PDA

View Full Version : LTTP Level 8 - The Mysterious Room

Sam Atoms
04-16-2007, 04:39 AM
So, the recent release of LTTP to the Virtual Console led me to give it a replay, and things were going smoothly until something came up. There is a room in Level 8, Ganon's Tower, that I couldn't find a way to get to.

http://thedarkhideout.homestead.com/files/images/zroom.jpg

I've scoured the web for walkthroughs and even the most comprehensive ones say there's no way to get in there. So, my question is obvious: Is there a way into that room? I was wondering if it might hold some really spiffy secret treasure, one of those notorious "debug" rooms, or if it was simply put there to drive people crazy and there's no way to get to it.

erm2003
04-16-2007, 05:19 AM
Go below the blocks, start dashing to the left or right (with the A button), and then quickly press up to change your direction. When you bounce against the blocks, the momentum will take you back onto that platform. You can use the hookshot to get back across.

Nicholas Steel
04-16-2007, 06:48 AM
wrong xD you get stopped before going over the black pit, your meant to use bombs and blast your self across.

Warlock
04-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Walk under the blocks, face up, dash into the blocks. You will bounce over the pit (yes, it works). I'm pretty sure you are not supposed to bomb yourself across (can you even do that?)

I think the room only has some rupees in it. I can't remember, it has been awhile.

Orion
04-16-2007, 03:00 PM
If I recall, Warlock's suggestion is what worked for me. It takes a few seconds to get it lined up, but I think it's what you are supposed to do. I would think using bombs would knock you into the hole? I guess I've never tried it. But I know the dashing into them thing works.

And I'm fairly certain all you get are some rupees.

cbailey78
04-16-2007, 04:33 PM
I used the dash bounce from the blocks and it worked for me but you would have to get link just barely have space between link and the blocks so you can dash-bounce instead of link trying to grab the blocks! The room below had 8 pots formed in a horizontal oval shape with two fairies. the very bottom pot contained a magic refill. That's all there was!

Glenn the Great
04-16-2007, 04:46 PM
I figured out how to get in there when I was 8 years old.

Revfan9
04-16-2007, 05:50 PM
No you didn't :P

Yeah. I bought a walkthrough when I got the GBA version (dunno why). You have to bomb yourself across, and it's just a rupee room.

Glenn the Great
04-16-2007, 06:11 PM
No you didn't :P

Yeah. I bought a walkthrough when I got the GBA version (dunno why). You have to bomb yourself across, and it's just a rupee room.

I sure did. I got the game for my 8th birthday, and 4 months later, I was in Level 8, and stood in that room for quite awhile staring at that wall, and didn't move past the room until I got in there.

erm2003
04-16-2007, 06:27 PM
You don't have to bomb. The dashing works. I do it every time.

Plissken
04-16-2007, 06:52 PM
I also figured out how to get there myself at a young age RevFan. I think it was 12. But yeah the bombing is useless, it's not like the dashing is hard and you don't hurt yourself in the process.

Sam Atoms
04-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Yeah. Thanks guys, I tried both techniques mentioned above and they worked easily. Now that it's clear how simple it is, I'm feeling a little dopey. You get so many neat items late in the game, it makes one forget about the simple tricks.... :cool: I could have used that room, too, those two fairies would have saved some ass-kickings on the upper floors.

Now I can say that I have this classic completely beaten. :kawaii: Well, except for two Pieces of Heart and two bottles that I never tracked down. So I had to defeat Ganon on three bottles. I was in serious jeopardy for much of the last quarter of the fight, but in the end, a fairy, a Red Potion, and some mad tap-dancing on one heart proved to be just barely enough. Good thing I had the sense to bring some Medicine of Magic, or I would have run out of power for lighting the lamps, and me, the Pig, his flaming bat of fire, and three empty bottles would have made six last night.

Glenn the Great
04-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Just 4 bottles in this game. You need 1 more.

Cloral
04-16-2007, 10:30 PM
If you're like me, you probably missed the bottle in the dark world where Kakariko is in the light world.
And why are you bothering with red and green potions? Just buy the blue stuff, then you don't have to worry about either. If you need money, you can go to one of the large rocks outside of the desert and open up a cave with a bunch of pots with blue rupees in them that respawn every time you come back in.

Masamune
04-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Or teh bottle under the bridge in the light world.

King Aquamentus
04-16-2007, 10:35 PM
If you're really cheap, there's a game genie code (SNES version, obviously) that will let you dash over anything when you use the pegasus boots. rock walls, water, sky, abyss... it's all floor.

Of particular interest though is the Octoroc balloon in the southeast corner of the Light World. It only shows up here, and only serves to explode into a bunch of tiny octos.... ...ooookay?

Glenn the Great
04-16-2007, 10:58 PM
If you ever play Zelda 3 on an SNES emulator, the best way to make money is to abuse save states at the treasure chest game in the Village of Outcasts.

Nicholas Steel
04-17-2007, 02:04 AM
SNES emulators allow you to dash repeatedly so fast that the falling animation never gets any time to start thus you never fall into pits :)

i referred to a walk through many years ago, when i got really pissed and curious about that room, and every where i looked said to bomb your way across, are you sure that dashing works on the original SNES? (after looking at the picture it does kinda become blindingly obvious that dashing should work, but im still pretty certain it didnt work for me =\ )

EDIT: UNLESS ! i am getting confused with dashing over one way and bombing the other way... or bombing one way and hook shoting the other.

Sam Atoms
04-17-2007, 02:33 AM
Or teh bottle under the bridge in the light world.

Ah, there's a bottle under there? OK, that would have helped.

Only 4 bottles in total, eh? Well, then I was just two Pieces of Heart and one bottle away. For some reason, I remembered there being 5.......

And I never liked the Blue Medicine. If your Life and Magic aren't low at the same time, you have to waste one aspect of the refilling (although, once you get the blue cane, I guess this becomes a non-factor). I never did end up holding a Blue Potion at any time.

erm2003
04-17-2007, 05:24 AM
SNES emulators allow you to dash repeatedly so fast that the falling animation never gets any time to start thus you never fall into pits :)

i referred to a walk through many years ago, when i got really pissed and curious about that room, and every where i looked said to bomb your way across, are you sure that dashing works on the original SNES? (after looking at the picture it does kinda become blindingly obvious that dashing should work, but im still pretty certain it didnt work for me =\ )

EDIT: UNLESS ! i am getting confused with dashing over one way and bombing the other way... or bombing one way and hook shoting the other.

I don't play this game on an emulator since I still have my SNES copy, so yeah I am 100% sure the dashing trick works. I am also sure that's how it was intended to be done since you don't have to take any damage that way.

I also think that was how they showed you to get to that room in the NP guide. I had that years ago as well.

Nicholas Steel
04-17-2007, 10:14 AM
maybe i did do it the intended way... its been years since i last payed attention to it, maybe i'm getting confused with the tactic used in the "hall of pain" in the "parallel worlds" hack.

yea, blue potion AND red potion are a waste of money and time, green potion is all anyone should need, fairies are far too plentiful and easy to catch for red potion and half the effect of the blue potion for them to be worth it, hell the old lady in the shop gives you a free taste of red potion, it's how the developer's demonstrate how useless they are i guess =\

Warlock
04-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Yes, dashing definately worked on the original SNES cart. I've done it on that. That's clearly what's intended to be done there because of the two blocks' placement. You just need to give yourself like a milimeter of room in order to dash up (otherwise you grab the blocks as mentioned).

Like I said before, I'm not even sure bombs would work. Like Orion said, I believe those would knock you in the hole (they do not make you "jump", they just push you).

I laugh at the morons who wrote the walkthroughs claiming "it's impossible to get there" though. Aside from that being wrong, it's just so obvious that it's "supposed" to be possible that outside of a horrendous level design error (which Nintendo is *not* that sloppy), it doesn't make sense that you can't. And of course, the fact that you can :)

Mak-X
04-17-2007, 06:29 PM
I remember reading about it in the Nintendo Power Player's Guide book. Had to refigure it out the last time I played though.

It's basically a fairy room to heal you before you get to the boss. There were a few fairy rooms in the other dungeons in the game too.

Glenn the Great
04-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Letting a bomb explode on you will push you across the gap. That's how I got across my first time, and later I discovered dashing was less painful and just as effective.

Pineconn
04-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Well, I'm not sure if ramming yourself into a wall and then flying across a fissure would feel great either. ;) But y'know.

I would suppose that you can also access the Chris Houlihan room to consider to have played 100% of the game. I wonder if they included it in the VC version?

Glenn the Great
04-17-2007, 10:20 PM
You also need to have collected the Good Bee at least once, or you didn't complete it 100%.

In the icy cave where the Ice Rod is found, there is a fountain. Ram into it, and it will release a one of a kind bee called "Good Bee".

Pineconn
04-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Say what? I gotta try that real quick. Dang it, there better be a warp spot close to that area.

EDIT: It always comes back to you to recatch? Well, that's nifty.

Glenn the Great
04-17-2007, 10:40 PM
The frog in my avatar wants to eat the Good Bee.

Orion
04-17-2007, 11:53 PM
Well, I'm not sure if ramming yourself into a wall and then flying across a fissure would feel great either. ;) But y'know.

I would suppose that you can also access the Chris Houlihan room to consider to have played 100% of the game. I wonder if they included it in the VC version?

I haven't tried it myself... in fact, I don't think I've ever been to the Houlihan room, but I remember reading that it was taken out.

Warlock
04-18-2007, 10:54 AM

It's just a ROM of the original game. There is no reason it wouldn't be there (in the code at least). However, the emulator may prevent its access if it's coded to work differently than the original SNES (as it was a crash room - basically it took the place of an error message or hangup).

Pineconn
04-18-2007, 05:21 PM
I remember reading that the Chris Houlihan room wasn't in the GBA version of LTTP, so I wonder if they ported the SNES version or the GBA version. I'm sure Wikipedia will have something about it.

Hehe, [clicky-clicky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_to_the_past#Chris_Houlihan_room)].

Nicholas Steel
04-19-2007, 02:15 AM
the lsat lini on wiki says it is a port of the SNES version, tho i agree, since each game gets there own special emulator for the wii, the error condition most likely will never get met without the aid of 3rd party devices..