PDA

View Full Version : Dude plays Super Mario Bros. with eyes closed (sort of)

AtmaWeapon
05-02-2007, 11:49 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/02/super-mario-bros-played-with-eyes-closed-what-can-mankind-achi/

The comments indicate how easy it would be to forge this accomplishment, but if you pay attention to how he plays you can see that it is possible, if not really easy to play SMB this way.

The first few seconds are easy; I pretty much start 1-1 of any Mario game exactly the same each time because seriously you have to play that 5 seconds over every single time you plan and it is never subject to variation. Notice how he often hits an obstacle and continues running for a few seconds; that's him not really sure where Mario landed but knowing that a wall is up ahead so he's buying some insurance. Also, sound cues such as the death of a goomba or that he hit a block can clue him in to where Mario is. There are some somewhat impressive moves in 2-2, as they actually would require him to know that Mario is in a specific spot.

My player is only counting down for some reason so timestamps are "with x remaining" rather than "x seconds in".

At 00:42 the jump made requires fairly precise placement of the scroll but the sound of the coin is probably his cue that he has properly timed his moves. I am curious what he would do if he didn't hit the coin brick; I'd assume a quick second jump would hit the second koopa troopa and then he'd proceed as normal. The jumps in the 00:20 region would have to be timed, but you can see he uses the sound of the brick to verify he has reached the pipe.

All in all it's somewhat impressive, but I think it would be more impressive to see him do it muted.

bigjoe
05-02-2007, 11:59 PM
I think it would be literally impossible to do it muted. But still, thats pretty impressive.

Glenn the Great
05-03-2007, 12:36 AM
I used to try doing parts of games without looking, just using sound. My best accomplishment in that regard was beating KRool at the end of DKC3 (the first time you fight him, not in the Knautilus.)

KJAZZ
05-03-2007, 04:43 AM
The only time in a game that I tried to play without looking at the screen was the reflex testing mini-game in Kirby Super Star. You know, when the !! appears on screen and you have to hit A as soon as it appears. I found it easier to go by the sound it makes than the image appearing on screen.

Nicholas Steel
05-03-2007, 06:44 AM
but you just get a mirror and voile you can beat it like a pro :-D his eyes are too dark and the quality of the vid don't make it easy to see if he is squinting or not ;)

Glenn the Great
05-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Although it is easy to cheat with a mirror, I really don't think it would be necessary for the task of beating those two levels in the manner he did. It's not much of an accomplishment, especially considering those cheap shortcuts he utilized.

It shouldn't take more than an hour or so to develop a system for getting through the level without looking.