PDA

View Full Version : So I got an Xbox 360....

Warlock
04-30-2007, 10:54 AM
:D

I don't have any games for it yet though. I just picked up a couple off Live Arcade so far (Turtles, CV:SotN, Contra - ironically all Konami games).

So what games are worth getting? You can recommend regular Xbox games too if they are supported for backwards compatability.. I was sort of thinking about Ninja Gaiden, but then again they are remaking it *again* on PS3 with pretty graphics, and I gotta wonder if once that version doesn't sell (because PS3 user base is crap) they will port that version over to 360 and I can get that one :P

P.S. - can anyone tell me the point of Achievements? Do I do anything with the points I earn or are they generally meaningless?

Beldaran
04-30-2007, 11:28 AM
Here is some info on achievement points (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Live#Gamerscore). As far as I can tell, it's just for fun.

Geometry Wars is a pretty fun arcade game for the livearcade.

MottZilla
04-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Achievements are just a way people tend to estimate how good you are at whatever game for no good reason as many of the achievements are a matter of time and nothing more. By the way, have you tried 4 player TMNT on Xbox Live? Very fun, though you only get 20 lives each. I think I actually made it to Krang before Warlord and our 2 idiot players were dead.

Sort of an action RPG, Fable is Xbox 1 and works on Xbox 360. Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows, its gauntlet. Predator Concrete Jungle. Prince of Persia Sands of Time. Super Monkey Ball Deluxe.

Some Star Wars games:
# Star Wars Battlefront™
# Star Wars Battlefront™ II
# Star Wars®: Episode III Revenge of the Sith™
# Star Wars® Jedi Knight®: Jedi Academy™
# Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™
# Star Wars® Knights of the Old Republic® II: The Sith Lords™
# Star Wars Republic Commando™

Good fighting games: The King of Fighters™ 2002 & 2003

# Ultra Bust-A-Move New
# Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict

# Worms 4 Mayhem
# Worms™ Forts: Under Siege

Complete list is here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

For the 360, you should check out Dead Rising (don't pay too much for it, it'll be platinum hits soon so pay no more than 30$. There's a demo available for free on the Xbox Live Market Place.

Crackdown - GTA free roaming Super Agent that goes around killing gang members and gang leaders. There is a demo available. You may want to wait till after the Halo 3 beta ends if you aren't interested in playing the Halo 3 beta because afterwards Crackdown will be available used for cheap as all the Halo players unload their copies.

Full Auto. This is a battle racer that's pretty cool by Sega. It can be obtained pretty cheap these days. Pay no more than 30$ for it. There's a demo available.

Perfect Dark Zero. You know what this is. It's a decent FPS, not as great as later ones as it was the first really. You can get this pretty cheap. Pay no more than 20$ probably. Demo available.

Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars. RTS game obviously. The demo is out now, game comes out May 8th.

Elder Scrolls Oblivion. Free roaming RPG of some sort that everyone says is amazing. No demo. I can't really tell you anything about it.

Good job buying the Xbox 360 though. ;) And you should pickup Ninja Gaiden Black for the original Xbox because it's pretty cheap now. I got mine brand new for 5$. The slight drag is that the SNES Ninja Gaiden trilogy bonus won't work on the 360. However I'm sure you can emulate the superior NES versions anyway. I think the Arcade Game is in there too but I haven't heard if it is affected.

Warlock
04-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Where do I go for demos? I was looking for that but didn't see them on there.

P.S. - where did you get NGB for $5? I would just buy it if I can get it that cheap :)

Cloral
04-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Demos are under marketplace.

I can't really add too much to the list as most of the games I've played are already listed. Crackdown is fun, if perhaps a bit simplistic. Project 8 is actually pretty decent if you like Tony Hawk games (though the online component of it is ass - it usually takes me half an hour to find someone who's actually playing instead of just freeskating). I still play Halo 2, as do a lot of people, but with Halo 3 coming out this year it probably isn't worth spending a lot of money on it. And of course you can always pick up our game - MLB 2K7, which looks really nice on the 360. :)

MottZilla
04-30-2007, 05:23 PM
At the DashBoard, use left and right to get to the Xbox Live tab. Then you goto MarketPlace. You may need to create a Xbox Live gamertag first. Your console should come with a free month of Xbox Live Gold which gives you all the perks including Online Multiplayer. Xbox Silver is free always and lets you download demos and things.

When you goto MarketPlace, there will be a section for Game Demos.

I think I bought NGB from CircuitCity. Not sure if you will find it there, but the game can be found cheaply if you look around.

Warlock
05-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Found the demos, not sure how I missed them before :D Damn they take awhile to download though. I tried out Lost Planet, Shrek 3 (for the hell of it), and Dead Rising.

Shrek 3 was just god-aweful. One of the worst games I've played in awhile. The graphics were also terrible - they looked like PS2 quality (at a higher resolution) and were so bland and expressionless. And gameplay was just boring. Run, jump, punch guys, collect coins (why? who knows)... weeee... there was one portion where you got to play as Puss in Boots that was actually fun (swordfighting is actually pretty fun, plus he can do a special move where he makes the cute face and stuns all the enemies). But that lasted about 2 mins. Voice acting was terrible... I think they may have had Eddy Murphy and Antonio Banderas, but I don't think they had Mike Myers for Shrek. All of them seemed like they were not giving it any effort though, esp. Shrek. On the plus side, the cinematics were pretty! :D haha

Lost Planet was actually pretty awesome. The only problem was I had absolutely no direction. I was wandering around shooting alien bug things, and had no idea where I was supposed to be going, what my goal was, etc. Maybe that was just a problem with the demo I played, I dunno. But it was a pretty damn fun game. And it looked absolutely gorgeous (1080i ftw)

Dead Rising was also pretty fun but the controls seemed really crappy. I kept hitting the wrong button so I'd take a picture or something when I tried to attack. Also the weapons the demo gives you are extremely slow (so a pain to use) and the demo was insanely short (literally, I watched a cutscene, went into a store and read some books, then watched another cutscene and it was over).

Oh, and I also played the Tomb Raider Legend demo, which I think it just downloaded by itself. I already own the game on PC so I've actually beaten the whole thing, but figured what the hell. I gotta say, environments were pretty but Lara herself looked like ass. She doesn't look that terrible on the PC version, I'm not sure what happened. She doesn't even look like she belongs with the surroundings because there is such a huge graphical difference between the two. I also think the controls on the PC version were extremely superior. It was hard just running in a friggin' strait line with that analog stick.

Unfortunately no demo for Gears of War :( I really wanted to try that one out at least. I'll have to look some more tonight and see what else they have. But I do love this demo system - esp since I am usually too lazy to go out and rent crap these days :)

I'm also kind of hooked on that HeXtic game that came with the system. It's so stupid-easy to pick up and play that it's fun.

Edit: Quick question, can anyone tell me if Panzer Dragoon Orta is good? I've heard good things about it but I don't know too much about the game (other than I think it's a space shooter ala Star Fox isn't it?)

MottZilla
05-01-2007, 03:18 PM
First, Gears of War has a second map pack coming out thursday, it costs 800 ms points though. =( But I highly recommend Gears. Rent it to try it out perhaps.

About Dead Rising, the demo has several things that end the demo. Basically if you go into certain areas (well basically if you leave the main area) you end the demo. There are atleast 2 hidden cool weapons in the demo. The Katana sword and the Uzi smg. Also the demo does not really represent what you can do in the full game very well. It only really shows off a bit of the game system there.

Warlock
05-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Yeah I figured that was the case. I'll have to play it some more tonight.

War Lord
05-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Gears of war is essential. It is the system selling game. I've played through the campaign at least 5 times and would have no problem playing through again right now. I've spent countless hours in multiplayer on top of that.

I did not like the Dead Rising demo. I bought it anyway and have loved it. I haven't played through too far, however yet have spent many hours just messing around. I plan on playing through this one after I finish Viva Pinata....

Viva Pinata is another great title. I didn't play the demo, but I bought it regardless after all the glowing reviews and the price drop to $30. Worth every penny. It's just a really fun game.

The arcade system is great. I think I own about 25 titles. I highly recommend Geometry Wars, Ninja Turtles, Worms, and 3d mini golf. There are a lot of other great titles in there also. Demos are available for all though, so you can try before you buy.

The gamer score is to let me know how much better I am than Mott. Really nothing else. Actually it is a great system, other than bragging rights. I find myself playing games much longer than I normally would after or during the course of beating it, just to unlock all there is. MS did a fantastic job implementing that and it was a great idea.

Warlock
05-01-2007, 04:04 PM
You know, I never played Oblivion and I've been thinking about that. I'm wondering if I should pick up the XB360 version over the PC one. I'm thinking it will be less annoying since it's tuned to the hardware for the 360, but I dunno. My PC hardware is pretty good, but at the same time I can't run Tomb Raider: Legend in full Next-Gen mode without serious lag issues (though I blame some of that on the shitty coding in that game.. I seriously don't think it's optimized). I'm more wondering if giving up mods is worth it. I'm leaning towards yes on that, but I don't know.

I have been reading up on Too Human some more and I am seriously excited for that game, probably moreso now than before. I didn't realize it was based around Norse mythology (but like.. with machine guns). That kicks ass. Can't wait for that to come out - definately picking it up when it does.

War Lord
05-01-2007, 04:09 PM
You know, I never played Oblivion and I've been thinking about that. I'm wondering if I should pick up the XB360 version over the PC one. I'm thinking it will be less annoying since it's tuned to the hardware for the 360, but I dunno. My PC hardware is pretty good, but at the same time I can't run Tomb Raider: Legend in full Next-Gen mode without serious lag issues (though I blame some of that on the shitty coding in that game.. I seriously don't think it's optimized). I'm more wondering if giving up mods is worth it. I'm leaning towards yes on that, but I don't know.

I have been reading up on Too Human some more and I am seriously excited for that game, probably moreso now than before. I didn't realize it was based around Norse mythology (but like.. with machine guns). That kicks ass. Can't wait for that to come out - definately picking it up when it does.

Oblivion is great. I figured you had played it on PC so I didn't suggest it. I didn't play far on my PC, and my PC ran it great on high. The 360 version however I have over 70 hours invested between my save and my friend's save. You can still download the important add-ons via the marketplace so to me, it isn't a huge loss.

Cloral
05-01-2007, 04:50 PM
The gamer score is to let me know how much better I am than Mott. Really nothing else. Actually it is a great system, other than bragging rights. I find myself playing games much longer than I normally would after or during the course of beating it, just to unlock all there is. MS did a fantastic job implementing that and it was a great idea.

One of the things I really like about gamerscore is it is a way to earn something of "value" at the end of the game. For instance, most RPGs these days have some uber-hard dungeon you can go do after the end of the main storyline. At the end they usually give you some really strong weapon or artifact or something, but since you just finished the hardest thing in the game, what's the point? What are you ever going to use that weapon on? This way, they give you a 100 point achievement that increases your gamerscore. Plus, anyone who looks at your online profile can look and see that you earned that specific achievement, allowing you to show off your skills to the community.

MottZilla
05-01-2007, 05:14 PM

Funny, it never seems that way when we play Gears or Street Fighter together. ;)

I suppose the achievements are pretty nice, but some games have ridiculus achievements or you are so tired of them you don't want to bother earning them. Either way I'll have "Seriously" before WarLord and that's all that counts.

War Lord
05-01-2007, 05:19 PM
I do need to step up my GOW online achievements soon. It just sucks that you can't earn them via player matches.

MottZilla
05-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Nah it's better that way. I told them to do it that way so it'd be harder for you to get achievements.

Warlock
05-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Ok, I played the Dead Rising demo again - MUCH more fun if you don't trigger a cutscene. I think I'm definately going to pick that one up, I just need to see if I can find a good price on it. Any game that lets you wail on Zombies with an electric guitar is ok in my book :D

Edit: Does anyone know of a site that previews gamer pics/themes? I checked Xbox.com and they have *some* but it's clearly missing stuff. For example, it had none of the CV:SotN stuff on there, despite the fact I'm using the SotN theme right now (which I actually bought on accident - I thought it was the game :P Oh well).

Cloral
05-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Geesh WL, I thought my 3160 gamerscore wasn't that bad, but you've got over 8000. Guess I'd better get crackin'.

Warlock
05-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Ha, they finally made my GamerTag:
http://profile.mygamercard.net/WarlockSoL

But I don't know how to get the image version - maybe that's in the e-mail (which I can't read right now).

I don't know why they put Doom on there tho, that's only the demo :P Oh well.

Edit: Ok, I cheated and figured it out on my own by looking at the URL of others :P

Cloral
05-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Demos show up the same as the full version on your played game list. You can't get any achievement points for them though.

War Lord
05-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Geesh WL, I thought my 3160 gamerscore wasn't that bad, but you've got over 8000. Guess I'd better get crackin'.

I didn't seriously start working on my score until a month or two ago. It is just a number, but I find myself playing more and more games just for that score, so it is beneficial.
I should be close to 10k tonight.

All I see you playing is Halo 2 or Tony Hawk. I believe you also have no achievements for MLB 2k7, which I thought was weird. I guess if you work on it though you don't particularly want to play for those.

Warlock
05-02-2007, 04:44 PM
I believe you also have no achievements for MLB 2k7, which I thought was weird. I guess if you work on it though you don't particularly want to play for those.

lol I noticed that too

Pineconn lolz
05-02-2007, 05:17 PM
I doubt you're really into the xbox scene yet, but, IMO, stay away from microtransactions. Its a long, heated debate, but basically, its boils down to this: The more you buy, the more you have to spend later. You may have heard of the recent struggle Epic had with MS...

(yes, I know this is vague and cryptic, but I don't feel like typing)

Cloral
05-02-2007, 06:31 PM
All I see you playing is Halo 2 or Tony Hawk. I believe you also have no achievements for MLB 2k7, which I thought was weird. I guess if you work on it though you don't particularly want to play for those.

True, I tend to get enough of it at work. Though I am participating in an online league with some of my co-workers. I've played one game of it thus far and lost, though the guy who beat me was the one who won the in-office tournament, so I didn't exactly expect to win.

I checked over our lists, and it looks like we don't have a lot of games in common. I think the only one was Gears of War, which I haven't exactly played a whole lot. Maybe I should give it another go.

bigjoe
05-02-2007, 09:05 PM
I just got my 360 a few days ago, and am enjoying it,even though I suck HORRIBLY at Gears of War, but Im getting better. Ill be able to get on Xbox Live again as soon as the other trailer is fixed, then I can put the chainsaw through yall's asses.. seeing as, you know, thats about the only thing Im good at. :rolleyes:

Warlock
05-03-2007, 02:35 PM
I played both Contra and Turtles online last night - OMG was that fun. Contra is awesome with two ppl - you just blaze through it (but the random person I got teamed with kinda sucked, he died on the third level). Turtles is also a ton of fun, but hard with only 20 continues. I only made it to the skateboard level :(

War Lord
05-03-2007, 02:43 PM
We should play some contra and turtles. Perhaps mott could get in on the turtles as well. I still have some achievements I need for both.

Warlock
05-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Yeah that would be fun. I don't know if I'll be on tonight or not though, I may be on WoW. But yeah, I still need a bunch of the multiplayer achievements. I think I got all of the single player ones for Contra (plus the 100,000 pts in MP), other than "beat it with one credit" which is damn impossible in single player.

Oh, I also bought Ms. Pacman. Amazingly easy achievements on that tho :P Although I don't like the later levels where the power pellets don't even do anything. That's crazy (but at least it lets you continue from the last level you beat).

War Lord
05-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Clearly your 360 is a superior choice to WOW.
I hope yo do the right thing.

I have a game time card for Wow I have never activated because of my 360.

I know most people don't, but I prefer Pac-Man to Ms. Pac-Man. Glad you're enjoying the arcade though. Definitely a great feature.

Warlock
05-03-2007, 02:51 PM
lol, well we are running Karazhan tonight and they might need my Rogue for Shade of Aran. :P But hopefully not ;)

Last night I was up until friggin' 3am playing SotN too :D I never really played that except once on an emulator. It's such a great game - especially the music. Though the "enhanced graphics" are just terrible - I had to turn those off. Smooth filter != enhanced. Especially when you can't read the damn text or the map.

And yeah, I like Ms. Pacman the best because it's just a better designed game :P The ghosts actually have AI instead of moving in specific paths. I actually got hooked on it one summer when I was staying at a college for some summer program they were doing (this was when I was still deciding schools) and they had the arcade machine there. I was even browsing the internet for tips back then and came across a cool article about the creation of the game and how all the AI works, etc. I believe it was actually made by the same guy who created the Mortal Kombat series.

Warlock
05-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Well, Xbox took it upon itself to download Settlers of Catan trial for me. So I finally tried it out last night. After the first match I bought the damn thing. It is so friggin' fun. I was up until 4am playing it. God damn it's hard though - I still can't beat it on Moderate (though it's rediculously easy on easy). Usually the damn CPU players crowd me out so I have absolutely nowhere I can build more settlements, then once I get like 7 points they stop trading with me entirely so I can't get resources.. it's crazy.

Beldaran
05-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Man, I thought I was the only one addicted to Ms. Pac Man. =D

I bought it for my GBA so that I could play it when standing in line, in car trips etc... (in class?) I really suck and cannot get past the third level set. The ghosts just go insanely fast, are super smart, and the pellets do nothing. :(

Warlock
05-16-2007, 10:57 AM
I picked up Oblivion and Crackdown last night. Both are a lot of fun (though Oblivion kind of starts out slow.. but hey, Cpt. Picard!)

I heard there is a huge bug in Crackdown with the DLC though. I guess running co-op games has a chance of deleting all your saves. Lovely. So I guess I won't be playing co-op until they fix that ;p Does anyone know if there is a way to backup your save data on the hard drive? I might want to do that. I'm also curious if you can start multiple games in Crackdown without overwriting the original one (I haven't checked yet, but my little brother wants to play and I don't want him playing my guy :P)

Cloral
05-16-2007, 04:02 PM
I guess that's why you didn't respond to my message. :)

I read that a) the bug only occurs if you're playing in Keys to the City mode (which makes sense since saves are disabled in that mode), and b) once you've restarted the game after the update the bug won't happen at all. So I don't think it's something to be really worried about.