PDA

View Full Version : What's going to happen to ZC when Stencyl is done?

Nimono
04-29-2007, 08:23 PM
This question has been bugging me for a while... The people over at Stencyl want a Zelda kit that will have everything ZC has, plus more. Unfortunately, they seem to WANT ZC to die because of their silly little kit. If they make it, what's going to happen to ZC? Is it just going to be discontinued, or is it still going to be worked on? I don't want to see ZC die, but I'm getting sick of all those people in with Stencyl trying to get everything from ZC (even the freaking QUESTS!) put into their Zelda kit and trying to kill ZC... They just don't care anymore since the stable release isn't coming out soon... I'm nearly enraged because of this...

Revfan9
04-29-2007, 08:39 PM
I'll tell you exactly what is going to happen:

First, some people may be attracted to Stencyl and leave ZC for good. However, these will just be little nooblets that nobody here actually cares about. Some, more experienced users will try out Stencyl, but will then run right back to ZC after realizing how much Stencyl utterly sucks as a game designer.

KingOfHeart
04-29-2007, 08:40 PM
I'm KingOfHeart from thegaminguniverse, and stencyl. Stencyl isn't trying to kill zelda classic, just make zelda kits.

As far as I know stencly wasn't trying to take a Zquest, but a member who worked with Zelda Classic wants to create a new quest as close as he can to his Zquest.

Quote from the member who wants to have his Zquest on stencyl.

I'm looking forward to the Zelda kit. I'm going to recreate and also finish the Zelda games I started with Zelda Classic.

Lotus_Eater
04-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Uhm, if you are refing to my post on Stencyl, about porting DFW's quests, that was mostly sarcasm, the only one who should ever do such a thing would be her.
And no one wants ZC to die, I started with ZC, and while I have grown frustrated with it sometimes, why would I want to see it die? It's like saying I want my NES to die because it doesn't always play my games and I also have a SNES.
No one is taking anything from ZC, yes, we have asked some of the spriters who work with ZC to join us and help make us a tileset or porribly import one of their other ones, but that is because we do not plan to package any ripped graphics in Stencyl Kits if we can help it.
My reasons for wanting to do a Stencyl Kit is mostly to be able to make games that ZC simply cannot support, now for games that it can support, I would consider using ZC, but it just doesn't cut the cake for me.

EDIT: Also the Zelda Kit is unnofficial, my work on Stencyl officially is limited to Mana Sword, anything beyond that is simply me working on my lonesome, and it won't even be coming for a year or so.

Later,
Lotus (Glenn on Stencyl)

metziel
04-29-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm metziel from Stencyl, and I'm here to post the team's "official" opinion on a Zelda Kit inside Stencyl.

First, the Stencyl team is not officially making a Zelda Kit to work with Stencyl. The team has its hands full just working on the engine and editor, and at this point, we additionally have no plans to pursue a Zelda kit in the future. Individual members of the Stencyl team have decided to create such a Kit because they feel that their Zelda experience would be improved by such a Kit. Essentially, it is their own side project that will tie in with their primary work on Stencyl.

I'd now like to tackle some of these quotes.

Unfortunately, they seem to WANT ZC to die because of their silly little kit.
Untrue; again, the Stencyl team is not affiliated with a Zelda kit. We, additionally, are not looking to specifically target any game maker. We are making the best game maker we can, and if it happens to become the best Zelda game maker, so much the better.

I'm getting sick of all those people in with Stencyl trying to get everything from ZC (even the freaking QUESTS!) put into their Zelda kit and trying to kill ZC
This is a little more fair, since you refer to "people in with Stencyl." I cannot speak for every member of our forums, but we are most certainly not trying to make a concerted effort to "knock out" ZC.

Stencyl utterly sucks as a game designer. I like flamebait as much as the next person, but I don't believe you've tried it.

DarkFlameWolf
04-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Uhm, if you are refing to my post on Stencyl, about porting DFW's quests, that was mostly sarcasm, the only one who should ever do such a thing would be her.

Indeed, and if they did, I hope they would have the decency to ask me first.

Lotus_Eater
04-29-2007, 09:09 PM
I wouldn't even ask you DFW, I would ask you to do it, there is no way I or anyone else could do justice to your quests we all know that.

And yeah, metziel has it right. Zelda is not official, I will be working on it in my free time, and it is not ZC, it will not be meant for Z1 stuff, but made for something else. What? Well I am not sure, it depends on where Mana Sword goes, it will probably be very similar as that is what I am basing it off.

Petoe
04-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Uh, maybe I have been living under a rock but what the heck is Stencyl? A game editor like ZQuest? I cannot find any info of this Stencyl. Are people who develop the Stencyl capable and skillful? Is Stencyl as easy to use as ZC?
I'm just getting sick and tired of ZC and it's bugginess so a new stable game maker would be like a dream come true for me...

Eliwood
04-29-2007, 09:21 PM
Let's take this from the horse's mouth. As Stencyl's creator, I'd also like to request that this thread be closed or moved after my reply because Stencyl has no business around here. If you're into this sort of thing, you'll certainly hear about it at other venues soon enough.

Point #1 - Stencyl has nothing to do with ZC!

Nadda. Nothing. I don't see where the connection was drawn. We're not pursuing a Zelda kit. Only the fans are, and I don't see how we can be held accountable for something the fans do. I personally have no interest in doing something that's already done to death.

Point #2 - We aren't here to "destroy" projects.

What is up with this obsession over destroying ZC? I don't get it. The notion of "destroying" a project is about on the same level as fanboyism and console wars, which is to say, low and unnecessary.

In the end, we're all here to make games, and the fact that there are alternatives and extra ways to make games should be something to applaud, not something to decry.

As a console analogy, it would be like people buying a Wii alongside an XBox 360. People have a right to use what they want, and just because someone uses Stencyl doesn't mean that they'll stop using ZC. They're completely different beasts.

- Jon

Majora
04-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Just as Peteo, I must also be living under a rock. How does Stencyl work? Is it one of those programs where it's like 90% scripting/code writing?

Well, regardless, I will stick with ZC no matter what. Admittedly it's as Eliwood said, "Fanboyism". But I will just throw this analogy out there:

I hate the PS and dislike the 360. Stencyl sounds like it would be a PS3 thing, while ZC is the Gamecube/Wii. Can you see where I'm going with this? I have a habit of making unclear/confusing analogy's so if you have no frickin clue what I'm talking about, ignore this post.

Lotus_Eater
04-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Firstly, it isn't done, won't be for a while, an Alpha will be out fairly soon (give it a month or so)
Now I would love to answer a bucnh of technical questions, but that is Eliwoods dept. But I can say making something from the confines of a kit is very easy. Beyond that, I can't say much yet, haven't had much time to tinker with other stuff.

Eliwood
04-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Just as Peteo, I must also be living under a rock. How does Stencyl work? Is it one of those programs where it's like 90% scripting/code writing?

Well, regardless, I will stick with ZC no matter what. Admittedly it's as Eliwood said, "Fanboyism". But I will just throw this analogy out there:

I hate the PS and dislike the 360. Stencyl sounds like it would be a PS3 thing, while ZC is the Gamecube/Wii. Can you see where I'm going with this? I have a habit of making unclear/confusing analogy's so if you have no frickin clue what I'm talking about, ignore this post.

The analogy was a bit quickly drafted and wasn't meant to actually refer to the console's capabilities. All I was getting across was that it's unfair to think that each console is mutually exclusive in userbases. They overlap. Just because someone owns a 360 doesn't mean that they won't pick up a Wii.

Along the same lines, people will continue to, and will always use ZC even if they use Stencyl for other things that ZC can't do because it wasn't designed to do those things.

- Jon

Pineconn
04-29-2007, 09:53 PM
As Stencyl's creator, I'd also like to request that this thread be closed or moved after my reply because Stencyl has no business around here.

I would like to request that everyone on the forums gives me $1,000,000.

In seriousness: There was a misinterpretation that Stencyl wanted to steal the thunder of Zelda Classic. We don't want that you to steal our userbase, and you don't want us to steal your userbase.

They overlap. Just because someone owns a 360 doesn't mean that they won't pick up a Wii.

Sometimes. I'm all Nintendo, darn it. ;)

ShadowTiger
04-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Honestly, I'm not really sure how a project can arise, and actually say that it's stealing the attention without looking like the bad guys itself. (Assuming "bad guys" is even a functional term here. Frankly, I just don't care. > <.)

There's just no reason to be concerned here. Both projects are completely independent entities. There's no way that you can "steal" someone's attention unless you're completely lazy and only can be bothered to stick to one community. If there's no plan to make a zelda fankit, then you have only the fans to blame. The Stencyl folks are all wonderful people with the same goals in mind as the ZC Crew. Have respect for them as you would the ZC Devs; they only want to make people like you happy.