PDA

View Full Version : good gamecube games?

Nicholas Steel
05-07-2007, 07:08 PM
any good gamecube games out there oO, im looking at getting "luigi's mansion" and "mario RPG thousand year door"...

im mostly not into sports games... the only sports games i would be interested in would have to be "tony hawks".

what i do have is...

Super Smash BROS. Melee (40$ Electronics Boutique)
Star Wars Bounty Hunter (10$ Game Traders)
NBA Courtside 2002 (10$ Game Traders)
NBA 2K3 (10$ Game Traders)
WrestleMania X8 (free from Game Traders as part of a 4 game package with a pretty damn new hand controller)
relativly new, no wear and tear, corded hand hand controller (10$ Game Traders)

i got me gamcube last friday, brand new for 100$ with nothing included and 25$ for a 64MB memory card, im aware i could have got the console cheaper via EBAY but eh,and its teh platinum console :P so it's all silver and cool and uh very awesome =D

MottZilla
05-07-2007, 07:23 PM
I hope you didn't pay 40$ recently for SSBM. I thought that game was easily had for 20$ these days. Games you might want to check out:

F-Zero GX
Mario Kart Double Dash
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 1 Remake
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Soul Calibur 2
Ikaruga (if you could manage to find it and like hardcore shoot em ups)

That's about it.

Dechipher
05-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Pikmin is fun for a while, but it does get kind of old. Tony Hawk 3 was really fun, it was one of the first games I got. Those games are fun with the cheats on because you can just fuck around. Paper Mario TTYD is a great choice for a game. Eternal Darkness is pretty cool. Luigi's Mansion is fun one time through, but after that I just get bored. No doubt the latest Marto Party is a good pick.

Plissken
05-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Tales of Symphonia was a great game. One of my favorite GameCube games.

Masamune
05-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Resident Evil 2 was also released for GC.

Aegix Drakan
05-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Tales of Symphonia was a great game. One of my favorite GameCube games.

QFT. If you like RPGs, then GET IT NOW!

AtmaWeapon
05-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Tales of Symphonia was a great game. One of my favorite GameCube games.Also Eternal Darkness

Plissken
05-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Oh yeah and MGS 1. Very awesome.

XMuppetSB
05-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Another good Gamecube games is Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Plus, it was one of the best selling Gamecube games ever. :)

Pineconn
05-07-2007, 10:17 PM
You must be living in a time lapse, as PM:TTYD has already been established. ;)

Naturally, I think TLoZ: The Wind Waker is a good game. Just look beyond the veneer of the cel-shaded graphics and you'll see a pretty good game. And Twilight Princess, of course, is excellent, if you don't have it for the Wii/have a Wii. I also agree with Mario Kart. You might also want to try Super Mario Sunshine. Well, there's my 8% of a quarter.

For the conflicted, 8% of a quarter is 2 cents. ;)

erm2003
05-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Another suggestion: The Lego Star Wars games are a lot of fun, especially for two players. I would definitely look into those.

vegeta1215
05-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Beyond Good and Evil!!! (good luck finding it though)

Other Gamecube games I recommend that have not been mentioned: Pikmin 1 & 2, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time/Warrior Within/Two Thrones. Skies of Arcadia Legends. Sonic Mega Collection. Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (can be played alone, but is a lot of fun with multiplayer - each person needs a GBA and GBA link cable though) Tomb Raider Legend. Viewtiful Joe. Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy. Chibi Robo.

Nicholas Steel
05-07-2007, 11:46 PM
You must be living in a time lapse, as PM:TTYD has already been established. ;)

Naturally, I think TLoZ: The Wind Waker is a good game. Just look beyond the veneer of the cel-shaded graphics and you'll see a pretty good game. And Twilight Princess, of course, is excellent, if you don't have it for the Wii/have a Wii. I also agree with Mario Kart. You might also want to try Super Mario Sunshine. Well, there's my 8% of a quarter.

For the conflicted, 8% of a quarter is 2 cents. ;)
i don't mind how a game is rendered so long as it isnt just pure crap... i focus on gameplay more.

Aegix Drakan
05-08-2007, 08:17 AM
OH! and if you're into action games, look for Custom Robo.

^_^ It's good. (discreetly points to his avatar)

Plissken
05-08-2007, 04:02 PM
I had fun with Custom Robo for like a week. Then it just got boring and repetitive. Good rental in my opinion.

AtmaWeapon
05-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Custom Robo is pretty fun until you get a couple of guns that make the game a comedy. There's this some kind of spark gun that is like a tazer in that it does crap damage but has a big stun and low refire delay; with this gun equipped every battle becomes: Get very close to enemy Push butan Goto 2and you just laugh as they can't do anything. I've played through it a few times and never really played through the full endgame content because it really does get kind of frustrating for the few fights where the spark gun tazer thing doesn't work and you realize you know nothing about the game mechanics.

Glenn the Great
05-08-2007, 08:47 PM
I'd recommend Twilight Princess.

firefly
05-08-2007, 09:23 PM
The best games for Gamecube I have played so far are: Resident Evil 4, Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario: TTYD, TLoZ: Wind Waker and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

Resident Evil 4 is just... Addicting! :D

I haven't played Twilight Princess for Gamecube, but I think it is essentially the same as the Wii version, except that the Wii version is mirrored and that you can hack the Gamecube version with an Action Replay. :tongue:

Glenn the Great
05-08-2007, 09:35 PM
The best games for Gamecube I have played so far are: Resident Evil 4, Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario: TTYD, TLoZ: Wind Waker and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

Resident Evil 4 is just... Addicting! :D

I haven't played Twilight Princess for Gamecube, but I think it is essentially the same as the Wii version, except that the Wii version is mirrored and that you can hack the Gamecube version with an Action Replay. :tongue:

The Gamecube version also has better controls. The only downside is that you are able to carry one less item in your C keys.

EatinCake
05-08-2007, 10:03 PM
I enjoyed Viewtiful Joe and Metriod Prime quite a bit. Viewtiful Joe is wierd as its a gamecube side-scroller, but it works. Definatly pick it up. Other things you should get are the obvious ones which have already been mentioned quite a bit. Paper Mario, ToS, Wind Waker, ect.

ShadowTiger
05-09-2007, 10:41 AM
I, as well as most others here, will HIGHLY recommend Tales Of Symphonia. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles was a steaming pile of chicken vomit compared to Tales Of Symphonia. If ToS and I had children together, I'm pretty sure they would be the next benevolent rulers of east Asia. All twenty seven of them.

Seriously, GET TALES OF SYMPHONIA. I cannot even tell you how good it is. The plot is fantastic, the characterization will blow you away, and there are HOURS AND HOURS of gameplay. It's not uncommon to go STRAIGHT THROUGH the game with little to no deviation, following only the main plotline as straightforwardly as you can, skipping ALL dialogs, (A speed run, basically.) and finish with 30 hours or so on the clock. I had about 70 hours on my first run through after bumbling about, doing everything I could find.

SSBM is an obvious choice. Use it, Learn it, Master it. Then when Smash goes online, I would like to face you. That goes for anyone and everyone. It's the one game I would ever even consider boasting openly about, actually being sure of my ability, and having had proven myself time and time again. ... ... Okay, I'm done.

How is Animal Crossing, anyway? I'm looking for a little nightly entertainment. Is it at all like the Sims? Just a little leisurely stroll through a gaming experience at night that won't make your adrenaline rush. I would very much like to check it out.

The Wind Waker is ABSOLUTELY a good choice. If graphics are a put off, I really, really wouldn't know why they would. They're just so detailed! The animation is smoother than anything I've ever seen before! It looks a little cartoony, but once you get past that "Flaw," if it is one, the game just looks gorgeous if you can get your head out of your arse. Sailing is only bad if you have a fuse of patience the size of your own male bits. You don't have tiny male bits, do you? (I'm pretty sure someone won an election with a line like that.)

Both Metroid Primes are an excellent pick. Some would call them difficult, but they're not truly that difficult. You just have to be tenacious and observant at all times. Monsters have a lot more hit points than many would care for them to have.

Soul Calibur II is fun. Can't really say that much more than that, I guess. Blocking, unlock most other fighters, is actually fairly effective, thank god. It's not nearly as efficient as SSBM's block, but it's a HELL of a lot better than Mortal Kombat's block. You even have direct control over the parry and deflect features. SOOO USEFUL.

Bloody Roar Primal Fury is pretty nice, I guess. The concept is interesting, and works well with what you get. Some of the characters are really unique as well. Uriko Nonomura is a hottie. ^.^ Ehehe. XD Rent it before you decide to buy it, but do stick with it for the whole trial duration. It has high replay value, and others play it religiously as well, and you shouldn't find yourself without it when you need it.

My sister has a Harry Potter: Quidditch game on the 'cube. It's not bad, really. Like any other sports game, it'll have you yelling at the TV, trying to get at that quaffle thingy to throw into one of the three hoops. Do rent it before you decide to buy it though.

mrz84
05-09-2007, 02:31 PM
I can't add too much that hasn't already been said. I do recommend:
Metroid Prime
Paper Mario
Wind Waker
Animal Crossing
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Star Fox Assault
Resident Evil 4 (be wary of the chainsaw guys)
Custom Robo
Tales of Symphonia

and that's all I think of..... :kitty:

GoldenChocobo
05-09-2007, 08:47 PM
First of all, don't even consider Animal Crossing. Maybe you'd like it, but personally, I thought it was awful. You should get Wind Waker, for sure, Tales of Symphonia is good (so far... I'm about 1/4 into it). Oh! Get that Spongebob game-- Lights, Camera, Pants! It's really, really fun o__O Well, fun if you play it with friends. It's a game consisting of many, many mini-games. Awesome.

DarkFlameWolf
05-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Beyond Good and Evil
Megaman Anniversary Collection
Megaman X Collection
Baten Kaitos
Skies of Arcadia: Legends
Paper Mario: TTYD
Metroid Prime 1 and 2
Resident Evil 4
Tales of Symphonia
Zelda: Wind Waker
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Zelda Collection Disc

erm2003
05-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Since quite a few of you recommended the game, I just bought a copy of Tales of Symphonia from amazon.com today. Found it for $10. Pretty nice deal. I am hoping it keeps my interest. I have been looking for a few good RPGs. Has anyone tried the Fire Emblem game for GC? I had almost purchased it once but I held off until I heard more about it.

Cloral
06-01-2007, 12:27 AM
Unfortunately, RPGs are something the gamecube lacked. ToS was about the only mainstream RPG to hit the platform. If you want RPGs you'd probably be better served looking on the PS2.

Darth Marsden
06-01-2007, 07:40 AM
RPGs for the Gamecube, according to GameFAQs:

Baten Kaitos
Baten Kaitos II
Digimon World 4
Digimon X
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
Future Tactics: The Uprising
Gladius
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody
Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
Lost Kingdoms
Lost Kingdoms II
Mega Man X: Command Mission
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Phantasy Star Online Episode I + II
Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
Rockman X Command Mission
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Summoner: A Goddess Reborn (Summoner II by any other name)
Tales of Symphonia
Virtua Quest
X-Men Legends
X-Men Legends II

Owned! :D

I do have a couple of games from that list, although not all on the Gamecube - Skies of Arcadia Legends and Tales of Symphonia are ones I can highly recommend that aren't on other consoles. I've tried Lord of the Rings: The Third Age on the PS2 and it was actually pretty good, and the first Summoner wasn't bad either, although I never played the second one.

As I was heavily into the thing before I got my PS2, I own a fair number of Gamecube games. The ones I'd highly recommend are:

1080 Avalanche (Best snowboarding game ever)
Animal Crossing (You will lose your life to this)
Eternal Darkness (The Sanity meter once gave me the blue screen of death. 'nuff said)
F-Zero GX (Your eyes will bleed from the speed)
Legend of Zelda: Every Sodding Game (This includes the collectors disc, if you can track it down)
Luigi's Mansion (Simple, but fun)
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (Way, way too much fun in multiplayer)
Metroid Prime (Made by former Valve employees. Need I say more?)
Metroid Prime: Echoes (As above, only BETTER)
Sonic Mega Collection (the PS2 version is, irritatingly, better, but this is still the best Sonic GC game)
Soul Calibre II (Better then other consoles because it's got LINK!)
Rogue Squadron II (Blow up the Death Star! Again!)
Rogue Squadron III (Now with added on-foot sections)
Super Mario Sunshine (Shine!)
Super Smash Bros. Melee (Ever wanted to beat up Pikachu? 'course you do, stupid question)

DarkFlameWolf
06-01-2007, 08:03 AM
Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2 are unique and interesting if you like action RPGs mixed with card games. (Don't ask, just look into it)

Cloral
06-01-2007, 12:09 PM
RPGs for the Gamecube, according to GameFAQs:

Baten Kaitos
Baten Kaitos II
Digimon World 4
Digimon X
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
Future Tactics: The Uprising
Gladius
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody
Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
Lost Kingdoms
Lost Kingdoms II
Mega Man X: Command Mission
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Phantasy Star Online Episode I + II
Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
Rockman X Command Mission
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Summoner: A Goddess Reborn (Summoner II by any other name)
Tales of Symphonia
Virtua Quest
X-Men Legends
X-Men Legends II

Owned! :D

Hence the difference between RPG and mainstream RPG. Games like Harvest Moon aren't exactly what most people think of when you say RPG. Of that list, I think the other ones I would count under the RPG moniker are Skies of Arcadia and the Paper Mario games. And maybe Baten Kaitos, though having never played them I couldn't say for sure. They were card-based, weren't they?

ONeilcool
06-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Idk if Animal Crossing has been mentioned but its definitly a great game

btw, is anyone here still playing Animal Crossing? I've restarted like 4 times already but after a few months I eventually forget about my town :(

Pineconn
06-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Soul Calibre II (Better then other consoles because it's got LINK!)

Y'all and your different spellings... It's Caliber!

Owned. :D

And maybe Baten Kaitos, though having never played them I couldn't say for sure. They were card-based, weren't they?

I heard that the Baten Kaitos "series" was a pretty good investment. Considering BKII is on two disks. And yes, from what I've seen (2 hours at the most), the games are heavily card-based.

EDIT: Hehe, I have an elite number of posts...