PDA

View Full Version : I grew up to be the man.

Brasel
04-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Anyone ever been put in a position over a friend or family member, and then been forced to fire them? My good buddy that I roomed with for the year I was in Iraq has been having problems at home and with the army lately. I was appointed over him when I made corporal, and I've had to reprimand him for the things that have been happening. He lost rank, and thats how I was appointed over him. His problems have mostly been family related. In the army, if your family life gets in the way with your work life, you can be reprimanded and even separated from the army if it gets bad enough. Unfortunately, it has been bad enough, and I've had to do a bunch of paperwork to help get him kicked out. Its really a mind fuck. My dad had to fire his friend he spent most of his time with when he was working in England the other day. It was kind of weird that we are both going through a similar thing. I feel bad for my buddy because getting kicked out of the army really can fuck up your career, but because he couldn't keep his family under control, I really can disagree with it. It has caused us a lot of trouble leading him around by the hand everywhere to get his issues taken care of. That, and i can't defend the fact that he hit his wife. Whatever.

Beldaran
04-08-2007, 08:49 PM
he hit his wife.

No sympathy. He's incompetent and irrational. Fire him and feel good about it. It's the right thing to do.

Glenn the Great
04-08-2007, 10:10 PM
No sympathy. He's incompetent and irrational. Fire him and feel good about it. It's the right thing to do.

Yeah, I was feeling like this was a real dilemma until that last line there too.

Aegix Drakan
04-08-2007, 10:15 PM
I agree with Beldaran. I find it hard to sympathise with someone who hit their wife.

BUT!!! I DO realize how upset you must feel about fireing (SP?) your friend. >_> Doing things like that always hurt. I hope you get through it without too much distress.

Glenn the Great
04-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Besides, you're just doing your job, and if you refuse, he'll get kicked out anyways. It just means your Sergeant will be filling out the paperwork.

Darth Marsden
04-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Nothing as harsh as you, but my father is a manager at a Tesco store. I've worked at a couple of stores in several different roles (my favorite was checkout operator at the Petrol Station), but it's my sister who caused problems. My dad pulled a lot of strings to get her a job as a checkout operator, and after one night she told him she didn't want to do it anymore! He was livid.

Not quite the same as you, but there you go. My Tesco family story.

mrz84
04-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Life is a harsh road filled with many obstacles. You did what you felt was right and that is all that could be asked of you.

dammit....now I feel old...