PDA

View Full Version : Help with Subscreen Editor

C-Dawg
04-09-2007, 10:34 AM
I've been trying to figure out how to use the subscreen editor, but I'm not getting anywhere. Even something as simple as making a new item, or allowing additional items (like hookshot) to be selected from the default menu, escapes me. I also can't find definitions for all the terms used in the subscreen editor - button, box - anywhere in the documentation. Has anyone worked up a play-by-play to show how the subscreen editor works?

The_Amaster
04-09-2007, 10:40 AM
No, I don't think so, but I've just about mastered it. Tell me somthing specific and I can help you.

C-Dawg
04-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Well, how about starting with this: I've got the classic Zelda 1 subscreen, and I want to manually add the Hookshot as a selectable item. How would I do this?

C-Dawg
04-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Honestly. No fooling. I'm actually very interested in how the sub-screen editor works. Jman was kind enough to point out that "Current Item" is the term for a selectable item on your active sub-screen. But now I'm wading through figuring out a mess of additional information. The "current item" needs to have a variety of variables set that, I imagine, determine when it gets selected in sequence when the player pushes left, right, up, or down. I messed with this for awhile, failed to get it to work (in fact, froze ZClassic a few times this way) and gave up.

I switched to LttP-style sub-screen so that I at least could access additional items. This has its own problems. It doesn't seem to use the same heart/bomb/arrow/key/magic etc graphics on the passive sub-screen. When I try to reassign them, I see there are FOUR different tiles to select, each with its own cryptic name. I have no clue what these mean, although I gather the little blue box shows you what quarter of a tile each tile is looking at.

I'd love some specific guidance on using the editor, but I'm also becoming more convinced that a general guide is absolutely necessary. The sub-screen editor makes very little intuitive sense. Why is "Current Item" the name for "Selectable Item?" Why doesn't the engine place a new "current item" as the next one in each sequence by default, so it will at least work if the player doesn't modify the values?

The_Amaster
04-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Whoops, sorry man. Didn't see you're earlier question. Um, how the selector order works is that you assign each item a number, based on it's position, hence the "Position" box. So a typpcal one lookes somthng like this:

1-2-3-4

5-6-7-8

Than the boxes under it are for selector movement. So, for 1, the right box should read "2", the left "4", the top "5" and the bottom "5", because that's where it jumps when you press those keys.

For Rupees, Keys and Bombs all together, you use a "Counter Block". Use the "Life Meter" to display hearts, and the "Magic Meter" for magic. By moving these around, you can make it look just like the passive.

I don't get the cryptic tile names any more than you do, but unless you're making some kind of radical layout, you shouldn't need them, although just to look cool you may want them.

michal9000
04-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Ok I got A problem with the z3/lttp subscreen, also! Ok I'm trying to get the hearts to function properly. Here the situation: I start of with three hearts, and when I add new ones that works fine, But what I can't get to work is the way they drain, when I get hurt in the game!

I know it has something to do with the four boxes in the heart properties, But I'm not sure on how to set this up!

What mine does,(that I don't want them to do!) Is the first time I get hit by an enemy the heart goes black, then the next time I get hit, the heart goes white.

What I want it to do is: go from full red heart to half red heart then black.

So if any one can help me that would be great.