PDA

View Full Version : Adware or Viruses in Zelda Classic?

randomloser
04-17-2007, 12:38 AM
Hello,
I played Zelda classic a few years ago and thought it was great. But recently I tried to move the game from my old computer to my new computer, and my anti-virus detected a trojan. I never noticed any problems on the old computer when installing Zelda Classic, but I never had an anti-virus program on that computer, and I know sometimes Trojans, such as keyloggers, can go completely unnoticed and yet still do you harm. I’m asking this because I’d really like to play Zelda Classic again and I have learned there are newer versions, but I won’t dare download anything that has something sneaky in it if I can help it. I am hoping maybe I just got a bad version from somewhere though I don’t remember where I got it from. My antivirus says the name of the Trojan is Startpage-CD, and the file in Zelda Classic is Thank.exe. The version I had was 1.90 . What I’m hoping for its that a lot of people, including some who know a lot about viruses and such, can assure me that getting the newest version of Zelda Classic will be perfectly safe and adware free.

Petoe
04-17-2007, 01:22 AM
Oh, newer versions of ZC are definitely virus and adware free, I can guarantee that. Maybe you have downloaded a bad version from some odd place, because the ZC developers would never want to do any harm to people's computers, I'm sure of that.

Gerudo
04-17-2007, 02:01 AM
only download from zeldaclassic.com or purezc.com

imo, those are the two most trustworthy sites for ZC related downloads.

Dark Nation
04-17-2007, 06:34 AM
Petoe is correct. The developers would never distribute bad things to the public via Zelda Classic. If your copy of Zelda Classic has something bad in it, then it was either added by someone else or you were snooping around the servers and grabbed a copy that was clearly not designated for public use. In the case of version 1.9, we had gotten someone to create an installer for ZC and they, without our knowledge or consent, tossed in a program that hijacks your start page.

Mitsukara
04-17-2007, 12:25 PM
In addition to what they've already said, it's possible you caught a virus/trojan that nests itself in certain files. I know the oooold CIH95 virus duplicates itself in various programs' uninstallers for some reason (we had it at one point).

However, I think DN's appraisal is more likely. Just wanted to add a just-in-case thought.

bluedeath
04-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Did nothing to me, only download them from purezc zeldaclassic or the agn forums.

randomloser
04-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Thanks to everyone for replying. Its good to know that ZC is clean. I downloaded 2.10 and can't wait to start playing it again.

Fabiano the Spy
04-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Haha, I like the screename.

About three years ago I ran into the same problem with Zelda Classic. The problem? I didn't download the engine from the official site, I belive I got it from a couple others sites, but I kept getting the same virus flag. The thing is, I never actually got a copy of ZC, but Norton would go off and not let me install "Zelda Classic". I think I got one from http://www.acid-planet.com or something like that, so if the url is dead, forgive me.

Yeah, but as stated above, ZC downloaded from the official site is clean, no worries. It'll always stay clean, as well ;)