PDA

View Full Version : ...so they have deteriorated to this level...

King Aquamentus
04-29-2007, 02:59 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/28/uk-paper-sony-beheaded-goat-to-promote-god-of-war-ii/

Darth Marsden
04-29-2007, 09:22 AM
...yeah. I'd rather wait for this to be properly confirmed - there's a fair bit of doubt, since the Daily Mail (who first reported this) haven't been the most reliable newspaper in the world - but even so... woah.

Gerudo
04-29-2007, 02:10 PM
How can people believe this shit when there's an exact quote from the article that goes:

Neither one of the linked stories has a date.
When a story doesn't have a date, I think it really shouldn't be believed. I mean c'mon, if you're gonna make something up, make up a date to go with it.

Even though Sony has proven itself in the past to be full of shit, I sincerely doubt they would risk the severe backlash from an alleged stunt such as this. More than likely it's some second-rate newspaper trying to cash in on the aforementioned statement (Sony being full of shit).

Aegix Drakan
04-29-2007, 02:30 PM
I doubt this is true...Sony's marketing team can't be THAT stupid! ...Can it?

>_> If it is true though, PETA and the SPCA will be up their asses in a matter of seconds. And then somebody is gonna get fired.

Whatever. Now Microsoft is going to try and top that by harpooning a whale and Nintendo is going to build a no kill pet shelter.

XD This is gold!

Kairyu
04-29-2007, 06:10 PM
It's A Tabloid Newspaper

King Aquamentus
04-29-2007, 08:32 PM
it's a gaming website.

Glenn the Great
04-29-2007, 08:53 PM
Topless women and a decapitated goat!

I'd have loved to have been there, but I wouldn't have reached in the goat or eaten anything from it.

Pineconn lolz
04-29-2007, 09:10 PM
http://kotaku.com/gaming/god-of-war/sony-decapitates-goat-raises-ire-256198.php

it looks pretty real to me.

Majora
04-29-2007, 10:02 PM
(Assuming it's true)

Wow.... so many emotions running through me.... mainly the urge to literally roll on the floor laughing till I die and then some.... I am.... at a loss for words.... I feel like.... talking like those kids........ in the moon from ......MM.

Wow, just.... wow.....

Darth Marsden
04-30-2007, 07:49 AM
Still not convinced, I'm afraid.

redmage777
04-30-2007, 02:08 PM
I work at a Magazine distrobution werehouse, I will make it a point to seek out a copy of the official Playstation magazine. (Its called PSM right?)

Saffith
05-01-2007, 01:24 PM
It's been updated.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/30/sony-explains-god-of-wars-dead-goat-antics/

Sony's senior director of corporate communications, Dave Karakker, told Joystiq that the reporter responsible for the OPSM article didn't even bother to attend the event. The basis of his article was the invitational pamphlet, "which employed a degree of hyperbole in order to encourage attendance."

Furthermore, the infamous goat was thoroughly dead upon arrival. It was procured from a qualified butcher, was returned after the event and was never allowed to be touched by journalists (no kidding around). The goat was filled with "a meat soup, made to a traditional Greek recipe and served to attendees in china bowls direct from the caterers," leaving claims of "offal" as someone likely mishearing a complaint about the actual taste of the dish. No soup came directly from the goat.

"We recognise that the use of a dead goat was in poor taste and fell below the high standards of conduct we set ourselves. We are conducting an enquiry to establish the circumstances behind the event in order to ensure this does not happen again. We also apologise to anyone offended by the article in the OPSM (subscription copies were sent out ahead of street date)." It was undeniably tacky, but hardly the "Phil Harrison bites the head off a chimp and mows down the audience using a Tommy Gun" debacle you may have envisioned before.

Darth Marsden
05-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Ok, now I'm convinced. What the hell were they thinking? That's not cool... not cool at all.

Majora
05-01-2007, 07:53 PM
The expression "shoot themselves in the foot" is irrelevant here. Try "Shooting themselves in the face with a shot gun over and over again"

When will sony stop the BS?

First, PS3

Then something else I can't rememeber, but it was about the europe release.

Then this.

What will come next?

Aegix Drakan
05-01-2007, 10:17 PM
wouldn't it be Ironic if Ken Kutaragi was the mastermind behind this incident?

XD

AtmaWeapon
05-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Honestly I don't get the big deal about it. God of War is an extremely violent game that is set in Ancient Greece. Animal sacrifice was pretty common then and it seems to me the theme isn't that far removed from the game.

Sony didn't go out to a field and lop off some random goat's head. They went to a butcher and purchased a goat. Did any of you guys eat a hamburger last night? Whoever made that hamburger got it from pretty much the same place Sony got this goat.

Seriously I am not exactly a big fan of Sony but the outrage over this event is pretty much an overreaction in my opinion.

Darth Marsden
05-02-2007, 02:49 PM
I think the outrage is more about what seemed to be happening then what actually happened. From what I can tell, it looked as though they were beheading a goat and handing out its entrails. That wasn't the case, but once you get that idea on the internet, that's what everyone automatically thinks, and you're gonna have a hard time changing that.

Even so, it was a bad idea to begin with. Even if the goat was dead before the event, they still got one on display and beheaded it. That's not exactly the sort of thing you promote a game with, no matter how 'appropriate' it is.

And yes, I eat beef, chicken, etc. I'm under no illusion as to where it came from. But at least it wasn't paraded around in public before they carved it up and served it to me in a bun with a cardboard wrapper.

King Aquamentus
05-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Even so, it was a bad idea to begin with. Even if the goat was dead before the event, they still got one on display and beheaded it. That's not exactly the sort of thing you promote a game with, no matter how 'appropriate' it is.

Here you have the core of what happened. Would it have been more of an impact had the goat been alive? sure. If they feasted from its innards? of course. But even with just a dead goat and a beheading, Sony is starting to sound like one of those celebrities who thinks acting like you're crazy gets the good kind of publicity.

Pineconn lolz
05-02-2007, 08:23 PM
It doesn't bother me at all, but I can see where people who are bothered by it are coming from.

AtmaWeapon
05-02-2007, 11:57 PM
But even with just a dead goat and a beheading, Sony is starting to sound like one of those celebrities who thinks acting like you're crazy gets the good kind of publicity.I propose a hypothesis based on the fact that zero-worth individuals such as Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, and Tom Cruise still make the cover of magazines that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

ZTC
05-04-2007, 11:56 AM
lol internet ranting

I take a slight offence to it as I own a few goats; but whatever :shrug:

Aegix Drakan
05-04-2007, 03:00 PM
I take a slight offence to it as I own a few goats; but whatever :shrug:

>_> You own goats? I did not know that...

if you own Goat, then can I have my mind back? I think it's somewhere in his jar...