PDA

View Full Version : Sega drops megaton bomb on Wii...

AlexMax
03-31-2007, 07:16 PM
http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i416165_nights2official20070401110447092.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com)

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/t416182_4gzj2bm.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i416182_4gzj2bm.jpg)

...in the form of NiGHTS 2. Yeah, that NiGHTS, that one game that your one friend with a Saturn probably had and you played maybe for five minutes. Or maybe you didn't know anyone with a Saturn (I sure didn't). Anyway, here's a video of someone playing "Soft Museaum" from NiGHTS 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV3GPwRQNCc

If you can't tell what is going on in the movie, at the begining, the user selects a stage with a kid asociated with it. The player is then put into a dream world and then takes control of the kid, and tries to walk towards the shrine with NiGHTS, the title charactor, in it. However, on his way, enemies come along and steal the kid's gems (what is it with Sonic Team and gems anyway), and lock them in gem containers. After they're done, the kid gets his bearings and goes up to NiGHTS, who you then take control of. This is the main chunk of the game, and it involves flying throughout the world on a rail getting enough of those blue spheres to break open a gem container and get the gem. You then have to go back to your starting point to go to the next leg of the stage, but what most people do is hang around on the current leg and try and get points until they have almost no time left, then make a break for the shrine, so they get away from that leg with more points and a better grade. If you run out of time, you lose control of NiGHTS and you are cast into the dream world as the kid again, and have to find NiGHTS before a scary fucking walking clock catches up with you and wakes you up (Game Over). Anyway, once you do four legs of the stage, you have all five gems left and then NiGHTS gets to face a boss, which he(?) has to defeat within a certain amount of time or else you get woken up anyway (Game Over). Honestly, once you figure out bosses weaknesses, the game itself is rather easy, but it's such a great fun relaxing game with amazing art direction (too bad it was on the Saturn which had terrible 3D with annoying pop-in), an awesome soundtrack, and there is challenge of getting a high score. And...you know....it came out on the Saturn, and while it sold well, almost nobody had a Saturn back then.

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/t416187_48mi046.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i416187_48mi046.jpg)

Thus it's no wonder that Sonic Team fans have been screaming at SEGA for a sequel for years now. But unfortuniatly, Yuji Naka, one of the designers of the origional game was a little timid about creating a sequel, afraid that he wouldn't know how to make it any better (Wait, someone at SEGA who is against shovelware? Shocking, I know...). However, it just so happened that his origional design document, in addition to requiring an analog pad (which SEGA delivered on), also required motion sensing technology that in spite of SEGA's gimmicky reputation back then was too out there even for them.

Wait a minute...motion sensing? Did someone say motion sensing? :)

Say hello to NiGHTS 2 for the Nintendo Wii.

http://i9.tinypic.com/29zd4yu.jpg

Currently, aside from a couple screenshots and magazine scans, not a hell of a lot is known about it. Perhaps the most inreseting ithing that has been posted so far is an interview with lead designer Takeshi Iizuka:

http://www.play-nintendo.com/playnintendo/content.php?content_id=809

Yep, Sonic Team is working on this game. Although their games have been really hit or miss lately (especially Sonic 360), Iizuka's personal lead designing repituare consists of NiGHTS, Sonic Adventure, SA2, Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog (which...honestly...was not a bad game once you got over the fact that it was SHADOW with a GUN), and it looks like he's in the right frame of mind for creating NiGHTS, wanting to hold off on it for so long due to gameplay evolution reasons instead of graphical or franchise milking ones.

More information here

Masamune
03-31-2007, 08:15 PM
The only thing I ever played for Saturn was Clockwork Knight. :(

MottZilla
04-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Honestly, once you figure out bosses weaknesses, the game itself is rather easy, but it's such a great fun relaxing game with amazing art direction (too bad it was on the Saturn which had terrible 3D with annoying pop-in), an awesome soundtrack, and there is challenge of getting a high score. And...you know....it came out on the Saturn, and while it sold well, almost nobody had a Saturn back then.

The N64, Saturn, and PSX all had pretty shitty 3D capabilities. Saturn wasn't really much different than either N64 or PSX in practical capability. People tended not to have Saturn because their were Playstation douche bags and still are. Saturn ownz j00! :O

I liked Nights for Saturn, but honestly I never fully understood wtf was going on. Still is was fun.

Dechipher
04-01-2007, 03:06 AM
It looks like one of the most gorgeous games I've ever seen, even if it's not purely graphical but more regarding the color usage and the art direction.

Like seriously those screenshots give me a good feeling inside.

Darth Marsden
04-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Ok, first of all - Shadow the Hedgehog is a bad game. If you were to replace Shadow with a generic human character, would that make it a better game? No, because at its heart it's still a horribly flawed piece of 'entertainment'. Sonic games only really work if they're 2D or focus on speed (Sonic Rush or Sonic Wild Fire, for example). Throwing vehicles, guns and poorly executed platforming elements into the mix does not a good game make.

[/Rant]

Secondly, good news about NiGHTS 2! I never really got into the first one, but I can easily see how other people did and I'm really happy that they held off until they had the right environment for the job. I hope it does well.

Aegix Drakan
04-01-2007, 07:34 PM
I've been hearing nothing but vague rumors about NiGHTS 2 for ages...

And here it is... ^_^ I;m telling you, If there is a Game I'd get a Wii for, it's this one.

I had the opportunity to play the original NiGHTS in a department store when I was 10. I only got about 30 minutes to play, but the memories I have of it are absolutely tear-jerking. (ok maybe I'm exaggerating, but It was freaking good). Recently, I found a game online which has a NiGHTS mod included, and I've played it so many times it's not funny. NiGHTS is just plain awesome.

I can't wait to see what they can do with this game on the Wii. My expectations are literally sky-high for this game.

[edit] whoaboy, 666th post. 0_0

The_Amaster
04-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Those graphics look great!

The color...the vividity...the boldness...

It stands out in a way far few games today do...

SWEET!

AtmaWeapon
04-01-2007, 09:57 PM
NiGHTS was an awesome game and it makes me sad that I broke my 3d Saturn controller :(

MottZilla
04-02-2007, 01:23 AM
You could get another one fairly cheap. Awhile back I bought a NiGHTS brand new with controller for like 25$ or so.

AlexMax
04-02-2007, 03:55 AM
And apparently it's been confirmed by IGN as "Nights: Journey into Dreams"

Darth Marsden
04-02-2007, 04:51 AM
Nice title. At least they didn't just call it NiGHTS 2.

Aegix Dragon: The number of the beast is actually 616 rather then 666. See here (http://www.csad.ox.ac.uk/POxy/beast616.htm).

Tygore
04-04-2007, 03:25 PM
And apparently it makes use of the Wii's... Forecast Channel?

http://kotaku.com/gaming/nights/nights-to-make-use-of-wiis-forecast-channel-249442.php

Now, I admit I have a bizzare fascination with the Forecast Channel- the part of me that likes to know the weather, yet not enough to go largely out of my way to look it up- but this seems kind of odd. Intuitive, and could be quite interesting, but still very odd.

mrz84
04-04-2007, 06:57 PM
I've always wanted to play the original NIGHTS, but I'm one of those kids who's parents didn't want to buy multiple systems for. I was stuck with an NES and SNES then. Some great games and all on them, but I wanted to play NIGHTS. Now the second one is coming out, and I feel like I should get a Saturn and the first game and play it. :kawaii:

Darth Marsden
04-05-2007, 05:02 AM
If you're lucky, they may re-release it for the Wii. If you're very, VERY lucky.

Urges everyone to get down on their knees and pray that this happens

AlexMax
04-05-2007, 10:17 PM
I've always wanted to play the original NIGHTS, but I'm one of those kids who's parents didn't want to buy multiple systems for. I was stuck with an NES and SNES then. Some great games and all on them, but I wanted to play NIGHTS. Now the second one is coming out, and I feel like I should get a Saturn and the first game and play it. :kawaii:

Saturns are around $30-50 bucks on eBay, $20 if you can find one in a brick and mortor used game store or thrift shop. Nights is one of the most common Saturn games avalible, you can pick it up for $10-20. This is, of course, assuming you use a sniping service (you can debate ethics all you want, but the bottom line is how badly do you want it), and not being suckered in by the shitty prices they put on "Buy it Now".

And of course, Nights is far from the only good game on the system, you can pick up Virtua Fighter 2, Fighters Megamix, Virtual On, Daytona USA, Virtua Cop, Burning Rangers, Sonic R, Clock Work Knight, Sega Rally, and if you're lucky one of the Panzer Dragoon games and Radiant Silvergun. The Saturn was not a bad game console by any stretch of the imagination, it just was out at a time when everyone was expecting another 32X or Sega CD and plus it too much of a pain in the ass to program for. And I think it was pretty expensive too.

MottZilla
04-06-2007, 03:38 AM
Part of the reason of the high cost was Sega, unlike Sony, didn't cheap out, they used mostly quality parts. Mostly because the Cartridge slot on the Saturn is probably the only bad quality part of the Saturn.

Warlock
04-06-2007, 10:10 AM
They should include the original Nights (1) as a bonus in Nights 2 - esp given the obscurity of the Saturn (at the very least, it's not like this was the PSX where you can still play those games as far up as the PS3)

AlexMax
04-08-2007, 05:43 AM
Part of the reason of the high cost was Sega, unlike Sony, didn't cheap out, they used mostly quality parts. Mostly because the Cartridge slot on the Saturn is probably the only bad quality part of the Saturn.

That's probably half of it. The other half was that the design of the system itself was a serious WTF. There were a ton of complex chips inside of it, and the origional motherboard was actually split into two motherboards and were connected together with a ribbon cable, which can't be easy to program for at all. Here's a picutre of the 'revised' Saturn Motherboard.

Clicky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SATURNBOARD.JPG)

Compare that with a modern PC, which has one huge CPU chip, a couple of smaller chips to handle things like sound and internal BIOS functions, and then a bunch of tiny stuff.

MottZilla
04-08-2007, 03:43 PM
No, not really. The main difficulty with the Saturn was their original design was changed at the "last minute" because of the Playstation. They quickly threw in an additional SH-2 Cpu and made the system a dual cpu design. That was probably the single most complicated part for developers. The other part was Sega didn't support developers as well as Sony did. The Playstation had much more friendly looking development kits.

The amounts of chips doesn't make it harder to program for. Just look at the Playstation PCB, and you will find they are not all that different in population of the PCBs. I don't know what the hell you are talking about a motherboard split into 2 PCBs, but I can tell you that this practice does not complicate things, many arcade games did this. It's not some huge problem.

Your modern PC is far more complicated than the Sega Saturn. I'm sure their last minute changes certainly pushed their target price out of reach, but oh well. Not like any of this matters now. The Saturn is still a great system.

ZTC
04-09-2007, 10:58 AM
I should see if I can find a copy of Nights at Replay sometime this week and buy their Saturn...

mrz84
04-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Saturns are around $30-50 bucks on eBay, $20 if you can find one in a brick and mortor used game store or thrift shop. Nights is one of the most common Saturn games avalible, you can pick it up for $10-20. This is, of course, assuming you use a sniping service (you can debate ethics all you want, but the bottom line is how badly do you want it), and not being suckered in by the shitty prices they put on "Buy it Now".

And of course, Nights is far from the only good game on the system, you can pick up Virtua Fighter 2, Fighters Megamix, Virtual On, Daytona USA, Virtua Cop, Burning Rangers, Sonic R, Clock Work Knight, Sega Rally, and if you're lucky one of the Panzer Dragoon games and Radiant Silvergun. The Saturn was not a bad game console by any stretch of the imagination, it just was out at a time when everyone was expecting another 32X or Sega CD and plus it too much of a pain in the ass to program for. And I think it was pretty expensive too.

I've already got Sonic R for the PC. Clock Work Knight has always intriged me. I might check this out once I'm not hurting for money..... :kitty:

Darth Marsden
04-09-2007, 02:48 PM
I've got Sonic R on PC and Gamecube (Sonic Gems Collection).

Owned.

The_Amaster
04-09-2007, 03:02 PM
I've got Sonic R, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and both Sega Smash Packs on PC, so there.