PDA

View Full Version : Recovery of Corrupted Quest File

C-Dawg
04-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Had to happen sooner or later.

My computer crashed while running Zelda Classic. More specifically, I think it crashed during the "Exit" command from Zelda Classic. Now the quest file is corrupted and won't open in either ZC or ZQuest. When running ZC, the program notes that the previous save file is corrupted / in use and prompts me to make a new one.

Hopefully it's just a header issue. Anyone know how to recover the data in the quest file?

DarkDragon
04-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Sure, send it to me and I can try to take a look, although depending on what was corrupted there may not be much I can do.
What's disturbing to me is how the player opened the quest for write access in the first place.

DarkFlameWolf
04-22-2007, 07:08 PM
wow, that'd be a big loss is SD went down.

C-Dawg
04-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Sure, send it to me and I can try to take a look, although depending on what was corrupted there may not be much I can do.
What's disturbing to me is how the player opened the quest for write access in the first place.

Will do. Where can I get your e-mail address?

And nah, it wasnt SD. It was the SideQuest thing Im tinkering with.

DarkDragon
04-23-2007, 02:29 AM
My email address written backwards is ude.ecir@ve

C-Dawg
04-27-2007, 07:20 PM
E-mailed away. Let me know what the prognosis is, Doctor.

DarkDragon
04-28-2007, 02:43 PM
I've received the copy your quest.
I'm out of town this weekend at the Dallas gun show, but will take a look at it upon my return.

C-Dawg
04-30-2007, 09:06 PM
I speculate it's a mere header error, as ZQuest gives me an OK when it loads data, and only errors when it gets to the header.

I hope you didn't get shot at your gun show.

Eliwood
05-01-2007, 01:12 AM

That's puzzling to me too. Has anyone had a look at that portion of the code to verify that?

C-Dawg
05-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Soooo.... how was the gun show? Still interested to know what happened to the Quest file and how ZClassic did it. Or Windows, or whatever.

DarkDragon
05-06-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm very perplexed. The quest file is not loading because ZC can't figure out which encryption method to use to open the file (it has varied over the years.) It looks like most of the quest is there - and the header is correct for a ZC quest file - but attempting to decrypt the file using any of the known encryption keys yields garbage. I'm not sure what to do.

C-Dawg
05-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Well, that's a pain in the ass. Lost a week's worth of mapping and tile editing. Not too bad, though. Any idea what could have caused such a bizarre problem? Did the encryption shift one significant figure or something? Like, a few bits got lost at the beginning, shifting everything down?