PDA

View Full Version : Kid writes violent essay, gets arrested.

The_Amaster
04-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Interestign story here (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-070427student-essay,1,7283876.story?coll=chi-news-hed).

I really only have one comment here. I can see getting him out of school, getting him help, all that, but arresting him. Oh yes, what free speech we have. Yes, I know, in the light of VTech, stuff like this is on high alert, but if they set a precedent here, who knows whats next?

Starkist
04-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Next time your teacher tells you to write an essay, without censoring yourself... don't believe them.

Beldaran
04-28-2007, 09:44 PM
English teachers are idiots and I've wanted to kill some of mine too. Maybe I should be arrested.

School is fucking stupid. Society is fucking stupid. The only thing that kid learned is that everyone is a god damned moron and he shouldn't participate in anything.

Every essay should just be five pages of "No comment. I don't want to get in trouble for having a brain and being different." over and over again.

Aegix Drakan
04-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Oy...

Give him serious counseling? YES.
Arrest him on the spot? NO!

...society either does too little, and a disaster happens, or society does too much and causes more harm than good.

-_- It's stuff like the VT shooting and then THIS that remind me why I have no hope for humanity.

Why? Because humans are generally stupid (not all of of them, just the majority) and they are easily corruptible/fooled.

moocow
04-28-2007, 10:22 PM
I'd almost bet that 80% of the reason he was arrested is because he's Asian-American or whatever it's called.

He does have some fuckin issues though.

Cloral
04-29-2007, 12:59 AM
After the Columbine shootings, one of my classmates was taken to the office because he wrote on one of his assignments that he hated the inner bread wrapper (the cellophane-like wrap they put on loaves of bread to keep them fresh until you first open it). He mis-spelled bread as 'bred', and so they thought he hated some guy named 'bred'. Point is, after a major incident like this, people get extra paranoid. In each of these cases the people really needed help and everybody around them missed the warning signs. So the teachers don't want to be responsible for missing the warning signs of the next person about to go psycho, and so they over-react. Though as the wall writers said in responce to the bread wrapper incident, it is probably better to over-react than under-react. But jail in a case like this isn't so much over-reacting as it is just plain stupid. Someone with emotional troubles is only going to be made worse by being put in jail.

Darth Marsden
04-29-2007, 03:39 AM
I love this. It's not an essay, it's a random collection of assorted thoughts. I've written more violent stuff than this, some of it while I was at school. Truth be told, I'm more concerned about the spelling errors than anything else.

Blood sex and Booze. Drugs Drugs Drugs are fun. Stab, Stab, Stab, S…t…a…b…, poke. "So I had this dream last night where I went into a building, pulled out two P90s and started shooting everyone…, then had sex with the dead bodies. Well, not really, but it would be funny if I did." Umm, yeah, what to wright about…… I'm leaving to join the Marines and I really don't give a (obscenity) about my academics, so why does the only class that's complete Bull Shit, happen to be the only required class…enough said. The model citizen would stay around to vote in new board member to change the 4 years of English policy, but no one really stays around to vote for that kind of local crap, so whoever gets there name on the Ballet with a pretty face gets to do what the (obscenity) ever they want with local ordinance. A person is smart, but people are dumb selfish animals. We can't make rules for ourselves so we vote others to do it for us, but we can't even do that right, I meen seriously, Bush for President? And our other option was John Kerry who claimed to parktake in Vietnam Special Forces missions that haven't been declassified….(obscenity) Bull Shit. So Power Flower Super Mario. Pudge, hook, rot, dismember "Fresh Meat." Mostly new/young teachers are laid back, and cooperative with students as feedback and input into the curriculum and atmosphere. My current English teacher is a control freak intent on setting a gap between herself and her students like a 63 year old white male fortune 500 company CEO, and a illegal immigrant. If CG was a private catholic school, I could understand, but wtf is her problem. And baking brownies and rice crispies does not make up for it, way to try and justify yourself as a good teacher while underhandedly looking for complements on your cooking. No quarrel on you qualifications as a writer, but as a teacher, don't be surprised on inspiring the first cg shooting.

(The following is Lee's explanation of the essay above, given to the media by his lawyer.)

Authors Note: This production of writing is done in the most accurate manner I can depict of the original writing. Grammar and spelling mistakes are included at the best accuracy possible. The first phrase in questions is in fact a Green Day song. The second reference to drugs is in relation to the schools history of drug problems. I am personally clean of all controlled substances. The statement in quotes is done so as a non personal statement as I would have done in reference to a character for a story. The reference to the gun P90 is from a video game, combined with a reference to necrophilia as a comment regarding a seriously messed up situation. A situation such as the rape of villagers during a raid by U.S. troops in Vietnam. I really do not care too much about by continuing academia as in relation to grades. I do however believe on continuing my personal education, and I am actually still working for my classes. My views on the graduation requirements explain themselves. The reference to Mario and Pudge (a DOTA character) are completely random as is this essay. The reference to a person being smart and people being dumb is based on a quote from "Men in Black." I generally do believe the public opinion is best. The rest of the essay is rather self explanatory, the main statement in question I have already released a comment online about. I request that all information I have released is read together, and nothing given separately or as an excerpt as the administration has seen fit to do.

On an additional note, I have completed the MEPS (Military Entry Processing Station) examinations, and yes a psychiatric evaluation is included in the process. If I'm qualified to defend the country, I believe I'm qualified to attend school.

Pineconn
04-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Then you probably didn't read the [assignment (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-070426writing-photo,1,201388.photo?coll=chi-news-hed&ctrack=2&cset=true)]. ;)

He definitely followed the guidelines. I wonder what he would have gotten on the paper.

Pineconn lolz
04-29-2007, 02:03 PM
I wonder what he would have gotten on the paper.

Golly! Lets sit and speculate about it for a few hours! Time will just fly by!

http://my.opera.com/Sabrina3363/homes/albums/23171/00059~Golly-That-Was-Fun-Posters.jpg

Pineconn
04-29-2007, 06:12 PM
I wonder what that picture is really supposed to mean. Let's see, she's in a bed... ;)

Pineconn lolz
04-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Heh, it was the first thing that came up when I put "golly!" into google image search :)

AlexMax
04-30-2007, 12:33 AM
High school is not the place for trying to be controversial. You trudge through it, get your bullshit high school diploma along with the rest of the mouthbreething morons who have no business with any sort of academic certification, and hope you have the means to get into college where your professors teach you how to think critically.

Pineconn lolz
04-30-2007, 09:09 PM
High school is not the place for trying to be controversial. You trudge through it, get your bullshit high school diploma along with the rest of the mouthbreething morons who have no business with any sort of academic certification, and hope you have the means to get into college where your professors teach you how to think critically.

You, sir, are being condescending and stereotypical. To say highschool is a waste is stupid, and the only people who say that are failures and people who don't pay attention.

Aegix Drakan
04-30-2007, 09:44 PM
...I actually agree with Lolz here.

sure, my high school experience was more or less a waste, IMHO, but...I did learn some important stuff (which I've probably forgotten by now, though XD)

The_Amaster
04-30-2007, 09:56 PM
I don't know. My high school certainly seems to be stupid. Despite being a school I learn far less there than I do independantly, and it seems only to impede my learning. I'd much rather be somewhere where I don't have to bother with repeatign the same thing I've learned over and over five time.

Pineconn
04-30-2007, 10:49 PM
When you find a school like that, give me a call. I'll move there.

The point that I've gathered is that it is stereotyped that school is... crappy. Sure, there are those people who you would see on TV for random felonies and lethal assaults, but then there are the bright/active/make-a-difference people. :sleep: