PDA

View Full Version : My Tomb Raider Legend review

vegeta1215
04-24-2007, 06:37 PM
I wrote this review for Amazon.com a while back after completing the game, and I wanted to share it with everyone because I think it is a really fun game that may have been overlooked.

Tomb Raider: Legend is the first Tomb Raider game on a Nintendo console, and happens to be the first Tomb Raider game I've ever played. I read about the game for a while, and decided to try it out now that it's (finally) come to the Gamecube. I could write a REALLY lengthy review describing all the facets of the gameplay, but for that kind of detailed info I would suggest going to IGN and watching their video review. I will say some things though.

Despite not being as powerful as other consoles, TR: Legend looks great on the Gamecube. My only complaint is that the game is very dark sometimes, and for whatever reason, there is no option to adjust the brightness in this version. The music and sounds are good and fit their environments. The voice acting especially impressed me - it's really well done and helps to flesh out the characters, esp Lara. (some of the dialogue is very clever too) The story is simple, but it works.

As you explore the different locals and progress in the story, you are gonna be doing a lot of running, jumping, rope/wall climbing, puzzle solving, dodging traps, shooting bad guys, etc. The acrobatic parts of the game remind me of the Prince of Persia trilogy, albeit not quite as fluid. (don't get me wrong, it all works great though) In the game you will also be treated to some interactive cut-scenes (similar to Resident Evil 4), which were very fun.

The game has 3 modes of difficulty (easy, normal, and hard), so no matter how good you are at games, you will be able to enjoy this. Some of the puzzles may stump you, but not so much that you will want to give up. For the average gamer I would say the game is about 10-15 hours in length. I'm a veteran gamer and it took me about 12 hours or so to beat the main game.

Even after you beat the game, there's plenty to do. You can replay the levels after you beat them, and continue searching for the bronze/silver/gold statues hidden throughout the levels that you may have missed the first time through. Finding these unlocks bonus content like artwork, character profiles, and outfits for Lara. There is also a Time Trial for each level - beating those is a greater challenge that will earn you even more extras. There is also a "bonus" level that has you searching for treasures in the Croft Mansion. Getting all the extras will easily add a few hours more to the game.

Wow, I didn't really intend to write so much, but I just really enjoyed this game. At a budget price there's no reason to pass this up. Go pick up Tomb Raider: Legend on the Gamecube. Hopefully if enough people do, Eidos will continue to make Tomb Raider games for Nintendo platforms, which is what I'm hoping for.

The same team that created Tomb Raider Legend is remaking the original Tomb Raider for PS2, PSP and Windows. It's called Tomb Raider Anniversary, and it will play in the same style as Legend. I enjoyed Legend so much I almost want to buy a PS2 to play Anniversary.

I'm curious to hear from others who have played this game, so if you have, chime in.

MottZilla
04-24-2007, 07:08 PM
I bought it with my 360. It was a decent game, but eventually I'd played it enough and sold it. The graphics were pretty sharp for the 360 at the time. It did in a way remind me of Prince of Persia. It's just so sad that after Sands of Time they followed up with a mediocre sequel and then presumably another. After playing a bit of the one after Sands of Time, I was pretty put off.

Yoshiman
04-24-2007, 09:04 PM
This game did actually pique my intrest a bit. I may rent it when I get the chance. However, I'm not too sure which version would be best. I do own all 3 consoles (GCN, PS2, and Xbox), but the only version I would stay away from is the PS2 one, since my memory card is just about full.

Graphics aren't really a huge deal to me, but they are nice to have. Are there any major differences, or are they basically just the same game?

Darth Marsden
04-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Yoshiman: As far as I'm aware, the XBox360 version is a the prettiest, but failing that, the original XBox version would be the one to go for...

I picked it up for the PC just after it came out, since it was only £20. My only regrets are that it took up so much space on my hard drive, it was so short and that a level editor hasn't been released for it yet :(

Looking forward to the new/old/whatever one. I can't play the originals these days - Prince of Persia has shown me a better way of life and the old TR games simply can't compare.

Warlock
04-25-2007, 04:34 PM
The PC version is potentially the prettiest if you have the hardware to support next gen mode. But the requirements for that are pretty steep. Regular mode still looks pretty decent though, and will probably look better than any of the other versions other than Xbox 360 (which essentially runs in next gen mode automatically)

But ya, out of those three only, get Xbox. That's always going to be your best looking version of just about any game for the last-gen systems. PS2 is always going to look the worst :P

P.S. - don't expect a level editor Darth

Darth Marsden
04-25-2007, 05:56 PM
What, not even a fan-made one? ;)

I'm not expecting one. Just like I'm not expecting one for the Prince of Persia trilogy. I'd just be nice, is all.

vegeta1215
04-26-2007, 07:01 AM
My friend has the X-Box 360 version of Tomb Raider Legend, and I got a chance to play it a bit. Although there are some nice graphical effects in the 360, I found them all to be very distracting. (I think you may be able to turn off the "next gen" graphics in the 360 version like you can in the PC version though) If you have all three "last gen" consoles, the X-Box version will look the prettiest for sure, but I don't know how comfortable it is to play on that controller.

As for Prince of Persia, yeah Sands of Time is the best, and it started it all, but Warrior Within and Two Thrones as such great games too. They lack the certain charm that Sands had, but both are worthy sequels, esp Warrior Within, which aside from some annoying sound glitches (I never hit any game ending glitches), is a much fuller game overall. Plus I just love time travel stuff. I think it gets a really bad rap, undeservingly so.

Nicholas Steel
04-26-2007, 08:51 AM
don't ever get a ps2 ! games suck so badly on it when compared to a xbox =\ have you seen "need for speed most wanted" on the ps2? it lags and has a severe loss of frame rate etc. and im 99% certain none of this is encountered on the xbox version (if there is one) but i can definably say that they could have toned the graphics down and removed ALL reflections to get the frame rate up.. because i got it on teh pc and i have to turn off car reflections for it to run 100% lag free.

Darth Marsden
04-26-2007, 08:55 AM
vegeta1215: I always liked Two Thrones best. It took the best of the previous games and improved it just that little bit. I really liked the section where you're climbing the tower right at the end - what combat there is takes a matter of seconds (you have the water sword, so instant kills ahoy!) and you pretty much just focus on climbing. Great stuff.

franpa: If a game is available on consoles and PC, the PC version is almost certainly going to be the better option. Of the consoles, the XBox had the best graphics in games, the Gamecube had the most fun games (:p) and the PS2 just had the most games, full stop. I haven't got an XBox (no games I want for it), but I have a PS2 and Gamecube, and at a casual glance, games that are on both consoles (Tony Hawks, Timesplitters, Extreme G) aren't that different graphics-wise. 'course, I haven't played any 'Need for Speed' games, so...

vegeta1215
05-15-2007, 07:54 PM
An article popped up on IGN today that made me very happy. Eidos is making Tomb Raider: Anniversary for Wii! Check it out! http://wii.ign.com/articles/788/788338p1.html

Again, go buy Tomb Raider Legend for the Gamecube and get a taste of the revamped series.

Warlock
05-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Yeah I was really surprised by that. I guess they needed more crap to throw on Wii and figured this game would work well. I guess at the very least, it's not a "last gen game with wii controls tacked on"

Darth Marsden
05-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Have you actually read that article? It bodes a lot better then you seem to suggest it does.

Warlock
05-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Have you actually read that article? It bodes a lot better then you seem to suggest it does.

Yeah, I've read it. I'm not saying they are doing this half-assed. Just that Eidos obviously needed Wii support (because Wii is hot right now), so this probably seemed like a good project to do it with.

And I'm also saying, at least in this case they are not taking a game that's already 2 years old, porting it over, and slapping on half-assed wii controls (i.e. Prince of Persia, Godfather, etc - though I hear Godfather actually plays great with the Wii controls).