PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, so I just spent four days in a cabin in the woods.

The_Amaster
04-14-2007, 12:29 AM
Yeah, so I just got back from vacation in the Ozark mountains of Missouri, where I stayed in a cabin with no phone, internet,TV or heat. Yeah, I was roughing it, hiking every day, and building fires every night.

It was really cool.

Beldaran
04-14-2007, 12:36 AM
If I ever go four days without a computer it will be because our society was destroyed by weapons of mass destruction.

Pineconn
04-14-2007, 12:41 AM
Yeah, so I just spent four days in a cabin in the woods.

The best title I've seen, ever.

Ah, that explains why you haven't been on for... well, four days. I'm a Boy Scout, so I'm kind of used to it. Try this: ten days in late June/early July in Virginia with no AC. It... was sort of miserable. Like, 110°F miserable (after factoring in the humidity and all that). But we did have phone kiosks. (In case anyone cares, it was the National Boy Scout Jamboree in 2005).

But how was your delectable vacation? :D

The_Amaster
04-14-2007, 01:03 AM
Pretty good, thanks.
My mom went snake crazy and had us all paranoid and beating at every pile of leaves with a stick before we got within ten feet of it, and we got through an entire game of Civilization:The Board Game, which if you've ever played, the advanced version leads to about an 8 hour game with four players. Plus Scrabble, which my 13 year old brother, despite having a horrible vocabulary and constantly asking us if things like "Hiswul" were words still beat us.

Pineconn
04-14-2007, 01:13 AM
Never played Civilization: The Board Game. But I played Risk. :p

Ah, yes, my dad is horrible at Scrabble. My favorite word he made up was "norqfig" (pronounced like it's spelled). And of course, I beat him. I was proud that I made the word "anemone" (thank you Ocarina of Time!), though it was worth only 8 points. ¬_¬

Augh! Wilderness!

MrCow
04-14-2007, 02:38 AM
where I stayed in a cabin , Yeah, I was roughing it,
since when is staying in a cabin truly roughing it?

Glenn the Great
04-14-2007, 03:18 AM
since when is staying in a cabin truly roughing it?

It isn't. Kids these days are turning into wimpy little hiswuls, even in the Boy Scouts.

The_Amaster
04-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Fine, well, also every year my family goes camping for a few days. That's a bit closer to roughing it, I imagine. I think true "roughing it" involves making the shelter yourself out of sticks and stuff.

And the cabin had no heat, so we had to make a fire every night...

Beldaran
04-14-2007, 01:35 PM
If you really want to rough it, go out into the middle of the mountains with nothing but a pocket knife, a t-shirt, and jeans. Then cut your legs off at the knees. If you can make it home, you're a real man. If not, you're a pussy.

Pineconn
04-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Okay, you do that. I think I'll stick to my quadrupedal life.

It isn't. Kids these days are turning into wimpy little hiswuls, even in the Boy Scouts.

Welcome to America.

HUGE EDIT: Um, okay. Why is there a URL in my sig with LightingZ in it? I swear to God that I didn't put it there, and it wasn't there last night. o_O

mrz84
04-14-2007, 02:05 PM
I was wondering where you'd been for 4 days..... :kitty:

Beldaran
04-14-2007, 02:23 PM
I think I'll stick to my quadrupedal life.

A quick refresher course:

This is a quadruped:

http://students.ou.edu/A/Amanda.D.Anderson-1/golden.jpg

This is a biped:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/pp/ppweek99/Man_Walking.jpg

Pineconn
04-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Did I ever say I am a human? No. I might be a deer for all you know.

...Okay. How about I think I'll stick with my two intact legs.

Majora
04-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Pineconn:

You might want to change your password. The paranoia in me is saying that you've been hacked (literally, not in the "Someone knows my password" way)
Also, I think lighningz is up to something. (Keep in mind that he can't actually DO anything, but I assume that this is one of his pathetic ruses.)

Pineconn
04-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Dang it. That's been my password forever. But that's a good idea.

~-~-~

It depends on what you'd define "roughing it" as. For the NY-style city folk, roughing it is completely different than those living in suburbia. (The former choice may define roughing it as a day without Oprah.)

The_Amaster
04-14-2007, 04:03 PM
He, I love to see stereotypical "big city" people doing their version of "roughing it", partly because I consider myself a outdoorsy guy, and I love to see how shelterd they are, as they try to *gasp* go 3 days without a cell phone. Soooo tortuous.

Majora
04-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Especially a city girl. XD I can imagine her literally DYING of not having a cell phone. She'd give new meaning to the phrase "You wouldn't last 5 minutes"

Pineconn
04-14-2007, 04:59 PM
"Omigod, I broke a nail!"

Pretty sad. I'll tell you, when I was a kid... wait, I am a kid. Technically an adolescent, but whatever. :sweat:

I think that the cell phone is going to ruin the world. Why? They can set off bombs. Plus, since you can get anything with one when you want it (e.g. Internet), people in future generations will get spoiled. Just a theory.

Correction edit: people in the current generation will get spoiled.

mrz84
04-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Quite frankly, I'v never used my cell except as an alarm clock. Never saw a need to use it for anything else. Meh. :shrug:

The_Amaster
04-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Heck yeah. I love modern technology and all the advances we've made, but I hate what it does to people.

Beldaran
04-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Yeah we should all live in dirty mud huts and brush our teeth with rocks and die at age 20 of the flu because hey we wouldn't want people to be spoiled by technology.

I love technology. I love how it improves my life. I see no point in moving backwards. People who are idiots would be idiots without technology just like they are with technology.

Majora
04-14-2007, 05:23 PM
I think they're reffering to NON-ESSENTIAL technology. :sweat: :computer: :blah:

Pineconn
04-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Hey, I don't have a cell phone. Don't need it. Gimme a GameCube and a computer with basic intraweb connection and I'm fine! :p I don't need a Wii, I don't need DSL. (Though I want a Wii.)

Beldaran
04-14-2007, 05:46 PM
Just because you don't want a cell phone doesn't mean other people shouldn't be allowed to have one. :p

Pineconn
04-14-2007, 05:50 PM
I never said that... I don't think. ...Well, If I did, that's not what I meant. You can keep your cellular telephone, I'm fine with that. Just gimme my ZC! :D

Aegix Drakan
04-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Technology is like all other inventions. It's wonderful untill someone misuses it.

Of course, I am a total techno freak. I don't know what I would do without it. I just find it stupid when idiots/bad hearted people use it.

the idiots because they'll just cause problems
and the bad hearted people because they give it a bad name.

Lilith
04-14-2007, 11:49 PM
That's neat-o, I was staying in the mountains by Mt. Hood in Oregon (cascades?) with ~* my boyfriend last week *~, because that's where he moved, and I was like WHOA I had no idea you lived in the fucking mountains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was insane. I haven't been in the country in a couple of years, much less the mountains (midwest = entirely flat!!!) but luckily there was technology. It was so beautiful, I wouldn't mind living there for like a year and also I wasn't afraid of getting mugged, but there were bears probably.

Prrkitty
04-15-2007, 04:06 PM
OHHH!! Mt Hood and the surrounding areas are very beautiful. I hope you enjoy/enjoyed your stay Lilith. Be sure to see as much of this area as you can and/or have time to. I absolutely love the Northwest area. And coming to it from South Carolina... I can guarantee ya I'll never go back east to live again (except maybe under dire circumstances or it's absolutely necessary).

Lilith
04-15-2007, 04:54 PM
I am probably moving to Seattle after I get sick of Chicago so I can vacation all over the place :3

Beldaran
04-15-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm from Seattle. The weather fucking sucks.

Lilith
04-15-2007, 10:08 PM
I'm from Chicago. You don't know what suck is until your snot freezes everytime you walk outside for weeks on end!

Beldaran
04-15-2007, 10:20 PM
You don't know what 31 straight days of rain is like.

Also, Seattle at 29 degrees is much colder than Alaska at -10 degrees. Why? Because everything is sopping wet. Try staying warm when the air itself soaks into your clothes with a latent wetness. My dad used to work as an airplane mechanic in Fairbanks, Alaska and he says the coldest he's ever been is in Seattle on a wet day.

I hope you're comfortable with going 4-5 months a year without seeing the sun. At all.

I know Chicago sucks in it's own way. It's not a competition. I'm just saying I hate Seattle's climate. Lots of people love it, or it wouldn't have half a million people living there.

Lilith
04-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Wrong, it is a competition and we also don't see the sun for 4-5 months and there is soaking 33-degree rain and lake-freezing seasonal depression and urban heat islands that suffocate people in the summer. I'm just saying I win.

The_Amaster
04-15-2007, 10:29 PM
I live in Kenosha, about half an hour north of Chicago, and I gotta agree with Lilith here. The winters are frigid, and the summers sweltering.

Beldaran
04-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Yes I know Chicago sucks in the winter and summer. It still loses because Seattle sucks all year. It's too hot in the summer and no one anywhere as air conditioning, and the rest of the year it's dank, dark, and cold.

Lilith
04-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Yes I know Chicago sucks in the winter and summer. It still loses because Seattle sucks all year. It's too hot in the summer and no one anywhere as air conditioning, and the rest of the year it's dank, dark, and cold.

We don't have spring or fall, dear

that's how tornaders are made

Beldaran
04-15-2007, 11:54 PM
ok both cities are cock.

Lilith
04-16-2007, 02:51 AM
thank you

Prrkitty
04-16-2007, 03:04 PM
I live in Kenosha, about half an hour north of Chicago, and I gotta agree with Lilith here. The winters are frigid, and the summers sweltering.

Kenosha? Isn't that the city where the characters of "That 70's show" were supposed to have lived?