PDA

View Full Version : Removed sfx.dat, now ZC won't start

Kompis
05-07-2007, 07:47 PM
I downloaded "Search for Elise" and the instructions said to replace the sfx.dat with a new one that came along. When I tried to do this I first removed the old file from the folder, but now I can't put the new one in (or put the old one back). Obviously the program needs it, for now ZC won't start at all... I'm on mac os 10.3.9, by the way.

As anyone can see I don't really know what I'm doing here, so if I'm not making sense, please tell me and I will try to explaine again.

michal9000
05-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Yeah this is true! I did the same and it screwed up my zc and zquest and had to reinstall it! It is the same for windows cause thats what I'm running, it also gos for changing the sound effects, I haven't checked it the new 278 yet but I'm going to do so now!

firefly
05-08-2007, 09:31 PM
How come you can't put the new sfx.dat in? :confused: The only thing you need to do is to move the new sfx.dat (the one in the Search for Elise folder) into your Zelda Classic folder and replace or delete the old sfx.dat file in your Zelda Classic folder, right?. :shrug:

If you can't move the file, or for some reason, it doesn't work, then I guess you will need to reinstall Zelda Classic, but I doubt it.

michal9000
05-08-2007, 11:14 PM
If your usin any zc other than the stated to use it screws up your zc folder. You should not delete to old sfx file just move it out. But as the problem were having is it wont let us use the search fo elise sfx file. Or put a silent sfx wav into the sfx slot 18, that is probably why we cant use it in the newer zc's because there is a bug to do with the sfx!

Freedom
05-09-2007, 01:26 AM
From the download page for "Search for Elise";

**** Search for Elise ****
Released 5/24/2004
Use the 184 player
Search for Elise Quest
Custom sound file (sfx.dat)

You need the Custom Sounds File with "The Search for Elise" for it to sound right,
rename or move yours to another folder.

Note the bold blue.
Each release version of Zelda Classic is different.
The only thing you can count on from one version to the next, is that whichever version you use, it will be unstable.
IF you play a quest in a version that it's not built in, then chances are you will be mad and disappointed before you are through.
What can I say... you were warned.
I've been fighting for a STABLE release for over 2 years, and the gimme more guys always win out, so we keep getting more that doesn't work, and no stable release.
I've done all I can do, take it up with DN. :shrug:

michal9000
05-09-2007, 02:59 AM
Yeah I know to use the 184 to play it! Although it works great in 254, which was pretty stable unlike the new 278! It just the only thing is the sfx, thing in 254, other than that I have yet to find a bug, that is in the search for elise qst on b254.

Kompis
05-09-2007, 05:05 PM
How come you can't put the new sfx.dat in? :confused: The only thing you need to do is to move the new sfx.dat (the one in the Search for Elise folder) into your Zelda Classic folder and replace or delete the old sfx.dat file in your Zelda Classic folder, right?.

Yes, that is what I thought as well. But it seems that the "program folder" is different and only allows you to take things OUT of it. I believe this is a mac thing... (Please note, before I started playing ZC I had NEVER opened a "program folder" and I have used computers (mac) for 20 years.)

And Freedom: 2.11b6/b9 are the only mac versions I have found so far (please let me know of any others). I have completed Hero of Dreams, Hidden Duality DX and Links Birthday on 2.11b9 and not noticed any bugs...