PDA

View Full Version : Inns

Joe123
04-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Is there a way I can simulate an Inn in 2.10 by charging you to walk to the top of the screen, and then putting a fairy flag in the next room? I think I saw it done somewhere before, could have been MM: DWR. I tried doing it with pay for info room types, but it doesn't take the invisible wall away like I thought it would

AmazingAmpharos
04-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Try using a money or life room, and cover up the life option. The only problem is that one purchase would grant you perpetual access.

Joe123
04-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Oh, that's not much good, but thanks anyway.
At the moment, I'm using an item that I don't need to use, which I've given a blank sprite, and made it into a shop. Works quite well, just when you pay the character does the holding up item pose, which isn't so bad really - I'd just prefer him not to

LinkMaster500
04-18-2007, 01:01 AM
I figured it out. Here's what I did:

Use "Shop" as the room type and when you set the three possible items, use "Misc 1" for the first item (and designate a price, of course), then leave the other two spots blank. Then in the upper part of the same screen, place the fairy flags.

The other thing I did is to use a custom screen for the inn and not Screen 80.

Joe123
04-18-2007, 12:01 PM
well yeah, I have a different Dmap for the Inn. I have the bow as the item, as I'm not using it in the quest, so it just has a blank graphic. It works quite well

Aegix Drakan
04-18-2007, 12:07 PM
You could also use the Misc1 or Misc2 items. They serve no function, so you can use those without worry.

LinkMaster500
04-18-2007, 09:36 PM
The Misc 1 or 2 also work if you want to make mini-games. With that make a shop just like for inns, so that the player has to pay every time he wants to play.

Pineconn
04-18-2007, 09:40 PM
What I did for my inns was set up the room as a Feed the Goriya room. Then I made custom "inn pass" tiles and set them up in place of the meat or whatever the bait is set to. So if you want to enter the inn, you buy the inn pass from someone, then show it to the person and s/he will let you pass. It works quite well, IMO.

erm2003
04-18-2007, 09:43 PM
If you use the goriya room you only have to pay once right? At least by using the misc item you can have a fee for each time the player wants to use the inn. Good ideas here.

Revfan9
04-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Alright, here's a step-by-step guide as to how I would do it.

First, I would make a payment room that allowed Link to move into the room above after he payed his rupees. The room is an ordinary room, with a tile warp underneath the bed. Make this lead to another screen, on another Dmap.

On this screen, make the Dmap palette be like a nighttime version of the house. Have Link hidden right underneath the bed, with a tile showing Link sleeping over him. Put a fairy flag over here, and make the Dmap music be something peaceful. Make the ticking time warp lead to another screen, that is the same as the first bedroom. Make the warp exit right next to the bed, and make it so that the warp in the bed is absent from this room. Make the room down from there a room exactly like the entrance, except you don't have to pay. Make the exit sidewarp into outside of the inn, so if Link walks back in, he'll be back in the payroom.

You could also double up on this to make an SD3 like effect, where if Link takes the left room, the manager will wake him up during the day, but if he takes the right room, the manager will wake him up at night.

Joe123
04-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I made it pretty much like Revfan said but without the 'nightime' screen. I have a payement screen, then above that is a screen with the bed in (where the covers are on layer 3) and a tilewarp which takes you to a duplicate screen, but with fairy flags in the bed, so it heals you as you walk out of it. Then I had a side warp to a screen with the innkeeper, but saying 'I hope you enjoyed your stay', then to the town again. Works pretty good.

I like the idea with the bait, but I'm using that for something else already

Pineconn
04-21-2007, 09:50 PM
If you use the goriya room you only have to pay once right?

Right. But that's how I wanted it, so it may not be suitable for everyone.

C-Dawg
04-22-2007, 09:42 AM
As always, remember that scripting can solve your problem if you don't like the contours of the Zelda Classic solution.

LinkMaster500
04-23-2007, 01:49 PM
What exactly is scripting? With what version(s) does it work?

Pineconn
04-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Scripting is basically using a programming language (C++) in order to make incredible things happen in a quest. Basically you can implement anything you could ever dream about with scripting. Scripting, by the way, is in 2.5. Though as great as it is, you'll need to, well, learn C++ if you don't know it. Like me. :p