PDA

View Full Version : .z file?

TheBestGamer
03-24-2007, 02:59 PM
I would like to import a script, but I have learned that I must first save it in a .z file. How do I do this?

Nimono
03-24-2007, 03:06 PM
I would like to import a script, but I have learned that I must first save it in a .z file. How do I do this?

Do just that. When saving the file, just type the file's name, then add ".z' to the end. It'll always save the file as whatever extension you tack onto the end of it. Like, if you saved a file as "dsjfsdgjg.you", the file would be saved as a .you file instead of the normal extension a program would save it as. ;)

TheBestGamer
03-24-2007, 03:07 PM
I tried that. It turned into a .txt file anyway. What program are you using?

Edit: Nevermind, it worked this time. But it says it can't "open or parse input file". Coincidentally, I am trying to import YOUR Cane of Somaria script. So maybe you can help with this problem. Any ideas?

Nimono
03-24-2007, 03:51 PM
I tried that. It turned into a .txt file anyway. What program are you using?

Edit: Nevermind, it worked this time. But it says it can't "open or parse input file". Coincidentally, I am trying to import YOUR Cane of Somaria script. So maybe you can help with this problem. Any ideas?

Nope, can't help. Quite a few people got that problem. It's a compiler error, I'm afraid. Can't really do much of that... I'm sure it said "Cannot cast from WTF to bool", right?

TheBestGamer
03-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Nope, can't help. Quite a few people got that problem. It's a compiler error, I'm afraid. Can't really do much of that... I'm sure it said "Cannot cast from WTF to bool", right?

No, actually. That's not what it said. Here's exactly what it says:

PASS 1: PARSING
LINE 1: SYNTAX ERROR, UNEXPECTED LBRACE, EXPECTING $END, ON TOKEN {
FATAL ERROR P00: CAN'T OPEN OR PARSE INPUT FILE!

Does that help?

Nimono
03-24-2007, 06:51 PM
No, actually. That's not what it said. Here's exactly what it says:

PASS 1: PARSING
LINE 1: SYNTAX ERROR, UNEXPECTED LBRACE, EXPECTING $END, ON TOKEN {
FATAL ERROR P00: CAN'T OPEN OR PARSE INPUT FILE!

Does that help?

O_o That face should explain it all. No, it doesn't exactly help, and it shouldn't do that. After all, it's basically saying it wants the script to end the moment it begins! Obviously a compiler error....

TheBestGamer
03-24-2007, 07:09 PM
O_o That face should explain it all. No, it doesn't exactly help, and it shouldn't do that. After all, it's basically saying it wants the script to end the moment it begins! Obviously a compiler error....

Looks like I'm not getting anywhere, then. I guess I'll try again closer to 2.5's release. Thanks for the help.

Saffith
03-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Line 1? Given pikaguy's coding style, there shouldn't be any braces until at least line 2. Maybe you didn't copy the very beginnning?

TheBestGamer
03-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Really? I copied from the very beginning of the script, including the notes at the top. There's no way I could have missed a line after those notes, but before the actual script starts. I'll go check the file. Maybe Wordpad messed it up when I copied it.

Edit: I just checked, and the script is exactly how it was in Pikaguy's thead. It's got to be the compiler.

DarkDragon
03-27-2007, 04:09 AM
Compilation is failing during parsing, not compiling, and parsing is automated by Bison, so I'm hesitant to blame the compiler.
Could you please export the buffer and give me the exact .z file you're trying to compile? I agree with Saffith, there's almost certainly an extraneous { on line 1.

TheBestGamer
03-28-2007, 10:40 PM
I thought I'd give it another look, and it turns out Wordpad messed up the file after all. I tried again in Notepad, and I'm pretty sure it is working now. Thanks for the help!

DarkDragon
03-29-2007, 04:23 AM
Cool, glad the problem's fixed.

pkmnfrk
03-31-2007, 07:49 AM
I thought I'd give it another look, and it turns out Wordpad messed up the file after all. I tried again in Notepad, and I'm pretty sure it is working now. Thanks for the help!

Ah, you were trying to save it as an RTF. You can still use Wordpad, but first choose "Text Document" in the save as window, then put in the "name.z"

(RTF files are plain text, with control codes that are marked {with braces})