PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth starting?

Rockstar
05-15-2007, 04:37 AM
Now I know I'm new around here but I decided to start making my quest, I've been tracking Zelda Classic for years now and up to today It just came to me to sign up to the forums.

Here is my question (if it's in the wrong section of the forums please move it accordingly), is alright for me to start making a quest now on version 2.10 or should I just hold off until the next major stable version is out? I've been debating this for the past 3 days and is it going to be worth waiting or will it take too long to wait for?

Thanks for the replies and I hope to be more active in these forums. :D

AmazingAmpharos
05-15-2007, 04:51 AM
I'd download the latest build and work with it, and then replace your current build with the new ones as they come out. You get a lot more features, and the builds really are far more stable than they sometimes get credit for. Just be sure to keep two folders. One should be your "main" one with your quest (and a back-up of course) and the last build that ran to your satisfaction. Have another for the newest build always, and don't upgrade your quest to it if you're dissatisfied with the bug level in it (every so often we get a really, really buggy build that's nearly unusable, and you wouldn't want to upgrade to it - usually this happens when we have to wait a long time for the next build). I suppose you could use whatever the most stabilized version of 2.10 is if you are really terrified of bugs or something, but I still heavily endorse the full use of the builds.

I haven't really been over the feature difference between 2.10 and 2.11b288, but I do know that b288 has a fairly in-depth item editor and an enemy editor, two things that 2.10 certainly doesn't have. There are certainly many other useful features that you gain from using the newest version as well.

Rockstar
05-15-2007, 04:57 AM
And where if I may ask can I get this b288? I might give this idea of yours a shot making 2 folders and whatnot.

Also thanks for your help, much oblige.

Gleeok
05-15-2007, 05:05 AM
You can get the latest build here
http://www.shardstorm.com/

erm2003
05-15-2007, 05:38 AM
You can also find the links in the box at the top of the Beta Discussion forums. You can track the version numbers there to see if a new build has been released.

Nicholas Steel
05-15-2007, 06:34 AM

this IS that link you speak of erm2003.

C-Dawg
05-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Use the latest build. But take the warnings to heart - BACKUP EVERY DAY. The betas are prone to crash every so often and can fuck up your quest.

Other than that, you will occasionally get screwed when _L_ changes the functionality of certain cutting-edge elements, but he's been responsive about eventually adding backwards compatability into newer updates so far.

Scripting alone is worth using later betas. Amazing.

erm2003
05-15-2007, 08:33 PM

this IS that link you speak of erm2003.

I know that. I am just giving another location to find it for when this thread gets buried.

Gleeok
05-15-2007, 10:40 PM
If your starting a new quest from scratch, I say go for it. there is minimal risk.
Just make a backup each day you work on it, and put the date and ZQ build #
in the title. I find that keeps things nice and organized. good luck;P

Rockstar
05-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the support guys, I'm taking this as a hobby, I wanted to write a story as a hobby I figure I do it in a quest form. Busy at the office here and whatnot bearly have time (2 - 3 hours) to work on it each day, every time I save this I'll upload it to my ftp so I can work on it at the office.

To show how long ago I used Zelda Classic it was back then when this Alpha Dawg guy was around and we were limited to 15 (i forgot but it was low) or so sprite sheets, now this unholy thing is over 200 and you can layer trees and rain. O_O

Anyways thanks for the support, I'll keep people updated somehow.

p.s- All these updates and still no Roc's Feather, aw dang.

The_Amaster
05-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Actually, there is a Rocs Feather. :kawaii: And that's just the start. Trust me when I say that the new stuff is going to knock you dead.

Rockstar
05-17-2007, 08:02 AM
I've just noticed that, I made link get it but I don't know how to make him jump. Any ideas?

Luigi
05-17-2007, 09:48 AM
I've just noticed that, I made link get it but I don't know how to make him jump. Any ideas?

Are you using a custom subscreen? It's the only way to get the feather to display in the in-game subscreen, and therefore use it.

Rockstar
05-17-2007, 02:30 PM
I've added it, but I can't get it to work still. It won't let me select it. :shakeno:

Luigi
05-17-2007, 03:30 PM
I've added it, but I can't get it to work still. It won't let me select it. :shakeno:

Have you created an item Selector?