04-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Reading through the Oracles Ring List, I noticed the following entries:

27 | Green Luck Ring | 1/2 damage from traps
28 | Blue Luck Ring | 1/2 damage from beams
29 | Gold Luck Ring | 1/2 damage from falls
30 | Red Luck Ring | 1/2 damage from spiked floors

Before I knew it, the following very simple item idea sprang to mind:

Luck Rings
Power: By how much the damage is divided. 0 makes it a Holy Ring (nullifies all damage).
Misc1: The type of damage to reduce. The numbers here will be pretty arbitrary. Maybe something like 1 = traps, 2 = fireballs, 3 = damage combos, 4 = Link's bombs, 5 = Link's fire etc.
(I may replace the "Hurt by Own Bombs" and "Not Hurt By Own Fire" rules with two such items in init. data.)

Yes, I understand that Boots may seem to equal a Damage Combo Holy Ring, but remember that the Boots allows you to specify the level of damage combo to resist.

And, while I'm at it, here's something that'll take about ten lines of code:
Whimsical Rings
One of Link's weapons sometimes does lethal damage.
Power: How often, out of 255, that this weapon is lethal.
Misc1: The item family to provide whimsy to.

I'll think about these. Since both of these items' effects are solely in the realm of stats, the bug risk is reasonably low. And since the Item Editor is entering its prime, now's the best time to start defining the built-in item families.

The_Amaster
04-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Since both of these items' effects are solely in the realm of stats, the bug risk is reasonably low.

These are the kind of features we can afford to implement. Cool.

Majora
04-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Wait, so you're gonna implement all 4 Luck Rings? Jesus _L_, ZC 2.5 is gonna have to be called 2.7+ or something.

Pineconn
04-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Actually, it's turning more into an OoS-Classic. But, I like this idea. I say go for it.

The_Amaster
04-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Yeah, it resembles ALttP and the Oracles more than anything, really. *Hastily* Not that that's a bad thing.

Majora
04-15-2007, 04:34 PM
If to make ZC 1.00 a TLOZ ROM was hacked, why not hack an ALttP ROM to give us scrolling screens/areas?

Pineconn
04-15-2007, 04:43 PM
I think that it would be beneficial if you group every ring into one category in Initial Data, "Ring", so that there wouldn't be one for the classic rings, one for the Whisp Rings, one for the Charge Rings, one for the Luck Ring, and one for the Whimsical Ring. And then maybe group all the scrolls under a single category, too. Just a thought so we don't have a big, sprawling list.

The_Amaster
04-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Probably because it would be too difficult to adapt all the current ZC stuff to a LttP engine, and vice versa, so it's easier to develop it using the current system or somthing.

Limzo
04-16-2007, 02:03 PM
If to make ZC 1.00 a TLOZ ROM was hacked, why not hack an ALttP ROM to give us scrolling screens/areas?
Apparently the code for Zelda 3 animation was coppied directly from a rom. Now, if it were possible to do this with scrolling, it would probably already have been done. :(

Dark Nation
04-17-2007, 07:34 AM
The style was copied, not the code. All that was done was that the graphics were ripped and the timing was written down (while watching the animation frame by frame), and coded into ZC.

SpacemanDan
04-17-2007, 06:45 PM
I haven't played too much into OoS or OoA. Still, sounds like a good idea. For the Whimsical Rings, would we be able to decide which enemies it could work on. It would kinda ruin the fun if it worked on bosses. (Maybe disable it from instantly killing bosses, or enemies in a room with the Dungeon Boss flag checked?)

_L_
04-18-2007, 02:36 AM
For the Whimsical Rings, would we be able to decide which enemies it could work on. It would kinda ruin the fun if it worked on bosses.I, conversely, think it'd be amazing if it worked on bosses!

ShadowTiger
04-18-2007, 09:00 AM
I guess it's one of those that you'd have to let the quest designer decide on. :shrug: Perhaps a "is a boss" flag for custom enemies which would determine a number of features, including being affected by the Whimsical ring, (Which I personally still think is a ridiculous name for a ring with such an effect. It reminds me of clowns and picnics. :blah: ) and the [F12 --> Boss Room] flag.

AmazingAmpharos
04-18-2007, 01:01 PM
You could just put the boss on a different dmap and disable the Whimsical Ring on that dmap. It would be handy as it would let you simulate a "death" spell by making a custom item that used a lot of MP and had a very high chance of inflicting instant death.

Of course, these sort of things would be really cool if they could be set to have constant MP/rupee draining and the ability to turn equipment type items on and off.

The_Amaster
04-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Yeah, there should be some "Doesn't affect Bosses" option. I mean, I don't want some player defeating a four-headed fire gleeok just because he got lucky.

Revfan9
04-18-2007, 08:32 PM
I personally think that the quest maker should be able to decide. After all, it can't kill Custom Bosses no matter what :P

Din
05-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Yeah, that would be good, maybe in the near future we should have an option of equipping rings! That way we could have rings like in the oracle games.