PDA

View Full Version : Good Wii games?

Dark Knight
05-06-2007, 11:04 PM
So, I've recently gotten my hands on the Nintendo Wii after waiting for SOMEONE to stock them and I would like to know what Wii games are worth my time or worth waiting for.

I've already got Twilight Princess, so...any suggestions?

Mitsukara
05-06-2007, 11:54 PM
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

*is shot*

You know, Virtual Console and all.

Dark Knight
05-06-2007, 11:55 PM
lol, I'll do that when I have that USB Wi-Fi thing.

Glenn the Great
05-07-2007, 12:35 AM
From what I know, Twilight Princess is really the only worthwhile thing to get right now.

I'm not even going to bother to suggest anything on the VC, since as you know, only idiots get anything on that, since it is all emu-able, with better quality and control on emulators anyway. And free.

Fiyerstorm
05-07-2007, 03:34 AM
Depends on the situation.

Have friends/siblings? Games such as WarioWare and Rayman are a definite. These games lack depth but they're so much fun, especially with at least 3 people.

Are you a XXXxxxhawdcorexxXXx gamer? I recommend

Oh. You got it. Zelda :D

The Godfather: Blackhand Edition is fun in my opinion and I don't even like GTA-style games. :V

Super Paper Mario and Trauma Center: Second Opinion are worthwhile, so I hear. :V

erm2003
05-07-2007, 05:26 AM
I have Super Paper Mario and I like it. It's a fun twist on the Paper Mario series, a bit more action than RPG this time around but it works and there are some nice puzzles throughout the game.

Wii Play isn't a bad idea if you are going to buy more remotes anyway. If you factor in the normal cost of the remote included with the game, the $10 you really pay for the game can be worth it since there are some fun 2 player games.

Don't wait too long on getting yourself set up for the VC. There are already a lot great games already available through that.

AlexMax
05-07-2007, 09:37 AM
I'm not even going to bother to suggest anything on the VC, since as you know, only idiots get anything on that, since it is all emu-able, with better quality and control on emulators anyway. And free.

"I'd rather try to justify software piracy to myself instead of supporting the company by buying it through a readily availble outlet."

Also, aside from TP, I've gotten Wario Ware, which is great for parties. Friends of mine have taken a liking to Super Paper Mario and Rayman. I've also heard great things about Elebits and ExciteTruck (as a single player game, though).

Don't get Super Monkey Ball though, it's nowhere near as good as the first two Gamecube versions. And the Wii version of Spider-Man 3 is really LOL, judging by screenshots.

idontknow
05-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Mario Party 8 comes out at the end of the month (May 25?) And Super Mario Strikers is supposed to come out sometime in Q3 of this year, most likely in July so if you can manage to wait that long, it'd be worth it!

mrz84
05-07-2007, 02:13 PM
I can only add one thing that has not been mentioned thus far: Smash Bros Brawl. When it is released, get it. I know I will (even if I don't have a Wii by then, I'll still get it. Forgot the release date though) :kitty:

Darth Marsden
05-07-2007, 03:12 PM
I can only add one thing that has not been mentioned thus far: Smash Bros Brawl. When it is released, get it. I know I will (even if I don't have a Wii by then, I'll still get it. Forgot the release date though) :kitty:
Oh please, that goes without saying.

Games you may want to look into:

Call of Duty 3
Eledees
Heatseeker
Kororinpa
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Sonic & The Secret Rings
Super Paper Mario
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
Trauma Center - Second Opinion
Wario Ware - Smooth Moves
Wii Play
Wing Island

...at least, they're the ones that look interesting to me, anyway.

Glenn the Great
05-07-2007, 05:49 PM
"I'd rather try to justify software piracy to myself instead of supporting the company by buying it through a readily availble outlet."

Alex, the issue is that I have no desire whatsoever to play the VC classics without savestates and the ability to hack the roms and use game genie. Heck, I want to take screen captures too.

AlexMax
05-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Alex, the issue is that I have no desire whatsoever to play the VC classics without savestates and the ability to hack the roms and use game genie. Heck, I want to take screen captures too.

And does that mean you're exempt for paying for something? I can understand perfectly if you already own the game and want to make your experience more enjoyable, since you already paid for it, but unless there is absolutely no way to get ahold of that particular game these days, you should at least fork over the cash for a legit copy of the game before you download the ROM, because those dollars tell Nintendo "Hey, It's 2007 and I still think this game kicks ass!".

Glenn the Great
05-07-2007, 06:22 PM
And does that mean you're exempt for paying for something? I can understand perfectly if you already own the game and want to make your experience more enjoyable, since you already paid for it, but unless there is absolutely no way to get ahold of that particular game these days, you should at least fork over the cash for a legit copy of the game before you download the ROM, because those dollars tell Nintendo "Hey, It's 2007 and I still think this game kicks ass!".

Well, I'm very happy that you are allowing yourself to be a slave to society's mores. It's important that there are lots of people like you out there, so that smarter people can have a more enjoyable experience and more money at the same time. I salute you.

The_Amaster
05-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Wii Sports!

*Runs*

Okay, seriously, Warioware is a blast and Brawl is going to be amazing.

Mitsukara
05-07-2007, 06:58 PM
I actually happen to agree with Glenn to a point (gasp!). I would only actually buy stuff that I really REALLY wanted to support that I felt bad for (IE I might more be more likely to pay for a Dragon Quest Game than some uber duper million seller like LTTP) or for something I wanted the convenience of having on the Wii.

And I definitely wouldn't pay for something I already legitimately own again.

I'm pretty happy with what I conceive as a moderated combination of what works best. People like to blindly write off theft and piracy as though they were murder; yes, I can see where it's not a good thing, but unlike murder, nobody dies when you steal something. If all you're stealing is a perfect copy of something and not taking the thing away from anyone else's possession, then all you're really doing is not paying for them and not supporting them. Sometimes there's more important things to do with your money, believe it or not. And even when that excuse doesn't work, I hardly see how it's the spawn of all evil to do that.

Steal something out of someone's personal possessions and they don't have it anymore; that's pretty awful. Steal something mass produced from the poor, tangible or intangible, and you're hurting someone who can't afford it. Steal something from the rich, something tiny or even without actually TAKING anything physically tangible, and frankly it doesn't really amount to that much, no matter how much the rich would like you to believe otherwise. You can make some arguement for "oh, if everyone thought that way the company would fall", but see, that's not thinking it through; if the company weren't as rich not as many would steal from it if they followed this line of thought, because I consider it assholery to steal from somebody who actually NEEDS money. So yes, if enough people did it it'd make a tangible difference, but it would hardly destroy everything.

But I digress.

To put it in D&D terms: the lawful person says it's bad to steal because it's against the system, the neutral person cares only about the situation and the tangible, real effect, and the chaotic person doesn't care and does what suits them. I'm neutral, Glenn is chaotic, and AlexMax is lawful. *shrugs*

Plissken
05-07-2007, 07:05 PM
The only other games I would get if I were you would be Super Monkey Ball and Wario Ware Smooth Moves.

MottZilla
05-07-2007, 07:15 PM
AlexMax clearly has a fine point which I agree with. Emulation far too often is used solely as an enabler for piracy for the cheapest of pirates. It used to be to pirate games you'd invest considerably into pirate hardware, work hard to obtain ROM images illegally. Now you can just use the PC you already have and easily illegally obtain every game you could ever want. It's sad in that way.

Emulation does have it's good uses. Primarily it helps understand the system better and can greatly help homebrew development and interesting hacks. There's alot of great uses and legitimate uses for emulation. It can't replace the real thing in my opinion. I certainly like to aqquire the original cartridges and play on the original system if possible.

I agree with people supporting Virtual Console but I cannot do so myself because of a few things. First, paying for emulation is pathetic esspecially when no where near perfect. Next DRM. You pay for essentially some kind of license that only seems to apply to your particular system and well DRM sucks ass. Finally price, 5$ for a NES game? For that much I can buy the original cartridge more than likely.

I favor original cartridges and systems. Emulation is great for it's uses that aren't pirate related. No one cares if you are going to use it like a pirate atleast so long as you recognize it for what it is. When you play a ROM of some game you don't own, you're a pirate.

As for Wii games, there's not much out. I advise going to a rental store and looking around and trying stuff out. Super Paper Mario however should be a safe bet.

vegeta1215
05-07-2007, 11:27 PM
I just got a Wii this weekend and am looking for games to pick up too. There are a lot I'd like to try, but Super Paper Mario is the only one I'd consider picking up at the moment. (and even that I'm iffy about, simply because I hear it's a very simple and easy game). The virtual console is cool, but it's a lot of money to pay imo. However, if Nintendo offered a legal way for me to play Seiken Densetsu 3 I would jump at it.

Even though I own it already and have beaten it twice, I am looking forward to RE4 on the Wii this summer. Aside from the new controls, I really want to play Ada's Separate Ways.

Cloral
05-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Yeah, Paper Mario is a bit on the easy side. Still worth playing though.

AlexMax
05-10-2007, 08:34 PM
AlexMax clearly has a fine point which I agree with. Emulation far too often is used solely as an enabler for piracy for the cheapest of pirates. It used to be to pirate games you'd invest considerably into pirate hardware, work hard to obtain ROM images illegally. Now you can just use the PC you already have and easily illegally obtain every game you could ever want. It's sad in that way.

Emulation does have it's good uses. Primarily it helps understand the system better and can greatly help homebrew development and interesting hacks. There's alot of great uses and legitimate uses for emulation. It can't replace the real thing in my opinion. I certainly like to aqquire the original cartridges and play on the original system if possible.

I agree with people supporting Virtual Console but I cannot do so myself because of a few things. First, paying for emulation is pathetic esspecially when no where near perfect. Next DRM. You pay for essentially some kind of license that only seems to apply to your particular system and well DRM sucks ass. Finally price, 5$ for a NES game? For that much I can buy the original cartridge more than likely.

You're mostly on target, but although you can get the origional cartridges cheap off ebay, it also requires an investment in the origional systems, which many people may not have and probably aren't supported by their origional manufacturers any longer. And there's the whole ebay factor, where you can get ripped off and is less prone to impulse buying than the VC is, which is a good thing for Nintendo. And of course, $8-$10 is going to be a steal when it comes to neo geo games.

As for your point on DRM, why is that even an issue, it's not like it's a PC game or anything, the only thing you can play the thing on is your Wii and if it breaks you can just call Nintendo and have it sorted out. No muss no fuss.

Of course, you're quite on target with the rest of your post.

Well, I'm very happy that you are allowing yourself to be a slave to society's mores. It's important that there are lots of people like you out there, so that smarter people can have a more enjoyable experience and more money at the same time. I salute you.

http://www.thanksinter.net/SA/gifs/Thizz.gifhttp://www.thanksinter.net/SA/gifs/Thizz.gifhttp://www.thanksinter.net/SA/gifs/Thizz.gifhttp://www.thanksinter.net/SA/gifs/Thizz.gif

MottZilla
05-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Well again as I said before I speak for myself. I already own the original hardware in most cases thus the value of the VC is very low to me. Though you make a great point about NeoGeo. About the DRM, you essentially pay for a license to play it on your Wii but that's it and the content of it is encrypted. Buy the original cartridge and you're free to play it on whatever you want. Plus then you bought the phsyical game and not a digital file which is another thing I hate.

Again I'm just saying for my use the VC is far inferior to the original games.

catfriedrice
05-10-2007, 11:11 PM
No one's mentioned Red Steel... It's "fairly" decent, and I enjoyed the gameplay in it (story lacked). I wouldn't touch CoD3; the controller makes things messy if you take the pointer off screen.

Get the WiFi as soon as possible so you can get the Opera Browser for free (At least, I think it's still free till June).

MottZilla
05-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Red Steel is horrible. Don't even bother renting it.

Dark Knight
05-11-2007, 05:40 PM
thanks for the suggestions. didnt intend for this thread to become athread about the pros & cons of emulation though. *shrugs*