PDA

View Full Version : Islamic leaders issue fatwa (holy decree) against genies, vampires and mermaids

Beldaran
04-14-2007, 12:49 AM
Religious thought in action. (http://eteraz.wordpress.com/2007/04/13/this-fatwa-targets-genies-vampires-mermaids-phoenix-birds-ghouls-and-supernatural-beings/)

The money quote:

“We don’t want to expose Muslims to supernatural and superstitious beliefs,” the Berita Harian newspaper quoted him as saying.

More irony:

Laugh about it all you want, but there is a pro-science undertone here. Muslim clerics are telling people to be less superstitious, because there is a problem in the Muslim world of people thinking that they can marry genie wives (who are quite obedient)[Must read letter from Cairo]. I disagree with the means used by these clerics, but the impulse is not necessarily idiotic.

Though I am still going to laugh.

The_Amaster
04-14-2007, 12:58 AM
O_o. Yeah, I totally want to marry a genie.

This is just plain bizzare.

Cloral
04-14-2007, 02:21 AM
Well, she'd only be obedient until you used up your 3 wishes. Then poof! she's gone.

On second thought, that sounds pretty sweet. Sign me up.

Darth Marsden
04-14-2007, 03:48 AM
For my first wish, I'd wish for an infinite number of wishes.
For my second wish, I'd wish for you to be my devoted slave, Mrs Genie.
For my third wish, I'd wish for a Wendy burger with a glass of root beer.

Not a single wasted wish. Mmm...

Aegix Drakan
04-14-2007, 08:12 AM
:odd: wha...wha...whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I dont' know which is worse:

The fact that they feel the need to ban all supernatural creature exhibits for "messing with their faith"

or the fact that muslim men want to marry genie wives...

it's...oh...just WTF...

Well, she'd only be obedient until you used up your 3 wishes. Then poof! she's gone.

:laughing: Quoted for truth.

Dechipher
04-14-2007, 11:33 AM
:odd: wha...wha...whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I dont' know which is worse:

The fact that they feel the need to ban all supernatural creature exhibits for "messing with their faith"

or the fact that muslim men want to marry genie wives...

it's...oh...just WTF...

You have to remember, they have an entirely different way of thinking about EVERYTHING over there. What seems ridiculous to us might not be to them, and vice versa.

Good things no Americans are superstitious or anything *cough Friday the 13th cough*

Beldaran
04-14-2007, 01:32 PM
You have to remember, they have an entirely stupid way of thinking about EVERYTHING over there.

fixed

mrz84
04-14-2007, 01:39 PM
I can't help but laugh at this. It's just too funny. :kitty:

MottZilla
04-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Wow, talk about stupid. And Beldaran is right, people over there have an entirely fucking retarded way of thinking. Don't believe in Vampires and Genies, but God is ok. Surrrrre.

Dechipher
04-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Wow, talk about stupid. And Beldaran is right, people over there have an entirely fucking retarded way of thinking. Don't believe in Vampires and Genies, but God is ok. Surrrrre.

I like this incredibly judgmental way of thinking where if we don't understand or condone it it's obviously wrong and stupid. Go America.

Beldaran
04-14-2007, 10:13 PM
I like this incredibly judgmental way of thinking where if we don't understand or condone it it's obviously wrong and stupid. Go America.

If you believe in a bunch of stupid shit for which there is no evidence, and it causes you to abuse women and form oppressive warlike societies, then yes that is wrong and stupid.

People who are dedicated to rational thought can understand but not condone islam.

Pineconn
04-14-2007, 10:35 PM

Well, Americans are not known to be suicide bombers.

Lilith
04-14-2007, 11:43 PM

welcome to mottzilla and/or beldaran

Beldaran
04-15-2007, 12:16 AM
It's not euphemistically "judgemental" to hate people who believe in magic that tells them to kill, rape, and oppress innocent people. It's logical.

"Judgemental" means you hate gay people or something. It stereotypically means hating something for a stupid, illogical reason. Wait... what does that remind me of... oh yes that's right, hardline muslims.

Daarkseid
04-15-2007, 01:36 AM
Well, Americans are not known to be suicide bombers.

No, they're known to be the good old fashioned bombing types. With airplanes and artillery platforms.

Glenn the Great
04-15-2007, 02:00 AM
Honestly, if the Muslims had good bombs and missile launchers, they wouldn't be suicide bombing. They have the urgent need to bomb (just like we do), but they can't afford to do it safely, and we can.

Cloral
04-15-2007, 02:57 AM
On a serious note, I thought about this some more, and it is pretty fucked up. The religious leaders are trying to destroy Arab culture and mythology because it gets in the way of their religion. Like in Afghanistan where the Taliban bombed the giant Buddha statues that had been carved into the cliff face there (admittantly, that wasn't their culture, but that's still fucked up). I try to be tolerant of people, but their rediculous intolerance makes it pretty difficult sometimes. I mean, I know that the religious radicals don't represent all Muslims, just like Jerry Falwell doesn't represent all Christians. But sometimes they make it hard to remember that.

Tygore
04-16-2007, 01:24 PM
I mean, I know that the religious radicals don't represent all Muslims, just like Jerry Falwell doesn't represent all Christians. But sometimes they make it hard to remember that.

The problem with crazy people is that they have a tendancy to be very, very loud.

Rainman
04-16-2007, 02:42 PM
The pretend holy wars are always the best.