PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy IV DS Remake

Flash Man
05-09-2007, 07:28 PM
http://ds.ign.com/articles/786/786625p1.html

Final Fantasy IV DS
Another FF remake.
by IGN Staff
May 9, 2007 - With a million sales in Japan alone, it's safe to say that no one was expecting Square Enix's Final Fantasy remakes to end with Final Fantasy III. Sure enough, a few days prior to the start of the Square Enix Party, the company has revealed plans for a full remake of the next entry in the series, Final Fantasy IV.

Fully unveiled on the pages of the latest issue of Jump magazine, Final Fantasy IV makes the move to full 3D. We're not sure if it's necessarily using the exact same engine as that of FFIII, although the staff that developed FFIII are overseeing the FFIV conversion.

Square Enix has a few changes planned on top of the visual update. The game will feature new episodes, allowing players to get deeper acquainted with the storyline. Character designs have been completely redone for the title.

A release date has yet to be set for the DS version of FFIV, but we're expecting to see more of the title at the Square Enix Party this weekend. Be sure and check back here at IGNDS.

I tried the FFIII remake but I could not really get into it. This I totally could get into.

Plissken
05-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Holy crap that looks awesome. I loved 3 for the DS.

Thunderbird
05-09-2007, 08:35 PM
I wonder how much Square has made off of all these remakes. I have all of the GBA remakes and 3 for the DS. Not sure if I'd get this one or not.

DarkFlameWolf
05-09-2007, 09:03 PM
milking the cash cow.

MottZilla
05-09-2007, 09:57 PM
FF4 is easily the best of the series, lets hope they do a good job with a remake. Although personally I'd rather see FF4 remade on PS2 or PS3 and 360.

Orion
05-11-2007, 02:28 AM
Hm... wake me when they remake 6.

Either way, I've lost all respect for Square. It's been at least 5 years since they've put out a game an original game that I really enjoyed. They seem to be all about making money off of old games than creating any new properties. That and they refuse to do anything positive with the Mana series.

Square just takes themselves way too seriously.

Glenn the Great
05-11-2007, 03:06 AM
I'd be excited about this, but I don't want to buy a DS, and I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that if I were to play this, it's going to feel nothing like FF4. It'll probably be over-modernized, lacking the magical aura of the original.

I like FF4 how it is now, down to every last graphical detail and sound, because that's what got ingrained into my mind at the impressionable age of 8 when I first played through this game. It would be pretty damn hard to make the graphics and audio more modern while retaining that magical feel of an older time that makes the game meaningful to me.

Warlock
05-11-2007, 10:07 AM
You should get a DS regardless - DS is awesome :P

And I'd say FF III seemed like it did a pretty good job of replicating the feel of the original. Granted, I haven't specifically played FF III, but I've played the first two and it felt a lot like them so I'm assuming that's true :P

mrz84
05-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Pretty cool. Makes me wish I had a DS even more. :kitty:

Warlock
05-11-2007, 12:33 PM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2007/05/ffiv-comp-1.jpg
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2007/05/ffiv-comp-3.jpg
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2007/05/ffiv-comp-4.jpg
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2007/05/ffiv-comp-2.jpg

Dechipher
05-11-2007, 12:43 PM
That looks pretty awesome...

I just don't like the shadows.

Tygore
05-11-2007, 12:44 PM
I don't see why they don't just make FFVII DS and get it over with. Even sans cutscenes, it would literally create money.

Dechipher
05-11-2007, 12:47 PM
If they do that, they should remake it so it doesn't look as choppy, character-wise.

Cloral
05-11-2007, 01:30 PM
They should find a way to include Culex in this version of the game.

MottZilla
05-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Well it doesn't look terrible but I still wish they'd used PS2 or PS3&X360 for the remake. I suppose we'll have to wait for the next Final Fantasy 4 remake.

Brasel
05-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Looks cool. I saw that Square is remaking 1 and 2 for PSP as well. The graphics look similar to the previos rereleases, but a little more refined.

Mak-X
05-11-2007, 10:19 PM
I'd rather just play the PSone version of the SNES game game. FFIII DS seemed to have flashy camera changes when attacking that seemed to add more time to the battles than the Famicom game had, so I imagine this remake might be similar.

Orion
05-12-2007, 01:39 AM
Mott, I'd be willing to bet they'd remake it for the PSP before they remade it for a console.

KJAZZ
05-12-2007, 01:57 AM
Well, I heard about this the other day, and I was (am still am) shocked, to say the least. Although I guess I really shouldn't be surprised at all. Anyhow, even though VI is my favorite overall, IV is my second favorite, and I just hope that they don't ruin it. It could be great, as Glenn said, it'll probably lack the luster of the original.

That, and it'll won't look anything close to the incredibly successful Shattered Earth anymore. :evil:

EatinCake
05-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Another remake of FF4? I guess its easier to just remake the games than creating new ones, but I wish they would at least try to create new ones instead of just remaking old ones. I'm not to fond of a couple of the remakes though, namely the FF1 version. A couple of my friends asked why I thought the game was so difficult after playing it, and I discovered that they changed the leveling system, and made numerous changes to the classes making them better for the most part.

If I have a DS by the time this comes out though, I'll probably rent it for nostalgic reasons :D. Can't go wrong with any of the early Final Fantasys.

AtmaWeapon
05-12-2007, 01:16 PM
AAAAahhhhhhhh how many times am I going to buy/play through this game?

If they do that, they should remake it so it doesn't look as choppy, character-wise.I believe it's probably more a limitation of the DS hardware more than SquareEnix being lazy.

Orion
05-12-2007, 01:22 PM
So, not to stray too far off-topic here, but I just read some impressions of Final Fantasy Tactics for the DS. I was really looking forward to this game, and while it looks pretty, the decided NOT to include touch screen controls. Seriously. WTF? I may not buy the game simply because of that.

Warlock
05-12-2007, 07:49 PM
So, not to stray too far off-topic here, but I just read some impressions of Final Fantasy Tactics for the DS. I was really looking forward to this game, and while it looks pretty, the decided NOT to include touch screen controls. Seriously. WTF? I may not buy the game simply because of that.

That doesn't make sense.. it seems like the game is designed where that would actually be a hugely better control scheme for it.