PDA

View Full Version : Are you testing out the improved Item Editor? (it's fixed now!)

_L_
05-08-2007, 07:01 AM
To get you all started, here's how to create a new Hammer with damage equal to one Wooden Sword:

SETTING THE SPRITES:
* Select an unused Weapon/Misc entry. (Note: you should probably use a fairly high-numbered z###, in the event of future built-in weapons/items being added, which may overwrite your custom entry.)
* Assign it some Hammer tiles. This will be the "Hammer" sprite.
* Select another unused Weapon/Misc entry.
* Assign it some Hammer impact tiles. This will be the "Hammer smack" sprite.

MAKING THE ITEM:
* Select an unused item (Note: you should probably use a fairly high-numbered z### for much the same reason as above.)
* Set its Family to "Hammer."
* Set its Level to 1. (To make this Hammer appear on the subscreen in lieu of the default Hammer, you must increase the default Hammer's Level to 2 or so.)
* Set its Power to 1. (identical to the Wooden Sword)
* Click the GFX tab and set its subscreen tile.
* Click the Action tab, and set Weapon 1 to the "Hammer" sprite, and set Weapon 2 to the "Hammer smack" sprite.

Link can now use this weapon in your quest if he picks it up.

For further ideas consult this. (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=96935) P.S: Please don't touch any unassigned misc. flags and values, in case any further functionality is bound to them in future builds.

AmazingAmpharos
05-08-2007, 04:46 PM
http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97195

That pretty much explains why most probably never got anywhere on the editor. My attempts to create a ludicrisly short range Boomerang(Misc1: 1) ended with me having Wands and all sorts of scrolls which are clearly not Boomerangs. I don't think testing can really move past that, though I suppose I'll try anyway on account of the asking.

Okay, I managed to figure out that Arrow Ammo -> Boomerangs, and as such I got a working custom Boomerang. The distance thing seems to work well, though I find myself wishing I could alter the flight speed as well since having a constant speed makes longer Boomerangs a downgrade in some cases (Misc 2 in the future?). Also, power seems to work strangely. I can't ever kill things like blue Octoroks no matter how high I set power, and my power 30 Boomerang OHKO'd a 50 HP custom Keese. I suspect that this is more an issue with the enemy editor than with the item editor, but it's still a real inhibition on the flexibility of custom Boomerangs.

Then I moved onto Roc Items. I was wondering just what you meant by height; I think I get it now that I played around with a Power 50 Roc's Feather. Yeah, um, staying in the air for a ludicris amount of time so high above the screen that you can't see Link no matter where you move is fun. I also noticed that when I set Power 0 that my shield deflected blue Octorok rocks despite the fact that I should be "above" them, and I could actually get myself hit by them if my shield didn't block them. This is strange as, with very good timing as Power 0 Roc's items have a very short range, I could jump right through flying enemies, but it seems like I'm still on the level of projectiles. Power 0 Roc's Feather is really cool in terms of just how far it goes (it requires real skill to use; that's for sure), but that is a bit of a problem.

Then I moved onto some custom bombs. I started by doing the responsible thing and setting the maximum number of bombs on the screen to 100, though I quickly discovered that I couldn't get nearly that many on the screen before they exploded. Even setting the fuse to 255 didn't let me overload the game, and it worked quite smoothly. Remote bombs were interesting, though I noticed one thing that I would legitimately call a problem. If you lay a remote bomb and then go to the edge of the screen where you can't use items, you will be disallowed from detonating it. I understand why this happens, but it's still somewhat frustrating since the bomb itself is nowhere near the "no item" zone.

So yeah, other than the really nasty bug whereby item families change every time you edit them in the item editor, the item editor seems to run pretty well. It will certainly be enjoyable to build stuff around these new features.

The_Amaster
05-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Soo...can do we make custom scripted items now? I mean, can we make custom item families, and have them on the subscreen?

ShadowTiger
05-08-2007, 07:59 PM
I just hope we can duplicate item effects, i.e. having many multiples of items to choose from, each with different effects, all available at the same time. For example, having this new hammer and the normal hammer in your inventory at the same time, able to be selected at your leisure without permanently replacing the other.

_L_
05-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Soo...can do we make custom scripted items now? I mean, can we make custom item families, and have them on the subscreen?

Yes, but currently no. (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97235) But you can put custom item families on the subscreen, though.

Also, power seems to work strangely. I can't ever kill things like blue Octoroks no matter how high I set power, and my power 30 Boomerang OHKO'd a 50 HP custom Keese. I suspect that this is more an issue with the enemy editor than with the item editor, but it's still a real inhibition on the flexibility of custom Boomerangs.Uh, yup. Currently, Keese and Gels have special handling where the boomerang always kills (Bats: damages) them. And all of the other enemies have special handling where the boomerang only stuns them. But not for long!

Then I moved onto Roc Items. I was wondering just what you meant by height; I think I get it now that I played around with a Power 50 Roc's Feather. Yeah, um, staying in the air for a ludicris amount of time so high above the screen that you can't see Link no matter where you move is fun.Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels?

I also noticed that when I set Power 0 that my shield deflected blue Octorok rocks despite the fact that I should be "above" them, and I could actually get myself hit by them if my shield didn't block them. This is strange as, with very good timing as Power 0 Roc's items have a very short range, I could jump right through flying enemies, but it seems like I'm still on the level of projectiles.If "Enemies move through Z axis" is enabled, then you won't be able to jump over flyers.

P.S: The projectile logic runs thus:
* In Link's Awakening, Link can jump over any enemy as long as Link's Z is greater than the enemy's Z.
* If "Enemies move through Z axis" is enabled, flying Keese have a Z that is approximately 8, and flying Peahats have a Z that is approximately 16.
* Therefore, in order for Link's attacks to hit an Octorok and hit a flying Keese but not hit a flying Peahat, (Link's) weapons must only be able to affect enemies with a Z difference of 8.

This is why Link can still get hit with enemy projectiles when his Z is 8 but jumps straight over the enemies shooting them.

The_Amaster
05-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Hey, heres a queston/suggestion/request, depending on weather you can or not. Is it possible yet to change Links sword beam, so he doesn't have to look like he's throwing his sword?

_L_
05-12-2007, 11:12 PM
What? Yes, of course. See this (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=96935); in particular, the Sword class's Wpn3.

The_Amaster
05-12-2007, 11:30 PM
So it was weapn three. I was confident at first that it was, and then I couldn't test it because of the class bug, and then I began thinking: What if weapon three is the...umm..thinking about it now, it was really stupid. Thanks. (That's twice in the last 15 minuites that I've felt stupid for not reading stuff and L has helped.)

firecrystal
05-13-2007, 12:45 AM
I am testing it, and the item classes play musical chairs with me. It's annoying. Also, the way you can charge the sword and the hammer when you get their scrolls reminds me of Harvest Moon.

The_Amaster
05-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Actually, yeah, looking back on this threads topic, I haven't been able to test out the editor because of the class bug. Any chance we can get that build released soon?

shadowfall1976
05-14-2007, 11:56 AM
exactly what can you do on the "Pickup" tab? say script wise, does it mean you
can have a script written that uses a Custom item description string to pop up
upon pickup?

_L_
05-15-2007, 04:58 AM
Yup - once I make a script function that produces a message string, though.

bigjoe
05-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Here's an idea:

Weaker initial arrow, with 4 tiers. (Wooden Arrow, White Arrow, Magic Arrow, Light Arrow)

AmazingAmpharos
05-15-2007, 08:06 PM
I tried to make a Clock item that would stay in your inventory and would cost magic to use for a temporary freeze, but I wasn't able to get it into my subscreen due to an unfortunate bug. As I think about it, I wonder if Clocks are capable of working like that at all (being usable items instead of automatic use upon grabbing). A "Stop" spell would be pretty cool either way though (I modeled the item as the "Stopwatch").

Majora
05-15-2007, 10:38 PM
How do you choose the Farore's Wind warp style? In the Item editor right?

ShadowTiger
05-16-2007, 09:14 AM
How do you choose the Farore's Wind warp style? In the Item editor right?
Farore's Wind
Misc1: 1 = TwilightYep. Thar it be. Check the pinned topics in this forum.

Nimono
05-16-2007, 11:51 AM
I tried to make a Clock item that would stay in your inventory and would cost magic to use for a temporary freeze, but I wasn't able to get it into my subscreen due to an unfortunate bug. As I think about it, I wonder if Clocks are capable of working like that at all (being usable items instead of automatic use upon grabbing). A "Stop" spell would be pretty cool either way though (I modeled the item as the "Stopwatch").
I made a script for that, you know. :P

...Gosh, I haven't been testing the betas for a while! :o Someone give me another example of what can be done. Like, can we *finally* have custom item classes that can be their own class, yet act like a Sword? :O

_L_
05-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Someone give me another example of what can be done.

Remote Bombs, Wand-style Candles, Level-Specific Magic Keys, this topic (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=97242)...

The_Amaster
05-16-2007, 03:24 PM
We can make Heart Containers that increase your life by like, half a heart, and a fourth a heart, right?

(BTW, which sprites are used for the 1/4 and 3/4 hearts, with that one rule checked?)

EDIT: I just rememberd we've been able to do the first for a while now. But I still need to know about the second.

_L_
05-20-2007, 03:20 AM
Reminder: are you testing out the shields? Trying different combinations?

bigjoe
06-10-2007, 06:43 PM
I've made a number of fun things.

Dire Bombs - much stronger bomb but takes longer to explode.
Omega Bombs - same strength as Dire bomb but with shorter fuse.

Silly Boomerang - Boomerang that has shorter distance than wooden boomerang.

Sword Beam Upgrades- Each sword now has two variations, one that shoots a beam and one that does not shoot.

Four Tiers of Hammer- Uh, its hammer time? Wooden Hammer, White Hammer, Magic Hammer, Thor's Hammer.

I've yet to touch those shields, though.

idontknow
06-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Here's some items & weapons I've made:

Potion Class:
-Milk: Fills 4 hearts
-Red Potion: Fills all your hearts
-Green Potion: Fills all your magic
-Blue Potion: Fills all your hearts & magic

Rupee Class:
-A 2-piece rupee.
-A 100-piece rupee

Hammer Class:
-Bronze Hammer (power of 1, wooden sword)
-Silver Hammer (power of 2, white sword)
-Gold Hammer (power of 3, magic sword)

Boomerang Class:
-Short Boomerang (distance of 30)
-Medium Boomerang (distance of 60)
-Long Boomerang (infinite distance, i.e. "Magic B'rang")

Lens of Truth Class:
-Small Lens: radius of 30, consumes 1 magic per second
-Medium Lens: radius of 50, consumes 1 magic per second
-Large Lens: radius of 80, but consumes 2 magic per second