high rises around subway stops. It's nuts. Until we get more density,we're stuck with high prices.

All things considered:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiizQk_3pLI

Shazza Dani
10-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Randy Newman for the win‼

Shazza Dani
10-11-2008, 12:50 AM
This thread needs more activity, dammit. D:

Russ
10-11-2008, 12:54 AM
Well then here's your activity!

Running; Jumping; Swimming; Flying; Skiing.

Is that enough activity for you?

Shazza Dani
10-11-2008, 12:58 AM
I'm afraid of heights and water, and I don't like snow. Those activities are not for me. =[ Running is fine, I guess.

phattonez
10-11-2008, 01:23 AM
How do you even go outside?

Shazza Dani
10-11-2008, 01:29 AM
Uhm, what?

phattonez
10-11-2008, 01:59 AM
It doesn't seem like you like nature.

Shazza Dani
10-11-2008, 02:23 AM
I love nature. O:

I have a phobia of heights—that has nothing to do with nature. And I don't like snow, because it prevents me from enjoying nature… like flowers and bugs, and uhm, other stuff. And I don't like oceans and lakes and stuff; that's another phobia of mine. D: I still love sea-dwelling animals though. <3 Squids are my favourite animal (giant squid, to be exact). But I'm a land mammal, so I'll stay out of the water, thank you very muchly.

The_Amaster
10-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Nature is fun! :D

eh, my personal cup of tea is hiking. Love hiking. And camping.

phattonez
10-11-2008, 10:16 AM
I don't understand camping. If you have a vacation, wouldn't like to live above your means instead of way below?

ShadowTiger
10-11-2008, 12:48 PM
From what I understand about it, camping can make you really appreciate what you already do have. There are bound to be tons and tons of other reasons to go camping, but that's one reason that will almost always be there, whether you realize it or not.

I mean, how often do you find yourself saying "I'm so glad to be back in this nice cool house, with no mosquitoes biting me, or wildebeest stealing my lunch."

rock_nog
10-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Besides, as much as people love the luxury of modern living, it does generally come at a price, that being a separation from nature. Obviously, there are aspects of nature that we're glad to be separated from, but at the same time, we're also separated from the beauty, the fresh air, etc., and I think it's something handed down to us from our ancestors that we don't like being away from it.

At least, that's how I feel - I live in this concrete jungle, but only out of necessity. I hate how everything is paved, everything is built up, there's no open areas, etc. Sometimes you just feel choked from city life, and you want to get out there, away from it.

Pryme8
10-11-2008, 01:35 PM
I love going out and roughing it... getting dirty and working hard, with your only shower once ever couple of weeks in the river...

Im more of a mountain man then most though...

rock_nog
10-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Oooh, it's looking like the new Guns 'N' Roses album, Chinese Democracy, is heading for a November 23 release date. Not that I'm a huge Guns 'N' Roses fan, but Dr. Pepper promised to give everyone in America a free can of Dr. Pepper if they release at any point in 2008.

The_Amaster
10-11-2008, 03:23 PM
but Dr. Pepper promised to give everyone in America a free can of Dr. Pepper if they release at any point in 2008.
...what?

rock_nog
10-11-2008, 03:50 PM
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003741826

Shazza Dani
10-11-2008, 05:29 PM
A free 12 oz of soda? Real americans can't even taste something that little. …In America!

The_Amaster
10-11-2008, 05:52 PM
*nods to MD for the nice little joke there* Heh

How would they distribute it though? Just have everyone head to the local 7-11, right down their names in a registry, and take a Doctor Pepper?

phattonez
10-11-2008, 10:56 PM
At least, that's how I feel - I live in this concrete jungle, but only out of necessity. I hate how everything is paved, everything is built up, there's no open areas, etc. Sometimes you just feel choked from city life, and you want to get out there, away from it.

Cities don't have to be like that. It's just how America decided to plan most of its cities. Unfortunately or fortunately, however you see it.

rock_nog
10-11-2008, 11:22 PM
I think it'd be more accurate to say that there really was no planning involved in most American cities. Well, I can't complain too much - Saint Paul isn't as bad as most other places, but still, you know, sometimes you just want to get away from civilization.

phattonez
10-12-2008, 01:36 AM
Actually, there's too much planning. How else do you explain that radically separated residential and commercial areas.

Icey
10-12-2008, 03:43 AM
Camping is amazing! It's just great to get away from all the modern conveniences (annoyances too) and just relax. Going down to the river to catch some trout, grilling said trout over a fire, not even caring what the exact time is. It's an awesome way to slow down, enjoy the beauty of nature that you don't normally get to see, and do anything from a strenuous hike to nothing but lying in a hammock all day.

To me, things like mosquitos, not having appliances, even not having plumbing... are not a big deal. Certainly not having a watch or phone really enhances the experience, because in my day to day life everything is strucutred on what time it is, and the phone is a primary means of communication. But when I go camping, there's no need for either, and there's a certain freedom involved.

Russ
10-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Okay, so yesterday I was at this big meeting. At the end of it, they had the lawyer for the Terrie Schivo case come and speak. I cannot believe what they did to that woman. Do you know our constitution wouldn't allow us to do kill terrorists in the way we killed her?

Anyways, on a more cheerful note, my highschool group went to Redmond Town Center (a huge outdoor mall) last night and got to play a very fun game. We had to find ten teachers, all of whom were in disguise, withing an hour and a half. One of the younger girls dressed up as a Muslim girl, with those big robes or whatever they're called, and she even stained her face a darker color so we wouldn't recognize her!

rock_nog
10-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Not to sound callous, but Terry Schiavo was basically already dead long before they "killed" her. Such was the extent of her brain damage that her brain had essentially liquified.

Russ
10-12-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm sorry, but you are so incredibly wrong. She could move around, she could hear things, she could say simple words, she could do all sorts of stuff. She was just as alive as you are. Shy simply had a mental condition and required somebody to feed her.

rock_nog
10-12-2008, 02:01 PM
She had extensive brain damage. She was unresponsive. EEGs detected no brain activity. She couldn't do anything. The autopsy further supported this diagnosis, as the full extent of the brain damage was revealed - vital sections necessary for conscious thought were basically completely obliterated. All of the evidence supported the diagnosis of being in a persistent vegetative state, with no hope of recovery.

Russ
10-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Really? Because that's not what all the eye-witnesses say. She could move around. She listened to music. She could say small words. She had plenty of brain activity. The autopsy was done after she was deprived of food and water for 13 days, so of course the results from that would come up strange.

And furthermore, she could feel pain. For 13 days, she was dying in one of the cruelest, most painful deaths possible. We wouldn't make terrorists go through that. Do you know they give mroe rights to convicted muderers than they gave to her?

Beldaran
10-12-2008, 02:28 PM
She had plenty of brain activity. The autopsy was done after she was deprived of food and water for 13 days, so of course the results from that would come up strange.

And furthermore, she could feel pain. For 13 days, she was dying in one of the cruelest, most painful deaths possible. We wouldn't make terrorists go through that. Do you know they give mroe rights to convicted muderers than they gave to her?

You have been lied to by your superiors. Basically none of what you said is true or backed up by any evidence whatsoever.

I know that you don't personally ascribe the philosophy that you need evidence to support an idea, but can you prove any of this stuff?

Because the actual data supports what Rock Nog said.

rock_nog
10-12-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm sorry, I just trust the word of medical professionals over family members. I know that's what the family says, but the actual medical ruling was that she was diagnoses with persistent vegetative state. The doctors who examined her found no sign of responsiveness, and EEGs came back negative. Believe me, I have sympathy for the family, I really do, but that's a very difficult situation, and the stress can lead you to see things that aren't actually there. It can be incredibly easy, under those circumstances, to interpret a twitch reflex as a sign of brain activity. Heck, even dead bodies have been known to show signs of movement hours after the heart has stopped.

And to clarify, the brain damage discovered in the autopsy was consistent with prior MRI scans, so the autopsy isn't the only evidence of massive brain damage.

Shazza Dani
10-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Do you know they give [more] rights to convicted muderers than they gave to her?

ITT: Russ is prejudice against murderers. D: What would Jesus do, man? What would Jesus do?

BTW, God:
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/1/l_5d499ab6fdcf4485b899734ae38a4091.jpg

rock_nog
10-12-2008, 04:04 PM
THE ANDROGENY HAS GOT TO END! Argh... It is acceptable from David Bowie and no one else - and even he's given it up.

Pryme8
10-12-2008, 04:34 PM
o_O is that a dude or a girl?

Shazza Dani
10-12-2008, 04:37 PM
He's a guy.

http://a508.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/24/l_0cfbbc5aa5b35372295721e7327a412b.jpg

Russ
10-12-2008, 07:05 PM
It can be incredibly easy, under those circumstances, to interpret a twitch reflex as a sign of brain activity. Heck, even dead bodies have been known to show signs of movement hours after the heart has stopped.

There is a huge differnce between twitching, and talking. She would say "Honey, can you say 'I love you'. And Terrie would struggle and say "I... luuu... yu'. You call that a twitch reflex? I don't think so. Was she disabled? Yes. Was she a vegetable? Not by any means.

He's a guy.

I'm sorry, but that's just creepy.

The_Amaster
10-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Russ, where are you getting your information from? Every time I ever heard anything about the case, she was in a coma pretty much. Just lying there.

If there was any response from her at all, than there wouldn't have been any controversy. The law is explicit; if you are conscious and able to respond, and someone deliberately kills you, that is what we define as murder. Where it gets murky is if someone is still technically alive, but comatose. That's where all the argument came in.

EDIT: Heh, I almost wish I'd gone to my schools Homecoming now, just for the entertainment value. Apparently it sucked, including, but not limited to...
-The DJ being so bad he got booed off the stage.
-Couples not even being allowed to touch each other while dancing.
-Parents and teachers walking around, marking people's hands with sharpie for violations, and kicking people out after two.

My friend who left at 9:30 said she can't believe she had to pay to go, it was such a rip-off. I would have found the whole thing perversely amusing, bitter cynic about school dances that I am.

rock_nog
10-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Russ, you don't think it's remotely possible that maybe, just maybe, the family just imagined that? I'm sorry, but there's absolutely no evidence, to my knowledge, that backs these claims up. Despite the numerous claims the family made, trained medical professionals could detect no signs of sentience. How do you explain that? I understand that it's a very sensitive issue, but at the same time, I also understand the effects those kinds of stresses can have on a person, and how that person's reality can be altered by psychological pressures.

Russ
10-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Russ, where are you getting your information from?
The laywer for her family.

Russ, you don't think it's remotely possible that maybe, just maybe, the family just imagined that?
Ya, I'm sure that the laywer and everybody else just imagined it too. If I can find it, I'll post a link to his speech. The you can judge for yourself.

rock_nog
10-12-2008, 08:01 PM
I don't want a link to a speech by a lawyer - I want testimony by trained medical professionals.

Shazza Dani
10-12-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm of the opinion that if the person was dependant on a feeding tube, she was essentially dead. There was no need for them to keep her "alive" as long as they did.

I hate to be the one who sounds uncompassionate, but I think what I said makes sense.

Russ
10-12-2008, 10:06 PM
She wasn't dependant on a feeing tube. She just needed somebody to put food in her mouth. She wasn't on any kind of life support.

rock_nog
10-12-2008, 10:20 PM
See, now you're just blatantly lying. No one anywhere denies that she required a feeding tube. Where the hell are you getting this garbage?

Shazza Dani
10-12-2008, 10:21 PM
According to Wikipedia, she was dependant on a feeding tube. I think there's too much misinformation about this case to warrant anyone arguing about it any longer. It's in the past anyway.

Beldaran
10-12-2008, 11:05 PM
She wasn't dependant on a feeing tube. She just needed somebody to put food in her mouth. She wasn't on any kind of life support.

lol seriously where do you get your news?

Those of us in reality land know that she was completely dependent on a feeding tube that went directly into her stomach because she her brain was too damaged for her to to know she needed to eat. She was a vegetable; just a living, breathing poop factory with no thought. Terry Schiavo died years before they removed the feeding tube. All that was left was a biological organism with no capacity for thought, reason, emotion, or the desire for self preservation.

Icey
10-13-2008, 12:04 AM
russ, your school had Terry Schivao's lawyer come and talk to you about the case?

Have you ever heard of bias? Look it up in the dictionary, because that's what you were exposed to at your school (somewhere that's supposed to be a place of education, which I guess is really just for indoctrination where you live)

Beldaran
10-13-2008, 12:12 AM
russadwan has a history of taking random strangers at their word (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_of_Tarsus) instead of being skeptical inquisitive.

Shazza Dani
10-13-2008, 12:14 AM
russadwan has a history of taking random strangers at their word (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_of_Tarsus) instead of being skeptical inquisitive.

Lawlz. Indeed.

EDIT: I'll just leave this right here…
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/tdrisko/chris4.png

That's Chris Crocker, btw. He's so effing pretty in this photo. O;

The_Amaster
10-13-2008, 07:03 AM
*sigh* Let's not bring religion into this, guys. Russ was just misinformed, thats all. Grossly, unjustly, blatently misinformed.

phattonez
10-13-2008, 08:17 AM
That's Chris Crocker, btw. He's so effing pretty in this photo. O;

No, and he's not funny either.

Icey
10-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Well, at least I'm not the only one who can't sleep tonight.

And, mighty_darknut, I don't want to put you on ignore... but keep this up, and I will.

phattonez
10-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Oh no, I slept well, I just had to wake up early to do homework. I just don't do good work late at night. I'm very much an early morning person. Usually that early is 6:40, but today there was an exception that had to be made.

Icey
10-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Wow. I'm the opposite - normally I'm staying up late rather than getting up early. Of course, tonight, I couldn't sleep at all, so I stayed up very late - i.e., into the next day. Whoo, my 3 hour seminar is going to be a blast! -_-;;

rock_nog
10-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Ugh, I didn't sleep well last night, but that's because I've got this monster of a cold. Sneezing, sore throat, coughing (which really sucks when combined with the sore throat), fever, achiness, the whole 9 yards.

Beldaran
10-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Let's not bring religion into this,

How do you propose to debate the Terry Schiavo case without mentioning religion, which is the entire basis for conservative argument?

rock_nog
10-13-2008, 12:29 PM
How do you propose to debate the Terry Schiavo case without mentioning religion, which is the entire basis for conservative argument?
Not necessarily - I think a lot of the people who were opposed to her "death" were, like Russ, convinced that she wasn't already braindead. Granted, obviously you have these "culture of life" types who believe you shouldn't pull the plug under any circumstances, but I do remember a lot of them trying to convince us that she wasn't just a sack of meat at that point (but then again, that could just be because even they realize how daft it sounds to argue for keeping a sack of meat alive).

Of course, maybe it's just me, but if I were in that situation, even if I did have some minimal level of consciousness, there's no way in hell I'd want to be kept alive. I mean, to be robbed of your mental faculties like that, just seems like a fate worse than death.

ShadowTiger
10-13-2008, 12:43 PM
I think a lot of the people who were opposed to her "death" were, like Russ, convinced that she wasn't already braindead. Granted, obviously you have these "culture of life" types who believe you shouldn't pull the plug under any circumstances, but I do remember a lot of them trying to convince us that she wasn't just a sack of meat at that point (but then again, that could just be because even they realize how daft it sounds to argue for keeping a sack of meat alive).Aye - It keeps surprising me how on occasion, strong emotional forces (Even from those not really involved.) can make a dent in realistic thinking. If I was completely paralyzed, I'm pretty sure I'd rather die than live trapped in a prison of what was once my own flesh and blood. It'd be pretty horrible. :shakeno: It's like the corruption of what was at one time the ultimate joy, (Well, it'd seem like it relative to what would exist now.) into the ultimate cruelty.

Majora
10-13-2008, 01:46 PM
I love nature. O:

If that was true you wouldn't be destroying it, you vegan fiend! Save a tree, eat a cow. Even though cows don't eat trees, but you get what I mean.

Bash time (http://bash.org/?426527). Except vegans are worse than vegetarians in the context of the quote.

Shazza Dani
10-13-2008, 04:15 PM
No, and he's not funny either.

I don't expect YOU to think he's pretty. He still is.

And, mighty_darknut, I don't want to put you on ignore... but keep this up, and I will.

Okay, since you threatened me so nicely… =[

http://www.seedmagazine.com/news/uploads/tree_genome3.jpg

/random picture that won't upset anybody

Beldaran
10-13-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm upset by it! I hate impressionist crap! RWARRR!

Breaker
10-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Hooray, new page.

You know, you can change the amount of posts a page can view at the bottom right corner, so for some people this is NOT the newest page. Which is how it's just spam announcing something like that.

aces2022
10-14-2008, 02:26 AM
Somebody draw me a world to live in. Just one condition. It has to have robots as hobos so I can eat my ham sandwhich.

The_Amaster
10-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Hmm, robot hobos, eh?
*goes off to scribble on his diabolical drawing board*

ShadowTiger
10-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Happy Birthday, Beldaran! Assuming it is indeed your birthday. May it be a grand one indeed. ^^,

Beldaran
10-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks ST =)

Yeah, it's really my birthday. Ho Hum. Gotta do nothing but homework today.

Russ
10-15-2008, 02:22 PM
What we have here is an ad hominem attack. Rather than arguing against the material I post, you attack my religion. A very childish thing to do.

Anyways, everybody keeps saying I've been misinformed, and that my source was too biased. Has it ever occured to you that maybe your sources were biased too?

Beldaran
10-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Yeah, devices that measure brain activity are so biased.

I'm not "attacking your religion". I'm pointing out that you tend take strangers at their word with no evidence, and therefore have no intellectual credibility.

rock_nog
10-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Obviously, it's possible, but let's see what our sources are. We've got diagnosis of PVS from a team of medical doctors. We've got a court ruling based on said diagnosis. And we've got an autopsy which supported the earlier medical diagnosis. What reason do I have to believe they were all deliberately manipulating the facts? Vs. one lawyer who was paid specifically to demonstrate that Terri Schiavo was alive. What reason do we have to take the lawyer's word, in the given circumstances? Why is his testimony so much more credible than everyone else's?

The_Amaster
10-15-2008, 03:06 PM
...Okay, I swear, I'm getting, like, retroactive spam mail or something. Threaded backwards through time.
Seriously, I check my mail at 2:00, right. No new messages. I check it at 2:03, and I have one new message, a spam mail, received at 11:53. So it's been there for hours, it just wasn't there for hours a few minutes ago.
*insert twilight zone theme*

Pryme8
10-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Somebody draw me a world to live in. Just one condition. It has to have robots as hobos so I can eat my ham sandwhich.

does it have cheese on it?

Shazza Dani
10-15-2008, 04:18 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/tdrisko/1224101662125.jpg

erm2003
10-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Hey happy birthday Bel.

Now to take a well deserved nap after a couple long days...

Pineconn
10-15-2008, 11:10 PM
I didn't watch the final debate, but I heard from someone that "Barack got spanked tonight" (Kendall, n.pag.). Is this true in anyone else's opinion?

Works Cited

Kendall, C. AIM conversation. 15 Oct 2008.

(:shrug: Lol. I'm writing a research paper right now.)

rock_nog
10-15-2008, 11:18 PM
I dunno, I found the debate too friggin' boring to follow - it didn't really seem there was much to be said that hadn't been said before. Plus, there was the drinking game I invented, which basically consisted of "drink whenever either one of them is running their goddamn trap," which ended up making things even harder to follow.

MasterSwordUltima
10-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Para sailing. I get it. Oh snap, Firefox's autospell-check thing had two words available, [Para Sailing] and [Paras Ailing]

wtf?

rock_nog
10-16-2008, 01:51 PM
LMAO this kid has truly epic ninja skills.

http://candleinthefoof.ytmnd.com/

phattonez
10-16-2008, 02:50 PM
I was at the Dodger game last night (in a booth with free tickets, which is awesome in some ways), but I couldn't believe how many people were there WATCHING THE DEBATE! I get tickets for the suite every once in a while, but I hate going because the people there just want to talk and don't want to watch the game. I want to be with the people, cheering on my team. It's impossible for me to get excited in there.

Anyway, alphadawg, if you're there, I hate Shane Victorino now, and I really hope that the Rays sweep you guys. That team was an embarrassment to the NL. Throwing at all of our players and then throwing a hissy fit when ONE PITCHER throws back.

Modus Ponens
10-16-2008, 03:34 PM

Dude! That was awesome. I laughed pretty hard at that.

Shazza Dani
10-16-2008, 05:58 PM

Was that music from Mortal Kombat?

BlissUnknown
10-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Don't hate. Appreciate.:reading:

aces2022
10-17-2008, 04:25 AM
does it have cheese on it?

Only the Pepper Jack kind. What kind of Ham sandwhich doesn't have cheese? I thought that was a given.

ShadowTiger
10-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Lately, my entire family has been held hopelessly at the whim and mercy, not to mention the beck and call, of these.

http://www.taquitos.net/im/sn/utzpuffincorn.jpg (http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?snack_code=1189) We buy bag after bag after bag, and they don't even last half an hour after opening. It's entirely absurd. What is it about these heavenly morsels that makes them so repeatedly edible?

rock_nog
10-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Repeatedly edible? Okay, my mind went to a scary place there.

ShadowTiger
10-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Once you pop, you just can't STOP :scared: SEND HELP. The floor is covered in them and there are some duct-taped to the walls. Good lord WHY...

... lol but seriously, do try them. They're really very good. Get them from a dollar store.

The_Amaster
10-17-2008, 06:30 PM
*gasp* Oh no. An hour before, ST was warning us about how his whole family was under their control, and now...now he's advocating that we try them too.

They got him, they got his MIND!

ZTC
10-18-2008, 02:59 AM
Never heard of em before. :shrug:

...I've got a girlfriend now :o

The_Amaster
10-18-2008, 08:10 PM
...o-kayyy
I walk out of my friends house, right? And this neighbor kid, about 8, says "Hey, your car is red."
..."Nooo, it's not" (I don't have a car)
"Yes it is"
"No, no it's not"
"Yes, it is, it's red."
"I don't have a red car"
"You want all my money?"
"...:"
...wait...what?

I think he wanted to say "You wanna bet", but it was funny all the same.

Russ
10-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Wow. Kind of strange.

On a side note, Mother 3 is without a doubt the best RPG game ever. Comedy, Tragedy, and video game wrapped into one. If you want a good RPG game, get it!

Shazza Dani
10-18-2008, 08:31 PM
…In other news: Mother 3 sucks. O:>

Russ
10-18-2008, 11:16 PM
In other news: How the heck can you say that!? It's an amazing game, and now is my favorite RPG.

phattonez
10-18-2008, 11:18 PM
They didn't call it Earthbound 2?

erm2003
10-19-2008, 01:24 AM
Earthbound was the name given when they decided to release Mother 2 here. So this is the squeal to that, but it's the 3rd game in the original series. The first game was never released here.

Russ
10-19-2008, 01:31 AM
For that matter, Mother 3 wasn't released here either. Why is it that we can only get 1/3 of the Mother games in English without hacking the roms of them?

Although, Mother 3 was definitely worth the wait. It's such an amazing game.

erm2003
10-19-2008, 01:34 AM
I am guessing that the Mother series has more of a cult following here in the US and not enough sales to merit bringing the other two over. A pity really, especially since the characters are well known through other means like Smash Bros.

phattonez
10-19-2008, 01:40 AM
Earthbound was the name given when they decided to release Mother 2 here. So this is the squeal to that, but it's the 3rd game in the original series. The first game was never released here.
I just figured that if he was playing Mother 3 that he was playing an English translation so they would have called it Earthbound 2.

Russ
10-19-2008, 02:45 PM
I just figured that if he was playing Mother 3 that he was playing an English translation so they would have called it Earthbound 2.
I was guessing it would be called EarthBound 2 also. But, I guess I was wrong.

I am guessing that the Mother series has more of a cult following here in the US and not enough sales to merit bringing the other two over. A pity really, especially since the characters are well known through other means like Smash Bros.
I know. I'm actually quite surprised Nintendo hasn't made an EarthBound game for the Wii yet, given that now everybody knows about at least Ness, Lucas, Jeff, and Porky through Smash Bros Brawl.

erm2003
10-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Oh I would anticipate at least Earthbound (maybe even the others in the series) to make their way to the VC soon. I am hoping the VC starts to house more of these games since they don't have to deal with the higher costs of producing a cartridge and shipping the games, etc. The entire Mother series would be an incredible add on. Nintendo has already made some Japan-exclusive games on the VC so why not Mother? Only time will tell I suppose.

Shazza Dani
10-21-2008, 08:51 AM
…He told me
Let the children lose it
Let the children use it
Let all the children boogie…

http://www.musictimes.com.au/images/david-bowie1.jpg

BlissUnknown
10-21-2008, 11:55 AM
He's so....

odd.

Mighty_darknut, what's that quote you have there? Do you want bowel cancer or is that something someone else said? I've seen patients with bowel cancer, and it's very painful for them, and even more painful for their families. It's not something that you should want. Those of us who don't have it should consider ourselves lucky :uhoh:

phattonez
10-21-2008, 03:09 PM
What's with the smilies in your sig. What are they for?

BlissUnknown
10-21-2008, 03:20 PM
They're there because they're odd, too. Just. Like. Me.

rock_nog
10-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Man I love the smell of science in the morning. Okay, not so much this morning - dead leaves rotting in water smells terrible, but figuratively. And sure, measuring the phosphorous levels of 13 different samples of lake water was a pain in the butt, but there's nothing like designing and carrying out a scientific experiment, and actually getting results.

Anthus
10-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Quick question...

Swedish Version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHBUcnIW_Oc&feature=related) | English Version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WnDTLhjhv4)

Beldaran
10-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Quick question...

Swedish Version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHBUcnIW_Oc&feature=related) | English Version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WnDTLhjhv4)

Is there a third option where I stick a dirty fork in my eye? Because I think I'd prefer that.

Shazza Dani
10-23-2008, 09:46 PM
The english version sucks, obviously. I pefer to listen to foreign songs in their original language, even if I don't understand the words. …The one exception possibly being the song "We Are" from One Piece. I really like the english version of that.

Anthus
10-23-2008, 10:49 PM
Secon'd.

Yeah, Swedish is better. I wouldn't go as far as to say the English 'sucks' but it is not as awesome as the Swedish. My favorite part is the "o-o-o-o-oa" part :D I have no idea why, but I really like the way it sounds.

Shazza Dani
10-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I guess I use the term "sucks" very loosely; I say stuff sucks all the time, regardless of how bad it actually is. >.>

Anthus
10-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Is there a third option where I stick a dirty fork in my eye? Because I think I'd prefer that.

If you have the ability to edit posts, a dirty fork, and a spare eye, sure, go ahead.

Pineconn
10-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Thought for the day:

To all of you "eye for an eye" people: How exactly would we go about doing this in the case of rape? ;)

Shazza Dani
10-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Thought for the day:

To all of you "eye for an eye" people: How exactly would we go about doing this in the case of rape? ;)

Stick a penis in the offender's eye?

Beldaran
10-24-2008, 12:24 AM
Thought for the day:

Build a robot that is programmed to rape people.

Anthus
10-24-2008, 12:45 AM
For that matter, Mother 3 wasn't released here either. Why is it that we can only get 1/3 of the Mother games in English without hacking the roms of them?

Although, Mother 3 was definitely worth the wait. It's such an amazing game.

Fun Fact: Mother was translated officially into English. Yep, NOA had a full, complete translation. The game was canned at the last minute because of marketing issues pushing the game's release into 1991. By this time, NOA felt that it would have been unprofitable to release this now-dated game with the cost of cartridges and all. Mother was canned. It was even called "Earthbound". Some people supposedly raised enough money to by a beta cart from eBay, and dumped onto the net. The dumped ROM required some tweaking since it was all old and pirated and shit.

Mother 2 was released here. Despite having a strong add campaign, the game did poorly. America simply wasn't ready for Earthbound. Witch was dumb since it was like Dragon Quest but with a modern setting. So, When Mother 3 rolls around, they are like, "Fuck that! This series has brought nothing but complications and loss." Therefore, good ol' Reggie blocked it hard.

The end.

You simply can't rape the willing to be. Man or machine.

Beldaran
10-24-2008, 01:04 AM
You simply can't rape the willing to be.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but I really don't understand this sentence. Can you clarify?

Anthus
10-24-2008, 01:08 AM
Me either :P

I dunno what I was thinking when I typed it, but I meant to say something along the lines of: "Someone willing to rape somebody probably wouldn't be too terribly opposed to some surprise sex of their own." More specifically, "You can't rape the willing to be raped"

o-o

I hope I clarified it.

Russ
10-24-2008, 01:22 AM
New subject: Woman arrested for murdering hew X-husband in a video game! http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/online-divorcee-jailed-after-killing-virtual-hubby/1259111

Anthus
10-24-2008, 02:22 AM
Wow. Ok.

There are so many things wrong with this picture. I don't understand what they mean by "kill". I wonder if the mean she deleted his character, or if she went and let him die repeatedly (in MS, you lose a chunk of EXP if you die, BTW). But man, either way, this is redunk.

Modus Ponens
10-24-2008, 02:57 AM

Why is it that you always seem to suggest that I do what I'm already doing?

Shazza Dani
10-24-2008, 03:44 AM
Wow. Ok.

There are so many things wrong with this picture. I don't understand what they mean by "kill". I wonder if the mean she deleted his character, or if she went and let him die repeatedly (in MS, you lose a chunk of EXP if you die, BTW). But man, either way, this is redunk.

She deleted it. I read it from a different source.

The_Amaster
10-24-2008, 07:09 AM
*yawn* Okayyy, yet another freaky dream. Getting tired of these.
In this one I just got a new game. The theme?
Five words: Dora the Explorer survival horror.
It was weeeeeird.

*looks at posts above him*
Man...that's just messed up. How far will we let our entertainment take over into our lives?

g.iaroos
10-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Thought for the day:

He'll get what he deserves once in jail.

Russ
10-24-2008, 12:03 PM
You know, I think I'm playing Mother 3 too much. It's invading my dreams. And trust me, Mother 3 is not the kind of game you want to dream about living in. Trying to convince a bunch of idiots that they're being fooled isn't easy. Just like what's happening with Obama. *Shot*

phattonez
10-24-2008, 12:05 PM
You know, I think I'm playing Mother 3 too much. It's invading my dreams. And trust me, Mother 3 is not the kind of game you want to dream about living in. Trying to convince a bunch of idiots that they're being fooled isn't easy. Just like what's happening with Obama. *Shot*
Try having dreams about Organic Chemistry. Now that's fun.

rock_nog
10-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Dreams about organic chemistry? Do I even want to know? I mean, what are we talking here - dreams of being eternally trapped in lecture, or dreams about being attacked by giant hydrocarbon molecules or something to that effect?

Russ
10-24-2008, 01:14 PM
How about dreams about being folded and scrunched up like a protein?

phattonez
10-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Dreams about carbon structures reacting and forming bonds. Basically seeing a reaction mechanism occur in my head. I also get pictures of resonance structures. In fact the other morning when I woke up, the only word I could think of was cytosine. I felt like Dexter.

omelette du fromage
omelette du fromage
omelette du fromage
omelette du fromage
omelette du fromage
omelette du fromage
omelette du fromage
omelette du fromage
omelette du fromage
omelette du fromage

rock_nog
10-24-2008, 01:43 PM
LMAO! Oh God, that's horrible. It's like when you play Tetris too much and end up dreaming about Tetris, but worse.

Russ
10-24-2008, 02:08 PM
LMAO! Oh God, that's horrible. It's like when you play Tetris too much and end up dreaming about Tetris, but worse.
Ya, I agree. Well, sort of. I like Organic Chemistry, so it would be neat for me.

But seriously, I think my dream was far worse than that. Do you have any idea what it's like to stand up to a (fictional) demagouge-wanna be?

phattonez
10-24-2008, 02:26 PM
I like o chem too, but I don't want to see it while I'm sleeping. And I think I would be more scared facing a new-age retro hippie.

Russ
10-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Ya. I'd be so scared being attacked by a guy with a toothbrush. :rolleyes:

Seriously, a muslim terrorist trying to bring civilization down. Doesn't get much better.

And now I'll stop raving about Mother 3/my Mother induced dreams.

The_Amaster
10-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Organic Chem is a lot of fun. AP Chem is actually kind of boring. I mean, Ag2CrO4 is nice, I guess, but nothing like the fun I had working with stuff like CH3-CH2-CO-CH-CH-C-OH

Shazza Dani
10-26-2008, 03:51 PM
You know what this thread needs?
http://blacktshirt.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/more-cowbell-tshirt.jpg

Din
10-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Fine, I'll go get my guitar and Saturday Night Live video...

*plays Don't Fear the Reaper*
*all glass in room explodes*

Okay, I think I DO need a little more cowbell... XD

The_Amaster
10-26-2008, 04:08 PM
For the homecoming assembly at my school, one of the candidates and his escort entered to Don't Fear the Reaper, with actual cowbells. They ran down the aisles banging and stuff. It was pretty funny.

My haunted house is finally finished *exhausted*. The Toy Store, Creepy Doll Room, Fairy Forest, and Cannabilistic Classroom are all up, as are the checkerboard hall, the polkadot hall, the room of chains, and the narrow "the door closes behind you and you're trapped" corridor. And one of our advisors says he knows how to hang someone safely so they look like they've been hung. This little 87lb girl volunteered, and we've got some great stuff planned for her.
*sigh* We open Wendsday. Can't wait, can't wait.

Russ
10-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Don't forget the picture you promised us. ;)

rock_nog
10-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Oh, Christopher Walken, how we love you. Seriously, he and Tim Curry = best voices in all of acting.

Din
10-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Fairy Forest? Ooh, I have a feeling there's going to be something suddenly very gruesome in there.

It's like how I pictured a horror version of It's a small world after all in Disneyland. All the young children are laughing, then suddenly, a huge log ride dip! It goes down and down, as you see a frame by frame version of the dolls catching on fire. Then you finally reach the bottom, only to be told that they forgot something, and you have to be launched back up at full speed. Heh, I'd like to see the kids and their parents after THAT ride!

EDIT: Post 300!

The_Amaster
10-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Yeah, don't worry Russ, I'll be sure to get pictures this week when we're open. I wasn't able to get any of the build, because of the atrocious lighting for photos we have in the auditorium.

Wow, Din, that would be the best Kid's ride ever.

rock_nog
10-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Heh, that reminds me - one of my goals in life is to obtain a Willy Wonka outfit and ride the light rail out to the Mall of America. See, the light rail goes to the airport on the way there, and it passes through a long tunnel - I so just want to sit there on the train in my Willy Wonka outfit and start reciting the Willy Wonka tunnel song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zail7Gdqro

Aegix Drakan
10-26-2008, 08:52 PM
And one of our advisors says he knows how to hang someone safely so they look like they've been hung. This little 87lb girl volunteered, and we've got some great stuff planned for her.

Oh, you'd better freakin make sure they know what they're doing... Not that I dont' trust you and your advisor, but... >_> This is one case where you really don't want to have a mishap...

I'll tell ya, something a haunted house does NOT need is a real body. ...or zombies. Those are pretty bad to have around too.

Shazza Dani
10-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Oh, Christopher Walken, how we love you. Seriously, he and Tim Curry = best voices in all of acting.

You can't leave out James Earl Jones!! Darth Vader and Mufasa?!?!

The_Amaster
10-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Oh, you'd better freakin make sure they know what they're doing... Not that I dont' trust you and your advisor, but... >_> This is one case where you really don't want to have a mishap...
No, yeah, he explained it and it's perfectly safe. Basically you run a metal pole behind them, and they loop their arms around it, and hang in dead-mans position. The noose isn't even connected to anything, it's like a necklace. And it's uncomfortable for long times, but we'll have a step-ladder that can be pushed under her so she can rest when it's slow.

phattonez
10-26-2008, 11:09 PM
So this is great. Apparently, my physics prof assigns homework which pretty much requires multivariable calculus. But guess how much of that I've done. So trying to use it when all I can do is stare at it kind of annoys me, especially since multivariable calc wasn't a pre-req for this class.

Aegix Drakan
10-28-2008, 08:07 AM
argh....what the hell.

In an effort to finally do some kind of exersize, I did a bunch of push ups and shit on sunday night. Ironically, I wake up on monday with mid-lower back pain. ...I was able to work more or less OK yesterday, and this morning I felt a bit better.

...one bumpy bus ride nap later, and it's freaking worse than yesterday. I'm leaving work at lunch to go home and put a hot pad on it.

...and of course, my clinic only accepts walk-ins on wednesday.

...What the hell. Why is my luck going from pretty good, to absolutely abysmal? So much annoying shit is happening to me!

Prrkitty
10-28-2008, 02:54 PM
...one bumpy bus ride nap later, and it's freaking worse than yesterday. I'm leaving work at lunch to go home and put a hot pad on it.

If you can (and it's not contradictory to anything you are already taking/conditions you have/etc) - take some advil (it will help with the muscle swelling and help relax 'em (the muscles)).

Then take a hot bath (which is moist heat)... as warm/hot as you can handle it and as deep as the tub will allow (you kinda want to be like in a hot tub)... relax for 15-25 minutes. Be careful with the heat though... it makes the heart race so if you feel it (racing) too strong - get out.

Then (of course after you're outa the tub, all dried off and dressed) use the heating pad. Don't put the pad right onto your bare skin... use a towel or your clothes as a barrier. Medium to high heat (be careful of how long you use the high heat - you can burn your skin).

And yeah... I know a lot of what to do for bad backs... I have a very bad one. :(

Good luck hon... :)

phattonez
10-28-2008, 03:18 PM
You know what this thread needs?
http://blacktshirt.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/more-cowbell-tshirt.jpg

This one is really a girl?

rock_nog
10-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Watch out, phattonez!

http://itsatrap.ytmnd.com/

Icey
10-28-2008, 06:07 PM
So this is great. Apparently, my physics prof assigns homework which pretty much requires multivariable calculus. But guess how much of that I've done. So trying to use it when all I can do is stare at it kind of annoys me, especially since multivariable calc wasn't a pre-req for this class.

You can teach yourself partial differentiation in about 3 seconds and vector derivatives in like 5 minutes maybe. As far as integration though, if you haven't learned how to do that... that blows.

rock_nog
10-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Dang, I hate that when profs go overboard in terms of teaching based on things they expect you to know but weren't listed as pre-reqs. I took an intro Chemistry class once where it seemed like college-level chemistry was a pre-req. Or there was that Spanish class I took in high school where apparently speaking Spanish was a prerequisite for the class - I swear, by the end of the year, we were all on the verge of revolting and overthrowing that teacher because we were so frickin' sick of her not actually teaching us anything.

phattonez
10-28-2008, 08:00 PM
You can teach yourself partial differentiation in about 3 seconds and vector derivatives in like 5 minutes maybe. As far as integration though, if you haven't learned how to do that... that blows.
Yeah, I did eventually figure out that partial derivatives are insanely easy. Haven't looked up vector derivatives. I'm going to OH tomorrow to see if I really need to do complicated derivatives.

Aegix Drakan
10-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Good luck hon... :)

Thanks a bunch Prr!

It worked out in the end.

Since my job involves me sitting around all day, My pain eventually left by lunch, and I ended up staying the whole day.

My back is feeling much much better. Not perfect, but better. And I got my hot pad, finally. ^_^ It feels gooooood.

Good luck with your back too.

@ that pic: ....let's play NAAAAAAMe that FLASH! I am your host, Aegix Drakan, and tonights question iiiiis.... "In which Newgrounds flash did someone say 'I'm on fire, and the only thing that'll put me out, is more cowbell.' ?"

Winners will get a cookie.

Russ
10-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Okay, this is pretty sad.

My homeschool coop today was celebrating Halloween. They said to dress up in a costume today. So I (obviously) thought ness would be an easy costume and I decided to go as Ness. I found tha I have jean shorts, not striped shirts, not even a baseball cap, and I spent 20 minutes looking for a backpack. Sad.

Aegix Drakan
10-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Damn, that is just SAD.

The_Amaster
10-28-2008, 11:28 PM
Gah, I was brutally reminded of why I hate going to football games again tonight. I mean, footballs pretty cool, but being there sucks if it's literally freezing. Like, I left my free cup of water down for about ten minutes, and there were frost crystals on the cup.
And I didn't get to go home between school and the game, and I won't be going home at all tomorrow. (Like, seriously, at all. 6 in the morning till past midnight)
During today and tomorrow, I'll spend 36 out of 48 hours at school. Those twelve hours are pretty much 5 hours of sleep and an hour of misc stuff every day.
That's pretty sad.

Russ
10-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Damn, that is just SAD.
What, the fact that I don't even have a baseball cap, or the fact that I'm going as Ness? Both are sad in their own, unique ways. :)

Shazza Dani
10-29-2008, 12:41 AM
This one is really a girl?

Yes, as far as I know.

[hr]***

What, the fact that I don't even have a baseball cap, or the fact that I'm going as Ness? Both are sad in their own, unique ways. :)

Dressing as Ness is very sad*; not owning a baseball cap is commendable. Baseball caps suck.

*Actually, cosplay is cool**, so there's nothing wrong with dressing as Ness.

**Unless you weigh OVER 9000 lbs.

***Horizontal dividers don't work on this forum.

Russ
10-29-2008, 01:34 AM
Baseball caps suck.

Agreed. My brother wears one all the time. It gets pretty annoying.

Icey
10-29-2008, 02:48 AM
Yeah, I did eventually figure out that partial derivatives are insanely easy. Haven't looked up vector derivatives. I'm going to OH tomorrow to see if I really need to do complicated derivatives.

At the most basic level, if you have a vector x = <a, b, c> where a thru c are functions (like x, x^2, etc) then the x' = <a', b', c'>. There's more to it in certain cases, but that's a basic idea of how easy it is... you should borrow someone's Stewart text or the Rogawski multivariable calc book if you need vector calculus.

Beldaran
10-29-2008, 02:53 AM
"Multi-variable calculus" sounds so awesome and hard, but it turned out to be my easiest class that semester.

Icey
10-29-2008, 03:07 AM
Yeah, like I said, you really don't need a class or even a lot of time to learn it...

I'm taking linear algebra next quarter, I hear that's actually conceptually interesting, but also quite easy.

rock_nog
10-29-2008, 10:10 AM
So, Halloween's rapidly approaching - anyone got any plans? Myself, I'd like to reach back to its harvest-celebration roots... But alas, I have nothing to harvest. Stupid modern world and all its stupid modern conveniences.

Russ
10-29-2008, 10:30 AM
I think I'll go from church to church and see how many of them actually celebrat Halloween! :tongue: Seriously, it seems like some churches lover Halloween, and other think it's as bad as worshiping the devil. Such controversy of such a harmless little holiday.

rock_nog
10-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Bah - I know some people get upset over the Pagan origins of Halloween, but it's really ridiculous. Christianity on the whole is an amalgamation of various religions - ancient Judaism mixed with Greek philosophy, influenced by Roman mythology, and later shaped by Pagan European traditions. I mean, if you're gonna throw out Halloween, you'd better be prepared to toss out Christmas and Easter, too, because they both were heavily influenced by Pagan beliefs.

Pryme8
10-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Halloween is a reason for people to spend money...
now if we celebrated Samhain I could see people complain about it...
but Halloween is our invention! they just want something to bitch about~

Russ
10-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Bah - I know some people get upset over the Pagan origins of Halloween, but it's really ridiculous. Christianity on the whole is an amalgamation of various religions - ancient Judaism mixed with Greek philosophy, influenced by Roman mythology, and later shaped by Pagan European traditions. I mean, if you're gonna throw out Halloween, you'd better be prepared to toss out Christmas and Easter, too, because they both were heavily influenced by Pagan beliefs.
Ya, I agree. Most of the Christian holidays were made by mixing Christian beliefs with pagan traditions. Halloween just didn't take off as well, I guess.

Pryme8
10-29-2008, 11:59 AM
yea you dont hear people complaining about how pagen Christmas is... and if you ask me we took tons of traditions from them...the colors, the idea of presents under the tree giving instead of receiving, Santa clause (in a way)

Pineconn
10-29-2008, 05:01 PM

Ugh. This reminds me of Beowulf, which is what we spent a majority of the time in the first quarter of English working on.

Russ
10-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Ugh. This reminds me of Beowulf, which is what we spent a majority of the time in the first quarter of English working on.
I read that book this year. I loved it! It kept me entertained until the end. I'm assuming you didn't like it so much.

Pineconn
10-29-2008, 08:46 PM
I did... it's just we were worked and worked and worked and worked... I never want to read text from it again. :p

Russ
10-29-2008, 10:44 PM
"And when Beowulf needed him most, Wiglaf showed his courage, his strength and skill, and the boldness he was born with. Ignoring the dragon's head, he helped his lord by striking lower down."

:D

rock_nog
10-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Son of a crap, my lappy just died. I have no idea what happened, but now if I turn it on, it'll boot up for a few seconds before randomly just completely shutting off. Ugh. Thank God for my Wii - without the Internet channel, I'd probably be going insane right now.

Anthus
10-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Maybe the thing uses to charge it came unsoldered on the inside. I've heard this happening with various laptops, and it happens if you keep it plugged in, and move it around a lot.

rock_nog
10-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Crap! I keep my laptop plugged in, and I move it around alot. Bah, I'd have preferred a desktop, but it was a gift. Well, it seems to have stabilized for now, anyway.

phattonez
10-30-2008, 10:20 PM
It's always great to have a laptop when the power goes out. Desktops don't have the convenience of being able to stay on without juice . . . for now.

Modus Ponens
10-30-2008, 10:43 PM
You could always get a UPS.

EDIT: Two seconds of research into the topic of UPSes reveals that they only can provide your computer with power for like twenty minutes while you either shut down or switch to an auxiliary source like a generator, and are primarily intended to avoid data loss in the event of a sudden power outage. So... there you go.

aces2022
10-30-2008, 10:51 PM
That does sound like an awesom idea....if your power goes out constantly. If not, kinda pointless.

The_Amaster
10-31-2008, 01:33 AM
Well, it depends on how sensitive your computer is, and how much data you might lose if it crashes suddenly. I've had to pull the plug on both my Mac and my PC many times, and I've never noticed any real data loss.

Russ
10-31-2008, 01:31 PM
OK, changing subject. My mom is dressing as Sarah Palin for Halloween. Should be interesting...

The_Amaster
10-31-2008, 02:55 PM
My mom is dressing as Sarah Palin for Halloween.

...o_0

...what?

Russ
10-31-2008, 03:44 PM
...o_0

...what?
She just thought it would be fun to do. It's not that strange.

Icey
10-31-2008, 03:48 PM
She better get some kind of the "most terrifying costume" award...

aces2022
10-31-2008, 11:52 PM
Every time I hear Sarah Palin I think about that Parah Salin poster. So what did everyone dress up as?

Shazza Dani
11-01-2008, 04:48 AM
I've heard of two other people dressing as Sarah Palin, and my friend said she saw a little kid dressed as Obama.

The Desperado
11-01-2008, 03:24 PM
A friend of mine dressed up as President Dennis Kucinich. Now thats terrifying.

rock_nog
11-01-2008, 04:00 PM
LOL. Oh, poor Kucinich - even if he had the best strategy in the world, he'd still lose because no one's going to vote for someone who looks like an elf.

The Desperado
11-01-2008, 04:42 PM
LOL. Oh, poor Kucinich - even if he had the best strategy in the world, he'd still lose because no one's going to vote for someone who looks like an elf.

Or someone who openly admits to being visited by aliens.

rock_nog
11-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Or someone who openly admits to being visited by aliens.
Frankly, I'm not convinced he's not one of them.

The_Amaster
11-01-2008, 06:04 PM
A friend of mine ha a fat suit and a Cheney mask. It was scary...

phattonez
11-03-2008, 01:36 PM
You know what's always bugged me? The part of science fiction movies where the good guys destroy the bad guys' big ship with a single attack. I mean, why do all of these things have these weak points that just destroy the whole thing? In Independence Day, it was the primary weapon; in Star Wars it was the exhaust (or whatever that was). How can these things be so vulnerable that a well placed bomb in the right place just completely annihilates everything?

MasterSwordUltima
11-03-2008, 01:44 PM
You know what's always bugged me? The part of science fiction movies where the good guys destroy the bad guys' big ship with a single attack. I mean, why do all of these things have these weak points that just destroy the whole thing? In Independence Day, it was the primary weapon; in Star Wars it was the exhaust (or whatever that was). How can these things be so vulnerable that a well placed bomb in the right place just completely annihilates everything?

There is a spot on the human head, and if you shoot it, the head with explode.

rock_nog
11-03-2008, 01:58 PM
You're right, that is baffling. I mean, I've always thought it'd make sense that say, a single bomb could disable one of those ships - after all, for instance, the entire point of the Death Star is the superlaser - a hit to a critical system of the superlaser would easily disable the laser, and thus, render the Death Star useless, but really, the entire thing blowing up because of an exhaust port?

Not to mention - the Rebels found the weakness on the Death Star so easily, why didn't Imperial engineers? All you'd need is a metal plate or something in front of it to keep missiles out.

Russ
11-03-2008, 02:00 PM
These movies are made by the same people that have giant explosions in space. In space, there's no oxygen to support the explosion. They haven't taken a science class for decades, so they are bound to put stupid things like explosion points and fireballs in space into their movies. Simple as that.

rock_nog
11-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Well, then again, the Death Star was the size of a small moon - there was probably plenty of oxygen on-board to make some pretty fireworks.

Russ
11-03-2008, 02:40 PM
The Death Star's explosions might have been warrented, but all the other Star Wars explosions aren't.

Beldaran
11-03-2008, 04:24 PM
The Death Star's explosions might have been warrented, but all the other Star Wars explosions aren't.

Are you so familiar with the physics and engineering principles behind the reactor cores of starfighter engines that you can say with certainty that they would not explode?

Explosions or not, the most fake thing is the sound.

phattonez
11-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Not to mention - the Rebels found the weakness on the Death Star so easily, why didn't Imperial engineers? All you'd need is a metal plate or something in front of it to keep missiles out.

A metal plate in front of an exhaust pipe. Let me go get my car and try it out.

rock_nog
11-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Not sealing the exhaust port, merely blocking it from missiles. Like this.

-----]OOO|
OOOOOOO|
-----]OOO|

See, there is plenty of distance between the port and the plate to allow the port to do its job. However, you're gonna have a helluva time getting a missile in there. All you really have to do is prevent a direct shot.

EDIT: The Os represent empty space.

phattonez
11-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Yes, I know what you meant, but then I wouldn't have been able to make a joke about it.

Also, I don't know just how well such a plate would have been able to cover it up. I mean, you still need good efficiency, so the plate would have to be a pretty good distance away. Would a shot still be possible?

But this detracts from the main topic. How can 1 proton torpedo destroy the entire Death Star? How can you have one spot on such a giant ship that will destroy the entire ship?

Beldaran
11-03-2008, 05:22 PM
How can you have one spot on such a giant ship that will destroy the entire ship?

Try dropping an M80 into the gas tank of an M1 Abrams Battle Tank. You'll quickly see how a small bit of munitions can destroy a large combat vessel given the correct placement.

rock_nog
11-03-2008, 05:24 PM
I thought about that, but I think it has to be a direct hit - you could hit the port at an angle, but the proton torpedo needs to go all the way down the shaft - firing at an angle would cause the torpedo to collide with the shaft wall and prematurely detonate.

Also, I think the shaft led directly to the reactor core. I confess I'm not an expert on Star Wars technology, but I can imagine a scenario where that might lead to the ship exploding. For instance, if the reactor operated on matter/antimatter reactions, an explosion could disrupt the antimatter containment field, and given the amount of antimatter that would be necessary to power such a large ship, it could probably easily destroy it.

Pineconn
11-03-2008, 05:35 PM
This conversation is way too intelligent. Therefore:

I heard that the last 17 times the Steelers have played the Redskins, it was right before a presidential election. Every time the Steelers won, a Democrat won, and when the Redskins won, a Republican won.

I don't know if this is true, but it's pretty interesting nonetheless.

Beldaran
11-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Also, I think the shaft led directly to the reactor core. I confess I'm not an expert on Star Wars technology, but I can imagine a scenario where that might lead to the ship exploding. For instance, if the reactor operated on matter/antimatter reactions, an explosion could disrupt the antimatter containment field, and given the amount of antimatter that would be necessary to power such a large ship, it could probably easily destroy it.

Or perhaps more trivially, the blast merely collapsed the exhaust port, causing the reactor component that emitted the exhaust to overload and explode, which set off the "chain reaction" that they spoke of in the briefing.

Modus Ponens
11-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Two things:

1. Chain reaction! Yes. That's right. The shaft doesn't go all the way down to the reactor core, it just goes down to something sensitive which can destroy something else sensitive, and so on.

I thought about that, but I think it has to be a direct hit - you could hit the port at an angle, but the proton torpedo needs to go all the way down the shaft - firing at an angle would cause the torpedo to collide with the shaft wall and prematurely detonate.

In the movie, you see that the shot basically flies perpendicular to the surface of the Death Star for quite a distance before suddenly dropping straight down into the exhaust shaft. If the torpedo were following a ballistic motion curve, then that would be completely ridiculous. Thus, in an effort to rationalize what's already present (like so many humans defending beloved science fiction material), let's just say that since we've established that it is a torpedo, which implies that it has some internal means of propulsion, perhaps once it is carefully and properly targeted to the opening of the exhaust shaft, it automatically changes its trajectory to go straight down into it.

The_Amaster
11-03-2008, 06:32 PM
...you know, how you contain antimatter anyway?
It can't be made of matter, unless you've got a way of making something solid without protons, neutrons, and electrons.
And what particle would repulse an antimatter particle as needed for a force field. For example, are there other positive particles besides Positrons that we could form a field out of? Another negative particle that would repulse Antiprotons?

rock_nog
11-03-2008, 06:43 PM
It can't be made of matter, unless you've got a way of making something solid without protons, neutrons, and electrons.
And what particle would repulse an antimatter particle as needed for a force field. For example, are there other positive particles besides Positrons that we could form a field out of? Another negative particle that would repulse Antiprotons?
Electromagnetic fields can be used to contain antimatter - I mean, a positron is just an electron with a positive charge, so a positively charged magnetic field could be used to contain it and prevent it from coming into contact with matter.

The_Amaster
11-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Wouldn't a positive electric field be composed of Positrons? How would you make a generator out of matter that could produce antimatter. Usually that entails some contact between the field and generator. Unless the positive electric charge from the nucleus is sufficient enough to repel Positrons away before they contact the outer electrons, which I doubt.

Beldaran
11-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Wouldn't a positive electric field be composed of Positrons?

Electric fields are not composed of anything. They are simply a mathematical construct representing the area of effect and strength of a positively charged particle. You can have an electric field in totally empty space.

Usually that entails some contact between the field and generator.

Fields cannot "contact" things. They can only influence them. You are not in contact with gravity, you are just experiencing the effects of Earth's gravitational field. Note that you do not have to be touching the Earth to feel its gravitational field.

The_Amaster
11-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Oh, right, right, the messenger particle for an electromagnetic field isn't electrons but photons. Sorry, forgot that for a sec there.

Although when you say "empty space" do you mean devoid of any particles at all, or just matter particles? Because without messenger particles there is no influence. Case in point; the Gluons in the nucleus.

Beldaran
11-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Although when you say "empty space" do you mean devoid of any particles at all, or just matter particles?

I meant only matter particles, like electrons and positrons. (er... matter and antimatter particles.)

I don't really know anything about messenger particles, so I have no idea how they'd interact in a matter/anti-matter situation.

MasterSwordUltima
11-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Am I the only one wondering why the lasers that come out of the weaponry move so damn slow?

Russ
11-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Wow, I laughed so hard when I read that. :)

This conversation is way too intelligent. Therefore:

I heard that the last 17 times the Steelers have played the Redskins, it was right before a presidential election. Every time the Steelers won, a Democrat won, and when the Redskins won, a Republican won.

I don't know if this is true, but it's pretty interesting nonetheless.
Wow. GO REDSKINS!

If you were to create a barier of electrons, wouldn't they repel the positrons of the antimatter, forming a "force field" of sorts?