PDA

View Full Version : Let's compile all this info into one place.

ShadowTiger
05-05-2007, 10:18 PM
While ZC's ever-increasing levels of complexity is certainly a good thing, I have no doubt that it's grown to be very, very confusing for those who see the new implementations and are left to wonder what it is exactly that they actually do.

I was thinking that, perhaps we could compile all of these various pinned threads into something a bit more useful, like a single thread for the "Things you're looking for" thread with all the ZC information on it. It would have information on the various parts of the Item Editor and its classes applicable, and the values for the enemy editor, useful shortcuts, etc. Things are aren't documented within ZQuest itself. Things that you have to look up online to discover. Things that you really wouldn't be able to know without being told outright.

I recommend a system of user-submitted information. For example, we could set up a way of submitting summaries of information in a categorized way. For example, I would lead with [Quest -> Items -> Actions] and then Full Max: Allows the designer to... and so on. Some more samples of documentation include:

[Quest -> Rules] Enemies Always Return: When this is checked, whenever you return to a room, the enemies will always be there even if you had just dispatched them.

[Quest -> Enemies] Hunger: The lower the number, the more attracted these enemies are to the bait item.

[Quest -> Graphics -> Tiles] "C" will copy the selected tile. You can then do the following: "M" to move those tiles to the currently selected location within the tiles page. "V" Will duplicate the copied tiles to the highlighted location.

To hurry up and finish off the thread I've been procrastinating completing, Hotkeys and Shortcuts (Combo Pages, Tiles Pages, Subscreen Editor, etc.) must be dealt with as well.

The_Amaster
05-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Interesting. I'm assuming we can sub-divide as needed, as in splitting the enemy editor into two sections, one for the basics, and one for the (soon to be fairly obsolete) misc. attributes. [Quest -> Enemies ^ Data 1], [Quest -> Enemies ^ Data 2], [Quest -> Enemies ^ Flags 1-3], Well, okay, because of the soon obsoletion, that wasn't the best example, but you get the idea.(Oh, the ^ is meant to represent a tab, in the same way that -> indicates a menu drop)

Other question. Is this going to cover it all, even the basics, or is it strictly "new" stuff?

ShadowTiger
05-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Why shouldn't we have all the information in one place? :shrug: If it wasn't, it'd just be a system like the one we have now, which is all scattered everywhere. As long as ALL the information is here, we can divide things all we want for later organization. > >. It's not like a hotkey would go away, and other information that's made useless later can be updated if we remember to do it, and it's easier to remember if we're right here.

The_Amaster
05-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Cool. I'm in. Anything I can do to help, let me know. I wouldn't mind writing up the subscreen editor, as it's currently lacking any kind of documentation.