PDA

View Full Version : Random Positive Development

Beldaran
04-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Tonight my girlfriend came over and she was all bummed out because she can't play in this golf tournament due to a scheduling conflict, and she was worried and confused about what she would do over the course of the next year, since she would be unable to go pro (LPGA golf) for at least a year due to financial considerations. Basically she either had to give up on golf, or move home to her parents' house in California and live rent free. I decided this was not an efficient or desirable solution so I asked her to marry me and she said yes and there you go.

So our engagement began on a night when she was wearing her sweaty golf clothes, had onion breath from dinner, I was busy studying and didn't have a ring. How romantic! And then I went back to studying. That is to say, I'm about to go back to studying.

Engaged on 4/3/07 and 4+3 = 7 which means we will make millions of dollars and become famous as America's #1 power couple. :scared:

Glenn the Great
04-04-2007, 12:06 AM
Just a few more days, and it will be 23 years without a real-life relationship for me.

I'll probably become famous as America's #1 power single.

Prrkitty
04-04-2007, 12:55 AM
Congrats Beldaran. May your life together be filled with much happines... lots of fun times and many blessings.

Modus Ponens
04-04-2007, 01:34 AM
Congratulations, Beldaran, my main man! What terrific and exciting news. (What does this mean about our Tetris game?)

Beldaran
04-04-2007, 02:14 AM
(What does this mean about our Tetris game?)

Nothing's changed. :)

I just don't want her moving to California (noticeably far away from Texas), I want her to be able to save money for golf tournaments, and I had reached the point where I knew I'd marry her eventually, so I did the logical thing. My priorities have not changed.

Dechipher
04-04-2007, 03:35 AM
Laaaaaaaaaaame.

Darth Marsden
04-04-2007, 04:31 AM
Kudos, my good man. Thinking with your head, unlike other guys I know. Hope you have a long and happy marriage, etc.

Aegix Drakan
04-04-2007, 09:57 AM
0_o wow...

I don't know what to say except...Kupos to you, Beldaran! *claps hands*

Good luck with that!

Pineconn
04-04-2007, 10:03 AM
...had onion breath from dinner, I was busy studying and didn't have a ring. ...

Lol, onion ring. :cool:

That was so random. I love it.

But really, congrats man. You're engaged exactly one day before the 39th year of the assassination of Martin Luther King! Good for you!

Beldaran
04-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Laaaaaaaaaaame.

What do you mean?

Dechipher
04-04-2007, 12:44 PM
What do you mean?

I was drunk, but you're just one of the last people I expected to see married just because of your cynical views on life. Or something.
Congrats though.

biggiy05
04-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Congrats on the engagement. You're life is over the minute you say I do.

AtmaWeapon
04-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Beldaran I want to start by saying congratulations on this important event.

I want to end by saying I just looked at your avatar and for some reason my mind was all "I wonder if that's his picture" and it was seriously pretty lol.

Just a few more days, and it will be 23 years without a real-life relationship for me.

I'll probably become famous as America's #1 power single.It made me kind of laugh but then http://www.atmaweapon.org/images/emot/smith.gif

erm2003
04-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Congrats on your engagement Beldaran!

Majora
04-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Positive: Congrats. If I could, I'd give you $1000

Negative: Kiss your life goodbye!

Beldaran
04-05-2007, 07:00 AM
Kiss your life goodbye!

[looks at his post count]

... my what now?

Seriously, my life isn't going to change all that much. I basically just play guitar, study, and code. As far as moving in with her, again not much of a change. She currently lives across the hall, literally like 12 feet away from me. We've been living together since our first date.

Brasel
04-05-2007, 08:02 AM

... my what now?

Seriously, my life isn't going to change all that much. I basically just play guitar, study, and code. As far as moving in with her, again not much of a change. She currently lives across the hall, literally like 12 feet away from me. We've been living together since our first date.

The day you get married, it all changes, even if you have been living together since your first date.

Thats what my platoon sergeant would tell me.

My wife and I were married since our first date, and even now, its still pretty much the same. Married life is great, congrats man. I hope everything works out for the both of you.

AtmaWeapon
04-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah honestly if you date someone long enough and spend enough time with them before you get married that whole "Oh man she was never like this before we got married" business just doesn't happen.

"He has taken me to a nice restaurant for three months I think we are perfect for each other" is not a basis for marriage. "Oh man she's an animal in bed and puts out on the first date" is not a basis for marriage. For some reason a lot of people treat marriage like it's some kind of "upgrade" from dating and that's part of why so many people are unhappy with marriage today in my opinion.

When you enter a marriage for the right reasons, you've already thought about what changes may be brought about by the arrangement and decided that the losses are worth the companionship. It's not something you realize over the course of a few weeks and a total of 10 or 15 hours with a person; you have to rack up a few months worth of time together and, ideally, even though it severely clashes with the morality of my faith I acknowledge the benefits of living together for a significant period of time first.

Also your response to majoras_wrath was pretty much the most appropriate response to make Beldaran; I literally almost quoted him and responded in the same way but figured I'd let you have the comedy crown in your engagement thread :)

moocow
04-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Congrats, Beld!

Two questions:
1) Are we all invited?
2) Will there be an open bar at the reception?

Beldaran
04-05-2007, 02:47 PM
hahaha

I know the perfect way to insure that none of you show up:

1) Yes!
2) No.

:D

moocow
04-05-2007, 04:26 PM
I'll just hide a flask of Jack Daniel's between my boobs... and in my purse...

The_Amaster
04-05-2007, 04:56 PM
*gasp* What if she takes you from us?

"Hey, Bel, can you post tonight?"
"Sorry, my wife wants me to fix the garage"
"Crap, thats three weeks in a row"

Eh, jk.

Seriously, congrats man. Heres to a long and happy marriage.

biggiy05
04-05-2007, 05:26 PM
I'll just hide a flask of Jack Daniel's between my boobs... and in my purse...

Share the Jack or I'll steal it from you.

Modus Ponens
04-05-2007, 08:47 PM
I'd love to hear about her reaction to your proposal, and what your exact words were, and so forth. (I'm sentimental.)

moocow
04-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Share the Jack or I'll steal it from you.

Ooooorrrr.... I could just beat you with my flask.

Lilith
04-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Is the girl you didn't want to fuck or what? Pardon my french but I was VERY CURIOUS about the outcome of said post, that being said don't be a dick and take her to IKEA and tolerate her whims.

Beldaran
04-09-2007, 01:20 AM
Is the girl you didn't want to fuck or what? Pardon my french but I was VERY CURIOUS about the outcome of said post, that being said don't be a dick and take her to IKEA and tolerate her whims.

We've had a few ups and downs. We are more like friends a lot of the time than anything else, but in the end the cost-benefit analysis weighed heavily in her favor.

She lets me sit in my room for hours on end, studying, reading, programming, writing music... it's like being single except I have a good friend who is attractive and fun to be around.

Anyway as to what we specifically said that night, I don't feel like going into details at the moment. Maybe some other time. It was sweet though.

don't be a dick and take her to IKEA and tolerate her whims.

I don't have to worry about that. She's incredibly low maintenance and doesn't make me do anything I don't want to do. Also, she's very frugal and doesn't like to buy a bunch of useless shit everytime she gets bored.

ZTC
04-09-2007, 12:03 PM
congrads, Beldaran

and Glenn, you're not the only one =/

Majora
04-10-2007, 09:58 PM

... my what now?

XD
Oh man, I walked right into that one.
I withdraw my previous statement. Well, what was left of your "life" Besides, 6k posts is not than many. ST, and the other 2 people with 10K posts. I don't mean that in a negative way, I'm just sayin.

mrz84
04-13-2007, 11:34 AM
I don't know how I could of missed this thread, but congrats to the marriage acceptance. I don't know much about weddings (except attending them or setting up for them seeing as my job at the hotel I work at has me set up all the events which includes weddings), but congrats nonetheless. And btw, no open bar? Doesn't matter to me. I'm not a drinker. :kitty:

fatcatfan
04-20-2007, 11:20 AM
congrats, man. Recent events sent me looking for DBH.... that led me back here and I saw this thread of yours. I dunno the financial situations you two face, but I know when I got married while still in school, my wife was then considered "in-state" as far as tuition goes and there was a lot more free grant money available for the two of us. Be sure to take advantage of it if you need to.

Glenn the Great
04-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Oh cool! FCF is back!

AtmaWeapon
04-20-2007, 12:31 PM
sup fatcatfan

Beldaran
04-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Dude, nice to see you again.

Yeah I'm really unsure what getting married will do to me legally/financially. I'm going to research it before I actually get married. For now, being engaged is enough mental surrealism for me. :D

DarkDragoonX
04-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Congratulations, Beldaran! That's great news.

Also, sup FCF? Haven't seen you around in quite some time.

Glenn the Great
04-20-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm going to research it before I actually get married.

This is a fine example right here of why I respect Beldaran. He keeps logical thought before emotion.

Aegix Drakan
04-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Or more simply put, he uses his brain, a rare (and admirable) trait among humans.

Lilith
04-20-2007, 04:05 PM
hahahaha oh fcf

also the robot-marriage thing is why I should marry a gay guy and we would never break up or be sad or have financial problems and we would laugh and sing and dance at parties

deathbyhokie
04-20-2007, 04:36 PM
For now, being engaged is enough mental surrealism for me. :D

QFT

Grats Beld. and hi FCF