PDA

View Full Version : Mayhap we need an Item Family Editor?

_L_
04-28-2007, 04:24 AM
Currently, my item editing enhancements allow one to create several different swords and things. But a significant limitation remains: you can still only hold in your inventory one item per item family. Certainly, you can choose to make an item downgrade or upgrade to a different familial item given certain conditions, but you can't, say, wield two swords at the same time.

There needs, perchance, to be a way to duplicate item families.

That is: to take an unused item family, and declare it to use the same behaviour as a hard-coded item family. That way, even more varieties for custom weapons become apparant. For example, in addition to the standard sword, you could also select one which is significantly weaker but always produces sword beams. Or, possessing both the standard hookshot and a longer one that uses magic.

It should be noted, though, that in the hands of an insufficiently prescient quest builder, this may produce the "Golf Clubs syndrome" that oft plagues many RPGs and certain Castlevania games, or so it is claimed. But that is the burden of freedom: to know how not to use it.

The_Amaster
04-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Interesting. Possibly each family has a basic icon on the subscreen, and selecting it opens a sub menu with all the options?

How complex would this be to implement? Pre or post 2.5?

ShadowTiger
04-28-2007, 12:24 PM
This may produce the "Golf Clubs syndrome" that oft plagues many RPGs and certain Castlevania games, or so it is claimed. I Googled it (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Golf+Clubs+Syndrome%22&btnG=Google+Search), ... Care to elaborate? :blah:

I wish I could remember the thread in which I stated the sheer variety of weaponry we could have; everything from slow halberds with considerable range and damage to the tiny dirk that we could stab a near-infinite amount of times a second, dealing low damage per stab, yet a tremendous damage over time, depending on how fast you press the button, to that hammer that knocks enemies back at their present rate, whereas all other weapons have lessened knockback to make it seem more "realistic."

THAT is what we need. Once we have that, everything else is possible.

_L_
04-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Golf Clubs syndrome (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/msg/65e6cfb1a1876fa7?dmode=source) is more of a D&D-ism. It's occasionally used in rec.games.roguelike.nethack.

Editing a weapon's knockback... hmm, neat.

*b*
04-28-2007, 02:10 PM
So, this is an awesome idea. I actually had an idea along these lines yesterday

Could this, possibly, be used to make items that limit the amount of keys you can carry, just like wallets and bomb bags?

ShadowTiger
04-28-2007, 05:27 PM
So, this is an awesome idea. I actually had an idea along these lines yesterdayWell then help support it with as much vigor as the idea deserves. :p We can have something amazing here! We could turn ZC into a makeshift Diablo if we're ambitious enough once we have inventory and sword manipulation!

Could this, possibly, be used to make items that limit the amount of keys you can carry, just like wallets and bomb bags?I'm not sure if this counts, but check under "Counter Reference" under #5 on This page (http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23843&st=0). I really hope it actually relates. I mean we can *expand* the limit, but not really set one, I'd think. Maybe we could reduce it or something, but then what would happen to keys we already have? Would we lose them, or would we just not be able to use them until after we get an expanded "keyring?" Or maybe they would just drop down into the slots the other keys had used, which doesn't make a lick of sense, as that's technically the present behavior, unless you're referring to Level-Specific keys, ... ... which ... ... just makes me dizzy. I'm going to go lie down over by the water cooler now.

Editing a weapon's knockback... hmm, neat. Link Could Shieldbash an enemy.
An enemy could shieldbash Link.

When a Gel touches Link, it could either drool acid on him or jump into him. One causes knockback, the other wouldn't. Certainly something to think about if we're indeed thinking about realism here, because as it stands, enemies that don't shoot just kinda walk around into you. (If they're walkers.)

_L_
04-29-2007, 12:04 AM
A "Keyring" item, you say...

ShadowTiger
04-29-2007, 12:08 AM
It's an odd concept here, really. If Link just shoves any random key he finds into his backpack, ... ... well, ... think about the actual concept of a key! It has a unique lock to it! What TLOZ seems to be employing is a way of just opening random doors with nondescript metallic things! There is noooo Keyring whatsoever in TLOZ, as far as I can tell.

beefster09
04-29-2007, 03:10 PM
I think it would be great to have an item class editor.

BTW: would it be possible to have a duplicate sword class where you get a level 4/5 "sword" that is weaker than the level 1 sword on the default class? (for a card key or something) Would you have the option to choose one or the other? (as a player) Would it trigger L4/5 flags?

DarkFlameWolf
04-29-2007, 04:54 PM
but the fact remains, how much further will this push 2.5 back? Or is this something reserved for AFTER 2.5?

_L_
05-02-2007, 10:16 AM
everything from slow halberds with considerable range and damage to the tiny dirk that we could stab a near-infinite amount of times a second,

Hast ye been playing a certain game called La Mulana lately?

But to your point: accelerating or decelerating the sword slash's speed seems possible, but if one consults this topic (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=96935), you'll see that there just aren't any more Misc. values left in the Sword's data structure. Y'think I should... (gasp, splutter)... add another misc. variable? (And just when I got the Item Editor dialog elements all nice and lined up, too...)